Dear Negative Nancies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrshock
    KC getting blasted for having a valid point. There's something new.

I posted something last night about them only being 2-19 from the arc and got blasted too. Yes they won. That's great. But you aren't gonna keep winning when you only shoot 33% from the field and 11% from 3. And if, like Rosewood said, they were wide open 3s, then why in the hell are they only making 11%? It's time to quit shooting them if they can't hit the open ones.

We'll have to see how Saturday turns out before people have the right to blast those that have been negative. And for those that think this game fixed everything, you're sadly mistaken.
    So give up the outside game because Gal, Matt, and PJ are cold? Whatever.

I will never criticize Matt for taking a wide open 3 because he can and will make those shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood

I posted something last night about them only being 2-19 from the arc and got blasted too. Yes they won. That's great. But you aren't gonna keep winning when you only shoot 33% from the field and 11% from 3. And if, like Rosewood said, they were wide open 3s, then why in the hell are they only making 11%? It's time to quit shooting them if they can't hit the open ones.

We'll have to see how Saturday turns out before people have the right to blast those that have been negative. And for those that think this game fixed everything, you're sadly mistaken.

I will never criticize Matt for taking a wide open 3 because he can and will make those shots.
      But as long as they are shooting 11% from 3, they should consider maybe taking a closer shot. Yes they will start falling eventually, but damn, how many f'n 3s are we gonna keep shooting and hitting none of them.

Comment

If they are good shots and they are open

Take them

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood

But as long as they are shooting 11% from 3, they should consider maybe taking a closer shot. Yes they will start falling eventually, but damn, how many f'n 3s are we gonna keep shooting and hitting none of them.
          "You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

My wife coaches an area youth girls team and this is their motto.

:good:
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I am all for shooting out of a slump. but that doesn't mean you have to shoot 3's until you make them. Step in taking a higher percentage shot and step back out as you get comfortable, thats how I coach, take the best shot you can. Just cause you are open doesn't mean you should shoot right away,

Comment

Originally posted by Shox151
              I am all for shooting out of a slump. but that doesn't mean you have to shoot 3's until you make them. Step in taking a higher percentage shot and step back out as you get comfortable, thats how I coach, take the best shot you can. Just cause you are open doesn't mean you should shoot right away,
              In Div 1 basketball, if you hesitate for a second, you're guarded, and your shot is no longer wide open. Telling these guys to pass up wide open shots is a terrible idea. These guys don't have the luxury to "step back as they feel comfortable," because stepping in means shooting a guarded jumper. This isn't high school or a league at the Y, its Division 1 basketball. Sometimes the only shot, and the best shot, they'll get in 35 seconds is a 3, and if its wide open they shouldn't be passing them up, 11% or 65%.
              "You can observe a lot just by watching."
              -- Yogi Berra

Comment

BA, I don't buy that the only shot you'll get in 35 seconds is a 3. That means you're not trying to get the ball inside, or anywhere else.

So it was ok for the team to just keep firing away from 3 at UMKC, even though it cost them a W? You do what you gotta do, but their inability to make the 3 is gonna cost them alot more than if they'd just take a higher percentage (which is damn near everything right now) shot.

Everyone says to just keep shooting them. I have no clue why. Maybe because for some reason everyone thinks we still have SO and KW who could make them. This is not last year's team, which shot alot better from 3. This year's team just doesn't appear to be able to much from out there.

Comment

BA, I don't buy that the only shot you'll get in 35 seconds is a 3. That means you're not trying to get the ball inside, or anywhere else.

I said "sometimes the only shot you'll get is a 3." We shot 70% of our shots from somewhere other than outside the arc last night. 7/10 times we shot a shot other than a 3. I say thats a pretty good ratio of trying to get the ball inside or anywhere else, and when nothing else was there we shot a 3, a majority of them were wide open. When we start shooting guarded, poor selection 3's is when I'll say we need to move to something else.
                  -- Yogi Berra

Comment

It was more than poor 3 point shooting that cost us at UMKC. The sheer toughness of the team (that I saw vs LSU) was not there vs UMKC.

We all say keep shooting them (and we all includes CGM) because we know Matt and Gal and PJ can make these shots. This is what you do when you are in a slump. Eventually they fall. We saw that last night. Eventually Gal got a shot to go in. MG got one to go down.

Comment

Sometimes though.. I wonder if it's worth it to waste away 15 possessions of chucking up long range junk you haven't been hitting at all. I wish GM wouldn't be so generous with the greenlight when nothing is falling at all whatsoever.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                        Sometimes though.. I wonder if it's worth it to waste away 15 possessions of chucking up long range junk you haven't been hitting at all. I wish GM wouldn't be so generous with the greenlight when nothing is falling at all whatsoever.

As long as we crash the boards and get some offensive rebounds on some of those 3's, we don't waste the possession. The minute CGM tells the guys to stop shooting wide open 3's is when they start getting timid. Timid basketball players don't win games. - I compare it to stealing bases in baseball. If you have a few guys you know can steal bases but they are struggling after a few games, you don't tell them to stop, you keep giving them the greenlight. Eventually they'll hit their stride, find their rhythm and the stolen bases (and the shots) will come.
                        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

The thing is, perimeter players today don't practice the shot from 12-17 feet out, that's a lost art, so I don't think them taking "closer" shots is going to help at all. I gaurantee most players are going to shoot a higher percentage from the 3 point stipe than they would from a few feet in front of it. Plus, there's that extra point you get for those behind the line...

They just need to keep shooting it, they will fall, I'm sure of it.

Comment

But when they move in for that closer, higher percentage shot, they're no longer open and it becomes a bad shot. I'd much rather they continue to shoot open threes. They'll start falling and everyone will forget about it and stop complaining about taking open shots.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                              If they are good shots and they are open

Take them

Comment

Here's a cute stat:

In our last 3 games we have made 8 of 65 three-pointers. Think about that. 8 of 65. That's a solid 12%.

I'm all for shooting 3's at the beginning of games and seeing if they decide to fall. But when you're shooting 8 of 65, the gameplan shouldn't just be... shoot it if you're open, chuck'em up.

Anybody notice last night how good we are down low? Why not keep going to something that's seemingly showing good signs of success? Geez.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X