No announcement yet.

Wichita State at Tulsa Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing about the NIT is that it is harder to get in as an at large team than it was when we last played in it. With all regular season conference champions that don't get in the NCAA getting automatic bid to the NIT, there are less at large spots available. I like this rule but it makes an NIT bid for WSU less likely and a real long shot.

Comment

• Shock Top
      Shock Top commented
      Editing a comment
      WSU sells tickets, which will appeal to the NIT

• Nice road win. Yes, DD was focused last night, stroking the treys, rebounding as usual, and has a great upside to develop a "tough as nails defense," but without foul trouble in due time. Speaking of rebounds, DD has really impressed me and again led our team last night with 8. In earlier games this Season, he also got us some crucial rebounds at key times. ES was 2nd in rebounds for the Shocks with 7 last night. At times, some of our Freshmen are looking mature and finding their specific roles in the confines of ou needed team play. Shocker teams of times past were road warriors and made themselves very much at home on the road. Last night was a positive glimpse that this Shocker team is knocking on the door of future nice winning streaks. With Memphis coming to town, we remember how they drove the ball down the Shocks throat last time as we fouled them way too much. Just hoping our beloved Shocks grab them Tigers by the tail, declaw them, and find a way to defeat them at 21st and Hillside. No sweeping our Shocks allowed now because the Shocks owe them grief, and will give their all to find a way to win this difficult game.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• duplication. Disregard. Maybe my shortest post ever & forever as a FSF? Muhahaha!!!
      Last edited by forevershockerfan; February 21, 2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

There is a very real probability of going 5-0 the rest of the way. Memphis at home will be our toughest test. @SMU will be tough, but i think we can handle them. UCONN without Adams, ECU and @Tulane should be easily winnable.

That would be 11-7 and should be good enough for the 5 seed in the AAC tourney or possibly a 4 seed if UCF struggles with their extremely backloaded schedule. They are 9-3 and still have @Cincy, SMU, @USF, @Houston, Cincy, @Temple. They could go 2-4 there easily. We would have the tie breaker with them.
        I do wish I had your enthusiasm and outlook. A 20 point win at Tulsa is a one game event. Our fans have been tricked before thinking we have turned the corner. I believe we are inching our way to improvement. We still have a team that is still figuring itself out, which means the REAL PROBABILITY is not going 5-0. I may be spending money on several steak dinners, but I owe you one for sure if we go 5-0 (which I wouldn't mind paying up on). Plus, if we go 5-0 I want you to give me other life tips!

Comment

• Stickboy46
          Stickboy46 commented
          Editing a comment
          We've had a pretty good 6 game stretch. Even the loss at Cincy wasn't horribly played ... just poor shooting.

• A couple more points I don't think I've seen high lighted yet. Our PG's had 17 assists and only 2
        turnovers. That is outstanding ! Good ball movement showed the seniors DON'T have to carry
        the load all the time. It means that good ball movement results in better shots for everyone and
        better offense. AM set the tone inside right off the bat defensively and you could see Tulsa was
        intimidated inside by him and JE. More cowbells ( ball movement ) please !

Comment

• 24 assists and only 8 turnovers is a great sign on the cold and lonely rode. It's not often that a Shocker gets 10 assists in one game as did Mr. Burton. He sounds like a future double/double candidate as does DD. When JB gets his outside shooting touch in more laser fashion, watch out AAC.

Comment

• I think I saw this mentioned before, but the play of the game, by far, was the Stevenson chase down block. Great hustle and athleticism. The type of thing that he brings every night even when he’s throwing up the air balls. Great play

Comment

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              He had a great hustle save out of bounds too, it just got saved to Tulsa.

• shock-it-to-me
              shock-it-to-me commented
              Editing a comment
              And of course, Jones’ three right before half was huge as well.

• asiseeit
              asiseeit commented
              Editing a comment
              I mentioned it as the play of the game not only for the play itself but because they were
              on a 6-0 run at the time about to make it 8-0 but he blocked the lay up, we rebounded and
              scored to regain momentum

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

There is a very real probability of going 5-0 the rest of the way. Memphis at home will be our toughest test. @SMU will be tough, but i think we can handle them. UCONN without Adams, ECU and @Tulane should be easily winnable.

That would be 11-7 and should be good enough for the 5 seed in the AAC tourney or possibly a 4 seed if UCF struggles with their extremely backloaded schedule. They are 9-3 and still have @Cincy, SMU, @USF, @Houston, Cincy, @Temple. They could go 2-4 there easily. We would have the tie breaker with them.
            As weird as this sounds, I think I would almost rather be a 5 than a 4. We'd essentially get a free win against Tulane in the 5-12 game...you'd hope so anyway. We'd also have a game to adjust to the atmosphere. Sometimes, it seems that the team who has played a game has a better start against a team playing its first tournament game.

The downside to playing (presumably) Tulane first is the rating drag that you would take. Still, I'd rather be sitting at 20-13 than to be at 19-13 when the NIT bracket is posted.

(Of course, I obviously would enjoy winning on Sunday in Memphis, but I am tempering those thoughts.)
            Last edited by WuShock16; February 21, 2019, 01:19 PM.
            78-65

Comment

• Being in Tulsa I was able to sit close to the bench for the first time this year. The thing that stood out the most is that this will be Erik’s team for the next 3 years. He is constantly talking with Gregg and he’s the only player you consistently hear talking from 15 rows up. It’s been obvious from the start he has the Play Angry but it was cool to see the talking up close.

With Dexter and Jamarius playing extremely well I caught some glimpses of March 2022 and it was bright.

Comment

• shocks02
                shocks02 commented
                Editing a comment
                You mean March 2020?

• WuShock16
                WuShock16 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm. My glimpse of March 2022 might or might not include Dexter Dennis...at least not in a college basketball uniform.

• Topshock
                Topshock commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, Wushock16, we need to enjoy DD next year and if lucky the one after, but at the same time be prepared for an early college exit.

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
              Interesting tidbit about DD if it hasn't been talked about yet, is that he started last night. Apparently he had "taken himself" out of the starting lineup previously. If that's true, I'd say it is a very good sign that he is back in. This likely means dude is starting to feel it. He is getting some serious confidence. WATCH OUT! He has huge potential.
              I think that’s a great sign of leadership and maturity for a freshman to recognize his issues, take himself out of a starting role, figure things out, get back in and look extremely impressive.

Not sure how many players would actually pull that move. And the fact that it appears to be paying off is doubly awesome.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Only guy I can think of is Carl Hall asking to come off the bench his junior year

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                I think 3G said he was going to shake up his lineup and he would determine who starts regardless of any individual player's desires. The evidence suggests it worked but hard to directly link the good play to that move.

• Film study might actually be somewhat enjoyable when they review this game although I'm sure coach will be able to find enough things that they still need to work on. But, if nothing else, he has "a see what happens if you do it this way moment" especially with the offense.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                Shocktoberfest commented
                Editing a comment
                If our bigs can just stop the silly "but I was going straight up" fouls, I would be thrilled.

• wusphlash
                wusphlash commented
                Editing a comment
                Film study is going to be a lot about rebounding and blocking out. Everyone sitting behind the bench had to notice how many times he covered his mouth when talking to the players on that subject. I don't think it was to cover halitosis or anything like that.

• Not sure if it was mentioned already but can the guard from Tulsa please shave his right arm? Was anyone else disturbed by it or wonder why he has tricep pubic hair?

Comment

• the writeup in the Tulsa paper is kind of interesting.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth last nights game was hopefully one that can be used as a focal point as the game where the pieces started falling in place. Loved RT dribble penetration and kick out passes to a shooter. DD was an ice cold blood killer. Rob Brown elevated and seemed to hang suspended defying gravity itself. ES was a journeyman on the boards and put his body in harms way going after loose balls. JB was steady distributing the ball. SJH hit the shots he is capable of hitting when we needed. The bigs had good moments even though there is still the tendency to go air borne and commit a foul but still made their presence known. Maybe this is the moment of Revelation for these young players and now know what it takes to win

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  the writeup in the Tulsa paper is kind of interesting.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/co...543f39faa.html
                  Thanks for posting the link; two good articles and a nice slide deck of pictures.

Comment

• pie n eye
                    pie n eye commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SHOCKvalue Really? Lol. I don’t think the writer was referring to the attractiveness of our players.

• WuDrWu
                    WuDrWu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Would someone refresh my memory on Guerin Emig, one of the beat writers for the Tulsa World. I'd bet a fair amount of money that name coincides with something related to Wichita...perhaps the Wings? Help please...….

• Shocker1976
                    Shocker1976 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Guerin is a KU graduate. I don't know of any link to Wichita
                Working...
                X