Wichita State vs SMU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
    DEXTER JUST NEEDS TO LEARN NOT TO FOUL!!!!!!

After that, sky's the limit!
    Once he crosses half court on defense he just needs to hold his hands above his head the entire time.

Comment

• On bad teammates, people frequently come up with a hypothesis and everything they see becomes confirmation bias, and they don't notice things to the contrary. After one players's(I think it was JE) and one Markis was the first person over to run over and high five and pump him up. Also one event that really stuck to me early in the year, when RT finally knocked down his first three a couple months ago there literally wasn't a happier person in the gym than Markis, he was bouncing up and down yelling encouragement for like 15 seconds(far longer than the rest of the team). Everyone has moments of being a "bad" teammate, which usually involves being distracted, thinking about a misstep made, or looking over at coach for instruction. Not everything is about selfishness as many ascribe. And even the best teammates miss moments to be a good teammate.

Comment

• AndShock
        AndShock commented
        Editing a comment
        The MM of this year is not the same as previous years, attitude wise. Could be due to a number of reasons; getting older, the losing, or maybe he just doesn’t like certain teammates.

• ShockCrazy
        ShockCrazy commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I think he definitely is different. I think Markis feels a lot of pressure. He's pretty much responsible for our scoring load, nights like last night are amazing, but it's so incredibly rare. I think he also feels the pressure that it's his senior year that the NCAA streak will end. Some of the happy go lucky has definitely been dampened, but he's still fighting which to me should be commended.

• Shocktoberfest
        Shocktoberfest commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with ShockCrazy. And I'm not giving MM an excuse for the different demeanor this year. But put yourself in his shoes. The first 3 years of college, save his injury, have been a magic carpet ride. Now. Uhhhhh. He has all the pressure of being the senior leader while being the lone consistent scoring threat. It isn't his fault that the teammates he really has to rely upon are all freshman. It's just a tough year when you have had such a good run. HCGM can recover from this year. MM cannot. I feel for him on a certain level, but he can still have a great and positive impact for the rest of the season.

• Post game interviews after the game.

Last edited by 1979Shocker; January 31, 2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• The worst I saw Marshall get after DD was after DD went in for a bad layup attempt early in our possession with 6:27 left in the game. We were up by 2, crucial point in the game, and DD missed badly on a shot where it looked like he couldn't figure out what to do after he had already jumped. Chargois got the rebound and fell out of bounds, but Echinique got a late whistle on a questionable foul call.

Media timeout, and Marshall laid into DD, and DD didn't look like he was having any of it.

DD was clearly just trying to make something happen, but both the shot selection and the timing of the attempt were poor. He knew he was going to get his ass chewed before he even saw Marshall's face.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I noticed something in the 2nd half when DD was subbing in for MM. Granted, I was in row 31 opposite the team bench, but DD veered toward MM to give him a low 5 and MM didn't even appear to acknowledge him. I can't recall if MM had just had something not go his way or not, but if what I saw was accurate, you just can't leave your teammate hanging like that, whether a senior or freshman.

Then late in the game one of our guys got hammered going to the basket, went hard to the floor out of bounds. The ref's whistle blew. The ball floated toward MM in the near corner. Instead of leaving the ball alone and going to help up his teammate, Markis grabbed the ball and shot it.

HCGM talks about how good a guy Markis is and how his teammates all like him. But I see some things on the court that indicate he may not be the greatest teammate on the game floor. It's perplexing.

I really hope I'm just misreading this stuff.
          The DD / MM thing was right across from us. DD was having a real tough game, was pumped up to come back in, reach out to MM and MM just walk on by to the bench. Felt real sorry for Dexter.

On the leadership side of things, more than once I've seen the following, including last night. After RT came in during the first half, there was a possession where the ball was moving from left to right under the basket and RT was in a position on the outside right to receive the ball. Before RT received it, he was trying to get SHJ's attention on the far left and farther in to start moving out and to the right. By the time RT had the ball, SHJ still wasn't in position to receive the ball. JB has done the same as RT in trying to direct SHJ into position. It can't help a bunch of newbies look if one senior lacks leadership qualities (not a knock, some just don't have it) and the other is doesn't seem to know what's going on with a play any better, or worse, than the newbies.

I did notice as the players were in line before the anthem, that RT had his arms around the neck and shoulders of the players on each side of him, both were walk-ons, and over on our end, IPBC was being very engaged with those around him. His actions on the bench, and when he is in a game, doesn't appear as someone who doesn't get along with his teammates. Hope he can get on the good side of HCGM.

Comment

• You never know with this team cause they are so up and down, but as far as leadership goes, I think
            that ES and JB are starting to emerge, in fact, IMHO they are our team leaders now.

Comment

• Glad to see Jaime stay out of foul trouble, very important. Did anyone else see him sprint off the floor after pre-game warm-ups? I think he was trying to send a message that he was ready to go. I guess it could have been a bad pre-game meal.

Glad to see Eric making some shots. Mechanics are important but so is confidence. Hopefully the confidence part is getting better.

Glad to see continued good play from Asbjorn. He has a total of 133 minutes on the year. That's less than any other scholarship player not named Chance Moore. 93 or 70% of those minutes have come in the last 6 games (Houston, UCF, Cinn, USF, UCONN and SMU). In those games he is 15 of 22 from the field. While he is certainly a work in progress he has validated those who were simply saying "give him a chance".

Jamarius has played more good games than bad games recently. Very apparent that Gregg has handed him the reins going forward.

Not sure what's going on with Poor Bear but whenever he gets out of Gregg's doghouse I would like to see him get some time at the 4.

It's only a one game winning streak so not too much is assured going into the next game. I will say that I was as much entertained last night as I was disappointed last Tuesday.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Sometimes we(including me)don’t realize this so we post badly imo. I have lived here all my life. I try to be fair and somewhat loyal to my city and alma mater. My family are practically all Shox and have many friends who are Shox. I take some pride in the fact that Dave the Rave came back here fro NY to live and retire, that Cheese has come back to retire, Marshall stayed even with numerous offers, and even that Art Louvar ( not a star) raised his family here and stayed. I feel some pride that Markis has stayed here for 4 years and want to be fair to him and others. Therefore, I try to be fair to Shockers but will admit errors to.
                Speaking of fair and loyalty, you still have failed to mention your former screen name.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  DEXTER JUST NEEDS TO LEARN NOT TO FOUL!!!!!!

After that, sky's the limit!
                  I think your right. But I also think he needs to improve his dribbling. He is good slashing to the basket in the half court game, but I haven't seen him bring it up the court comfortable. Needs to play smarter and improve dribbling.

Comment

• Shock Top
                    Shock Top commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with this.

If he doesn't foul, he'll have more court time to improve this skill! ;)

• To clarify all comments above:

our freshman player needs to improve several parts of his game?

Earthshattering
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Shock Top
                    Shock Top commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just commented about fouling. He can't improve other skills if he isn't on the court like JB and ES are.

In games where DD isn't in consent foul trouble, he's been great. That's why he really needs to focus on playing w/o fouling.

• Random Thoughts:

1. Has IPBC been on the court since coach tried to put him at the end of the UCF (I think) game and got upset at him for not being ready to go, then went with AM for the duration? IPBC’s reaction looked like “what, I said I was ready” to an assistant but was pretty laid back. I think I got the situation right, but it’s hard to tell on television. If anybody saw in person I would be curious for a more informed opinion. I hope that wasn’t the start of a “what’s the point I can never do enough to satisfy him” attitude... I see a lot of upside. Particularly with additional conditioning and normal strengthening that occurs as an upperclassman.

2. Random story from Orlando years ago that I didn’t want to tell at the time - a player who shall remain nameless (but whose name rhymes with Smush Mommakota) jumped up to go in the game after GM gestured at the bench. GM told him to sit back down and someone else went in. On his way back to his seat, from about 30 feet away I could very clearly see Smush say “you said ME, M*****F*****!” In what looked like a not very quiet voice. I see a few “oh sh**” and incredulous looks from other players that confirm it, and right as I’m wincing and thinking “Oh no son, you better hope he didn’t...” Marshall walks him down and gives him 5-7 seconds of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman nose to nose. We didn’t see much of Smush after that. Fortunately I think Chandler is in a different situation.

3. Repeating and increasing something I said weeks ago - if any of you are taking Fred’s freshman performance against Valley guards after Malcolm had worked them over for 8-10 minutes and think Fred would have sliced up these AAC guards as a freshman starter... you’re nuts. N-V-T-S Nuts. In fact, ES and JB might be doing better just because they are so much more physically imposing than Fred was (as a freshman).

4. I haven’t bothered to check the recruiting forum, but JB wasn’t a point guard at any time in his high school career, was he? Helluva job if my assumption is correct, and even though it’s painful now it will be really nice to have him at the 2 against a full court press in future years.

5. I wasn’t necessarily expecting an elaborate set play at the end of the game, but when Coach said “the plan was to get SHJ and MM ball screens and just see what they could get” I was suddenly grateful we didn’t watch a MM contested fallaway. I’m sure he’s a great kid and I think he’s getting more criticism than he deserves, but he is just not a shot creator.

6. I need to go back and rewatch to confirm, but I’m pretty sure I saw a brutal no-call in our favor when ES pushed a guy in the back and went after the loose ball on a crucial end of game possession. So we got at least one.

7. For people concerned about the product on the floor affecting recruiting, I would put it in third place at best behind (2) 2000 (20%!) empty seats for a program that supposedly has a thick-or-thin fan base in the 10th game of the year after a ridiculous 6 year run, and (1) what prospective recruit parents see on this message board being said about young men in a tough situation with comparisons and expectations to past teams/players with an easier situation.

8. Fun fact I try to remind myself of: Indiana has missed the NCAA tournament 8 of the last 15 years, and one of the other years they lost to us. I think we can handle year 1 of a rebuild/reload, so...

9. ETR. Yeah, I said it. Even this year.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                    Shocktoberfest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like all of your points but really, as far as concerns about internet comments, man, that is going to be rampant anywhere a kid goes if the fans give 1/2 a s***. I'm not condoning the bashing of the youngsters, just noting that this is everywhere, unfortunately.

• rjl
                    rjl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Poor Bear had 13 minutes against USF. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

• Good News
                    Good News commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fair point on the internet comments, although I think our fan base is significantly above what many other programs would generate in terms of quantity and strength of negative comments in a Year 1 downtick. What I actually meant and should have written was "for people concerned about the product on the floor affecting recruiting AND who are posting negative individual personal comments about players, you should worry about your voice being a larger negative than the product on the floor at this point".

Thanks rjl - that is probably right but I guess when I saw the negative interaction on the bench and then his minutes were cut so significantly I just didn't remember any appearance at all. Coach has more information and ultimate responsibility, but I hope this turns out like Shaq sitting on the bench for an entire game on Christmas Day in Hawaii rather than... all of the others that got benched and left.

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                  Post game interviews after the game.

Man I really like this interview with ES. He has good basketball IQ and it's refreshing to hear him talk about his struggles, the team struggles, the AAC guards they compete against, and playing in front of WSU fans. " The boys are growing up right in front of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Man I really like this interview with ES. He has good basketball IQ and it's refreshing to hear him talk about his struggles, the team struggles, the AAC guards they compete against, and playing in front of WSU fans. " The boys are growing up right in front of us.
                    Erik seems like someone who could’ve really benefitted from playing and practicing with a couple great upperclassmen guards. It’s too bad that didn’t work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post
                      Random Thoughts:

1. Has IPBC been on the court since coach tried to put him at the end of the UCF (I think) game and got upset at him for not being ready to go, then went with AM for the duration? IPBC’s reaction looked like “what, I said I was ready” to an assistant but was pretty laid back. I think I got the situation right, but it’s hard to tell on television. If anybody saw in person I would be curious for a more informed opinion. I hope that wasn’t the start of a “what’s the point I can never do enough to satisfy him” attitude... I see a lot of upside. Particularly with additional conditioning and normal strengthening that occurs as an upperclassman.

4. I haven’t bothered to check the recruiting forum, but JB wasn’t a point guard at any time in his high school career, was he? Helluva job if my assumption is correct, and even though it’s painful now it will be really nice to have him at the 2 against a full court press in future years.
                      #1 I thought we'd have heard what is going with IPB by now but no one knows or no one is talking. IPBC is not playing because of his ability level. He is as good as the other 5's we have, has had good effort during games, and doesn't appear to be injured. So far, no one is talking. Udeze has a shoulder problem and also has shown decline in his level of play over the past couple of months, but IPBC was showing at least snap shots of good play. If you know, spit it out.

#4 I think that JB was a point guard during high school. However, an injured knee and surgery took away much of his Junior or Senior year or a portion of both and lowered his recruiting profile.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

#1 I thought we'd have heard what is going with IPB by now but no one knows or no one is talking. IPBC is not playing because of his ability level. He is as good as the other 5's we have, has had good effort during games, and doesn't appear to be injured. So far, no one is talking. Udeze has a shoulder problem and also has shown decline in his level of play over the past couple of months, but IPBC was showing at least snap shots of good play. If you know, spit it out.

#4 I think that JB was a point guard during high school. However, an injured knee and surgery took away much of his Junior or Senior year or a portion of both and lowered his recruiting profile.
                        JB was a high school combo guard who suffered a torn ACL which significantly compromised his recruitment

Comment

Working...
                        X