Wichita State at Cincinnati Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Maybe it's a trust issue but we throw it to the post less than any team I can recall...
    I think it’s a selfish issue.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• As a group, we are bad passers. How many times do you see our guys throw it at each other’s feet? When we throw it in the post it’s off target. On top of that JE has the weakest hands of any big man I’ve seen at WSU. One swipe at the ball is all it takes to strip him.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
        Asbjorn and Poor Bear were 4 of 6 from the field. All 4 baskets were the result of an offensive rebound. Not one was assisted. I hope this gets fixed next year.
        Then when we did try to get it inside, it was via a bounce pass even Mick Cronin would have to bend over to pick up.
        Last edited by shoxlax; February 18, 2019, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• RoyalShock
          RoyalShock commented
          Editing a comment
          A Mick Cronin, Mike Cohen love child? Yikes!

• One of ES' worst games, however, one of his threes was an attempt where he was passed the
        ball at the end of the shot clock and was stuck with having to chuck it up. I watch him a lot and
        on another sequence he made a sharp back cut from the wing to the basket and was wide open
        under the basket while SHJ dribbled out front and didn't see him. Thought his defense was a little
        better overall yesterday. Bottom line, despite a below average game, I have NOT changed my on
        his abilities. His shooting fundamentals, BBIQ and intensity are all things I still rate very high. I
        think once the seniors are gone and replaced by better team players it will benefit ES and our big
        men quite a bit.

Comment

• While it would be amazing, I don't thing there is any chance, as in none that WSU wins the AAC Tournament. At this point the NIT seems like a big stretch also. Tulsa game is a big one for an NIT scenario. Too the lesser tournaments: just say no.

Comment

• BOBB
            BOBB commented
            Editing a comment
            Agrees. Need to win at least 4 of our last 6 plus two games in the tourney to get to 18 wins if I count right. I thinkbthatbis a tall order with this squad, but possible. I will settle for an absolute drubbing of Memphis.

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            The house should be full and rocking for the Memphis game... that game has been circled on my calendar for several weeks. This old man's going to bring the fire...

https://media.giphy.com/media/5a6Y7Fe0TT50Q/giphy.gif

• shockerfanmas
            shockerfanmas commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd have to disagree about saying no to the CBI or CiT. With so much youth on the team, ANY postseason tournament to get the guys more games, more experience is a plus. I'd be very disappointed if we turned down an invite to the CBI.

• Current record: 12-12

1. Win out (6-0) and add 1 game from AAC Tournament: 19-13
          2. Finish 4-2 +1 game from AAC: 17-15
          3. Finish 3-3 +1 game from AAC: 16-16

Somebody smarter than I, with this whole Quadrant/Tier/Romulan/Federation thing, what are the chances we could go NIT this year under any of the 3 scenarios? Because to even be HAVING this discussion after what happened to end last season/begin this season, is just mind boggling. :poster_shocks:

Comment

• WuShock16
            WuShock16 commented
            Editing a comment
            Is there a reason that you didn’t include possibility of going 5-1 with a tournament win?

• We actually played a good game on the road against a Top 20 team (just as we played well on the road against Houston, a Top 20 team). Both of those teams could do some damage in the NCAA Tournament, and to play well on the road with so many Freshman and first year Div. 1 players isn't a letdown.

To sum up the game:
          1. Our three 5's played as well as we have all year - 17 points, 25 rebounds, and 6 blocks is a winning combination, as good as any of our best years. We can win with these 5's in the future and I think they are all showing improvement.
          2. Our free throw shooting has been improving and we were great yesterday.
          3. Dexter Dennis played, maybe his best game. He showed his strength underneath, and quickness by rebounding (13), and scoring (14). He was not quite ready to match Cumberland on defense but he's getting better.
          4. McDuffie played an average game for him. He didn't shoot a good percentage, he forced a couple of shots, but our team struggles to score, only scoring 64 (24 in the first half) and he definitely puts pressure on himself to score when we are struggling. As a positive, McDuffie did rebound well.
          5. All of our kids played hard and didn't wither under the pressure that a team like Cincinnati can bring on the road.
          6. Now for the bad. Our guards couldn't play with Cincinnati on the road and couldn't make any shots. Too many times, Cincy guards sagged off of our guards and we couldn't make even 15' shots. We have seen JB, ES, and SHJ all shoot well and play great but when all 3 shoot badly, we are going to struggle.

Next year, we need to have more consistent shooting from our guards. I think ES and JB will improve, but we need 1 or 2 more guards that can score whenever we need it for consistency. Maybe Tyson E. will be that guy, but I wouldn't mind getting Sherfield to ensure our scoring. I think he's ready to play immediately.

I also wouldn't mind any of the 4 listed in the article the other day. All are probably immediate help. However, Josephat Bilat is very intriguing and possibly a game changer at the 4 and 5. At 6'10 and with a 7'2 wingspan, and with the perimeter skills he showed (Eldridge said he could play the 3,4, and 5), he is definitely intriguing. We don't have any openings yet but with the transfer game that is now played, we better be prepared. Something probably will happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
            Thought all the centers played well for the most part. AM had the best game of his career, at times showing some ability to protect the basket. I hope it's not just because outsider of Cumberland Cincinnati is pretty inept inside. Think DD is gradually on his way to being a force. Still think it would be beneficial to replace 2 or 3 players with upgrades.

The difference between winning and losing can be very fine at this level. With the new players that already will be playing next year and a couple more upgrades, next year has the potential to be fun.
            Definitely the ONLY position where the Bearcats didn't have the advantage. The post looks good heading into next year.

Comment

• Quick hitters:

1. Based on nothing more than a gut feeling - which is where the you what comes from - I think we have a real real shot at the NIT. I agree with the 18/19 win threshold that others have mentioned, but figuratively speaking I think that instead of being 12-12 in their eyes we can add 1 win for the strength of schedule, 1 win for the “last 10 games” dynamic (assuming we continue to improve and finish 4-3 including the tournament), and 1 win for being able to sell 10,000 tickets to a fuggin NIT game. Actually, that last one might be worth 4 wins. Although I guess it gets complicated if we’re not even close to having a resume good enough to justify a top 4 favorite seed and therefore a home game - in that case the ticket sales might not be worth anything. I think the bottom line here is that I’m very happy to be uninformed about NIT seeding after having not thought about it for 7 years.

2. I don’t know if it’s different in D1 ball versus the games I played in, but if the other team is switching a lot it’s usually a good idea to make the screener more active. Didn’t see much of that yesterday.

3. As I’ve repeatedly stated all year, I am extremely happy with the team in general and the freshmen in particular. But good god almighty there are about 6-8 decisions every game that I can’t see them making their senior year in high school. And while I will reiterate the fact that this conference is a way tougher row to hoe than anyone gives it credit for, there’s not really an excuse for the percentage of possessions that end with the ball in a passive position 5 or more feet outside the 3 point line with less than 7 seconds left on the shot clock. I think the coaching job and contributions from newcomers this year has been good to excellent depending on the game, but that is the glaring deficiency to me.

4. If you would have told me preseason or at any time during the first ten games that our two games against Cincy would be the lead-in prime time Saturday/Sunday game on the two college basketball flagship stations (CBS and ESPN), I would have gotten a queasy feeling and had flashbacks to watching an early 90s team losing 95-48 or something at BYU on CBS. These two outcomes were not only better than expected, but good learning experiences for a young team.

5. That being said, the game yesterday wasn’t as close as the score indicated.

6. There is no reason why this program shouldn’t have a defensive answer for a Cumberland next year and on a perpetual basis. I think it’s understandable that there will be frontcourt problems sometimes, but a 6-5 combo guard is right in GM’s wheelhouse to be able to run 2-3 guys at and wear him down. I’d like to think that’s Burton and Teddy next year, assuming we can get a pure PG and move JB to the two.

7. I love the rebounding stats but I think I fall more towards the 3G end of the scale in thinking “when you shoot it like we do you’re going to have plenty of chances to rebound”.

8. To paraphrase how I used to describe Fridge Holman - “the seniors giveth and the seniors taketh away”. If they can shoot 45 percent or better - and more importantly, if we can run our offense well enough to limit the need for their FG attempts to less than 20 or so combined per game - I think we have a real chance to win every game. Or a ~67 percent chance to win 4.

9. Regardless, plenty of room on the remaining schedule to put Uncle Mo on the team bus. I’m optimistic. The good news, fellas, is that you only have to be freshman once. The bad news is that you only have one freshman year and 3 left at the most. Make the most of it!

10. You know how you get songs stuck in your head and want everyone else to have the same thing? Well I just had the image (realization?) that WstateU is Captain Kick from the old Wichita Wings games. What I can’t figure out is how he manages to get his hands on the keyboard while wearing that outfit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

10. You know how you get songs stuck in your head and want everyone else to have the same thing? Well I just had the image (realization?) that WstateU is Captain Kick from the old Wichita Wings games. What I can’t figure out is how he manages to get his hands on the keyboard while wearing that outfit.
                I was leaning more towards Krazy George

Comment

• Kung Wu
                  Kung Wu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That guy was awesome!

• -I hope we can get this effort from Dennis on a more consistent basis.

-Stevenson really needs to work on his decision making. When to shoot, when to pass or drive, etc. And stop leaving your feet without a plan! And the weak bounce passes delivered at poor angles! That can be said about other guards as well.

-I’m a big Jamarius fan but I think the opportunity is there next year for a good freshman to get big minutes at PG by year end if they’re good enough.

-Cumberland is really freaking good (duh) and that had to have been one of his best games of the season. He had it on a string.

-Getting beat up by teams like Houston and Cincinnati is hopefully a good lesson for the young guys who are the future leaders of the team.

-I didn’t expect to win the game but I didn’t get the impression the team came in with that mentality. They competed 40 minutes and didn’t quit when it could’ve gone to 20+ points late. The stretch to end the first half was the fatal blow.

Comment

• If we could just shoot the ball better. Still holding out hope we get HOT in the AAC Tourney. Good defense...tons of hustle...and a 38% shooting from the field could win that thing! Go Shocks!!!
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I think it’s a selfish issue.
                    Probably right

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't think it's selfishness. I just think we are very young and inexperienced and we don't know what it takes to win on a consistent basis. Only one of our players (McDuffie) has seen what it takes to win on a consistent basis. That isn't enough to really know what it takes. McDuffie can't do it by himself and SHJ doesn't really understand either, not because of anything but he hasn't been there.

• IPBC was solid; watch RT and RB at about the 30 second mark. I had to watch it several times in slo-mo. Lol!

P.S. I give up on trying to post a tweet from my phone; guess the old pea-brain is past its prime.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• shock
                      shock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Play ipbc with midtgaard

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    IPBC was solid; watch RT and RB at about the 30 second mark. I had to watch it several times in slo-mo. Lol!

P.S. I give up on trying to post a tweet from my phone; guess the old pea-brain is past its prime.
                    Thanks for the post. IPBC was in beast mode! Great effort and a lot of good things he did for others to learn from. On the other hand, there was also a lot going on wrong from most everyone else. Not blocking out, missing closer open teammates, and questionable shots.

Comment

Working...
                    X