Tulsa @ WSU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
    Big maturity play for me: Burton grabs the offensive rebound under 2 minutes left and instead of going back up with it kicks it out for a fresh shot clock. That is how you close out games.
    Definitely. I'm not sure his senior guard counterpart would have done the same thing.

There's some solid growth going on.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      SHJ gets crap from you on plays that occur in your imagination. He wa actually quite crucial in crunch time because the primary Tulsa defenders couldn’t stay in front of him.

• Burton with 13 assists and 3 turnovers in the last 2 games. And he is starting to find his shot?! Ummm, keep it up young man!!!
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• We’re definitely seeing our freshmen mature and make better choices under control. There have been many instances where we would rush things, not make the extra pass and panic, taking a bad shot or turning over. Granted these have been home games, but Coach seems like he’s settled on a starting lineup and has our rotation figured out. Players have settled into their roles and are figuring out what it takes to win. Rebounding, don’t turn the ball over and hit a decent percentage of your open shots and leave everything you have on the court and we will win or be in every game we play. Confidence can’t be teached, it is gained by having positive experiences and winning doesn’t hurt.

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
      Frank was probably livid at his own players for that atomic bomb!
      The most likely reason is for bulletin board material for his team that he will try to put to use when the Shocks return to Tulsa.

Comment

• Could be. Looking forward to that game. Planning to go again. Hope we have a big group like last year. We may have had more fans than Tulsa at their arena. Good time!

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          Was really surprised Tulsa stayed in that match-up zone in the final minutes when we had the lead. And glad to see the Shockers work the clock and not chuck it up there. Bad coaching on Tulsa's part I thought. Practically gave us the game.... or I should say didn't give Tulsa a fighting chance. Thanks Coach Haith. 'Preciate that. :)
          Lol. What else were they going to do? I think if they had gone to man to ma our guys would have torn that shreds. He stayed in zone because that's who they are. And it almost won them the game. But in the last 8 minutes we won the 50 to 50 balls, rebounded our missed shots, caused turnovers, and played like our hair was on fire. And our crowd was outstanding. It was so loud in there. And they were turning it over, missing free throws, and playing scared. The only thing Haith could do was call a timeout and try and settle them down.

We must keep in mind that were not the only team that has beaten the Big 12 leader. Tulsa has dominated KState with that match up zone. In fact we did not shoot 3 pointers very well against it either.The game in Tulsa will be a lot tougher.

Comment

• A couple of really feel good home wins over SMU and Tulsa this week. But the key words are "home wins".

But Taylor Eldridge and Coach Marshall had these words of caution:

Before declaring WSU’s season officially on the rise, it’s fair to point out the Shockers have been in this situation before. They won back-to-back games at Koch Arena early in the non-conference play and even strung three wins together at home at one point in December.

What ended all of those streaks? Road losses.

That’s what Marshall needs to see from his Shockers before getting too excited. He knows WSU can beat any team in the American Athletic Conference at Koch Arena. But right now the Shockers have to prove they can beat anybody on the road, with the next challenge coming Wednesday at East Carolina.

“We could go on the road and play terrible at East Carolina,” Marshall said, cautioning too much enthusiasm over a pair of home wins. “We haven’t played well on the road. That’s the next step, is now playing well away from home. I’ll be really happy when we start doing that and I think everybody else will be too. We have some positive momentum now, so the next step is playing well on the road.”

Comment

• I thought at the game that Tulsa’s #10 had a big bicep tattoo. In watching the recording, I see that it is a weird hair patch on his upper arm. And opposing student sections made fun of Ron Baker’s hair.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                A couple of really feel good home wins over SMU and Tulsa this week. But the key words are "home wins".

But Taylor Eldridge and Coach Marshall had these words of caution:

I do agree with this to an extent.

Our road losses NET rankings

All basically q1 games

ECU net: 260

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is a very good observation. On the other hand the Shocks lost those 6 games by an average of 20.1 points. So, yes a tough schedule. Playing well not so much.

But no doubt ECU is a different animal.

• I thought at the game that Tulsa’s #10 had a big bicep tattoo. In watching the recording, I see that it is a weird hair patch on his upper arm. And opposing student sections made fun of Ron Baker’s hair.

Comment

• Opposing fans were jealous of Baker's hair. Even more jealous than most NCAA coaches are of Penny Hardaway's NBA resume.

Comment

• Were my eyes playing tricks on me, or did one of the white players from Tulsa have an extremely hairy arm on just one side of his body?

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                    Were my eyes playing tricks on me, or did one of the white players from Tulsa have an extremely hairy arm on just one side of his body?
                    Curran Scott. Weird. You think you would just shave it. Maybe he thinks it’s like Drew Brees’ birthmark or Blake Simmons’ back and a real trademark.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Somewhere there has to be an explanation for that arm. Maybe it’s like a participation trophy for hitting puberty that he doesn’t want to let go of.

Comment

Working...
                    X