No announcement yet.

New Shocker Athletic Director

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving him credit for the move to the AAC is a joke. Without HCGM elevating the basketball program to a VERY desirable position, the move to the AAC never happens. HCGM deserves the credit for that, IMO.

Comment

And further more, the Under Armor contract?? LOL! Straight up laughable. Without the basketball program being high profile and constantly on national tv, UA isn't coming at WSU.

Comment

Both excellent points MKR.

These are just excuses for extending him. And they're extremely weak.

Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Boatright has been at the helm during a very great period of athletic success including the transformative jump to the AAC. I know you miss the halftime handies Schaus apparently used to give you guys before moving on to make Ohio U into the amazing powerhouse it is today — but this extension isn’t even remotely out of line.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
            Boatright has been at the helm during a very great period of athletic success including the transformative jump to the AAC. I know you miss the halftime handies Schaus apparently used to give you guys before moving on to make Ohio U into the amazing powerhouse it is today — but this extension isn’t even remotely out of line.
            And just for the record, this poster is a pro-Butler guy.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Wuzee
              Wuzee commented
              Editing a comment
              I could give a **** about Butler. I'm a Wichita State fan.

• ShockerFever
              ShockerFever commented
              Editing a comment
              If you’re a WSU fan, you better care about Butler.. getting the **** outta here.

And just for the record ...

Comment

Ok...not to start any kind of firestorm, but because I REALLY don't know the angst against Boatright EXCEPT for baseball, what ARE his sins?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                The "no bottle caps rule" rules is on the AAC. So I guess by blaming ADDB for that you are kind of giving him credit for getting us into the AAC.

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s my understanding that most AAC schools don’t follow that rule. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were the only school with the Gestapo security team (Martin).

• wusphlash
                wusphlash commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems like someone who was at one of our recent road games spoke of caps/lids not being allowed. (It was Dan @ UCONN)
                Last edited by wusphlash; February 8, 2019, 04:32 PM.

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
              Ok...not to start any kind of firestorm, but because I REALLY don't know the angst against Boatright EXCEPT for baseball, what ARE his sins?
              Firstly, he got the AD position by being the only guy in the room to raise his hand when it was announced. To be totally fair, the athletic department was likely still reeling from the "big offer" to Gregg Marshall and Boatwrong was willing to accept the position on an intern's salary. Secondly, he handled the Mini-B firing, that didn't happen last year, like a true amateur.

I have nothing against B-wrong; I'm sure he'd make an excellent assistant facilities director, but at his current position he is overmatched the moment he rolls out of bed. The story is, we didn't have enough money to fire Butler. If that's true, it's 100% on BW. If it's not true, BW made a grave error. Either way, the reality is that we have a baby running our athletic program.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Firstly, he got the AD position by being the only guy in the room to raise his hand when it was announced. To be totally fair, the athletic department was likely still reeling from the "big offer" to Gregg Marshall and Boatwrong was willing to accept the position on an intern's salary. Secondly, he handled the Mini-B firing, that didn't happen last year, like a true amateur.

I have nothing against B-wrong; I'm sure he'd make an excellent assistant facilities director, but at his current position he is overmatched the moment he rolls out of bed. The story is, we didn't have enough money to fire Butler. If that's true, it's 100% on BW. If it's not true, BW made a grave error. Either way, the reality is that we have a baby running our athletic program.

T

Just to dig through the irrelevant crap and sum up: There are no sins other than these guys hate Butler and blame Boatright for his existence on the planet. (Boatright also isn't the most personable or approachable guy, and I suspect that has rubbed some the wrong way. )

Someone on the board used to say "Speak with facts." The Eagle article is filled with facts that I believe support the extension (not a raise, an extension) of Boatright's current contract.

Butler haters should consider this: If you choose to take a one-time, $2.5 million hit to join the AAC two seasons early (incurring greatly increased travel expenses and lost NCAA shares on top of that), then maybe you don't initially have a lot of financial leverage to handle a $900,000 Butler buyout and throw $$$ at a big-name baseball coach. If you don't think they were strapped, you never tried doing business with them during that stretch.

If though, as a result of increased donor and alumni interest in the AAC move, the athletic department is suddenly $1.37 million in the black in year two and free and clear from the planned 5 years of $500,000 payments, you are in significantly better shape, should Butler's three-year trend of improvement not continue, to make a move and go after a big-name hire (let's say Wedgie, for instance). You would also have in your pocket $2.5 million in Phase V funding for a new baseball performance facility and $10.7 million in commitments for the Student-Athlete Success Center as an added attraction for that hire that were just ideas on paper two years ago.

I would stress: If we hadn't jumped early we would be looking forward to a Terre Haute road trip about right now as part of our swan song in the Valley. I think we're in a much better place in myriad ways -- and the director of the athletic department deserves at least an extension for that outcome.
                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• BOBB
                  BOBB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am not a fan of Boatright...at all. Hard to argue with your post though.

• shoxlax
                  shoxlax commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really have tried to see both sides of this discussion but it’s hard to argue with anything you’ve said other than the apparent faux paus of hiring Butler in the first place.

My first interaction with ADDB was 7 Years ago when my late wife was invited to a closed practice when HCGM was told of her cancer returning and given from a few weeks to a couple of months to live. At the time he was an associate AD and he called to set up a time that would accommodate her. He met us in the parking lot at CKA and walked alongside her wheel chair to the practice facility. He stayed with us for as long as we were there and the basketball teams presentation of a signed poster and everyone filing by and hugging her. I’m sure DB could have excused himself but he stayed and walked us to our car and helped get her situated in the front seat. I’m not a big donor and we were treated like we were that day. Every time he has seen me since that day he has acknowledged me with a smile and even a few words as well. So yeah I give him a pass if he hasn’t fired some one as quickly as some would like.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  My first interaction with ADDB was 7 Years ago when my late wife was invited to a closed practice when HCGM was told of her cancer returning and given from a few weeks to a couple of months to live. At the time he was an associate AD and he called to set up a time that would accommodate her. He met us in the parking lot at CKA and walked alongside her wheel chair to the practice facility. He stayed with us for as long as we were there and the basketball teams presentation of a signed poster and everyone filing by and hugging her. I’m sure DB could have excused himself but he stayed and walked us to our car and helped get her situated in the front seat. I’m not a big donor and we were treated like we were that day. Every time he has seen me since that day he has acknowledged me with a smile and even a few words as well. So yeah I give him a pass if he hasn’t fired some one as quickly as some would like.
                  A touching story.

No doubt any one of us on here would have extended the same courtesy and compassion. I'm not arguing whether or not B-Wrong is a swell dude - hell, if he continues on his current mass building trajectory and grows a white beard, he could change his name to St. Nick and I doubt anybody would bat an eye...

Unfortunately the industry in which he is currently employed doesn't reward guys for being nice. In fact, it's the nice guys that finish last. I can give you a plethora of examples if you wish. Look no further than our own head coach.

The handling of the Mini-B situation alone is grounds for termination at any major school. A dereliction of duty doesn't even begin to encapsulate it. Last off-season, Mini-B was walking around with his jugular exposed waiting for somebody - anybody - to make the lethal strike finishing him off; B-Wrong meanwhile, hid in his office. I can't imagine there wasn't enough financial support amongst the baseball boosters to make the change. If there was sufficient support yet B-Wrong chose to make an "executive decision" giving Mini-B one more chance at the ol' plate... well... then our situation is far worse than I thought.

T

Comment

Maybe this thread ought to be moved to the baseball forum since Butler seems to be the main topic.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

“The Story” was only shared to show a side that people might not see or know. Your assumption from all of that is that DB is a nice guy and not worthy to be an AD here. According to you nice guys finish last in this industry, so by that definition to be successful a person must be what. An ass, a jerk? Someone that reacts to a few vocal fans to handle a situation they feel is of utmost importance? That would be the kind of guy I would just die to work for or have associated with WSU because he is a winner. Oh wait Charlie Sheen has that “Winning “ moniker. That’s worked well for him lately. But I do find it ironic that ADDB was given an extension by the same man you, me and others hold in esteem

Comment

“The Story” was only shared to show a side that people might not see or know. Your assumption from all of that is that DB is a nice guy and not worthy to be an AD here. According to you nice guys finish last in this industry, so by that definition to be successful a person must be what. An ass, a jerk? Someone that reacts to a few vocal fans to handle a situation they feel is of utmost importance? That would be the kind of guy I would just die to work for or have associated with WSU because he is a winner. Oh wait Charlie Sheen has that “Winning “ moniker. That’s worked well for him lately. But I do find it ironic that ADDB was given an extension by the same man you, me and others hold in esteem
                        Correct. The majority of winners in college athletics are fairly abrasive individuals by most people's standards. They excel in competitive environments and have total confidence. Those same people wouldn't last 3 months in the corporate world. B-Wrong is a corporate type which quickly becomes a glaring deficiency in the context of a major athletic department. Yes, he should carry a friendly disposition amongst the boosters, but his core competency should be that of a strong and capable CEO inside the athletic department offices - basically a carbon copy of Jim Schaus. And at Wichita State he also has to be a helluva fundraiser.

I already addressed The Bardo on this issue. While I personally believe he is a god, there are others who don't (many are WSU employees). And he's been sick lately. To give a man that fell into his current position a sizable contract extension in the face of significant management decision questions, is eyebrow raising to say the least.

T

Comment

According to you nice guys finish last in this industry, so by that definition to be successful a person must be what. An ass, a jerk?
                          Yep. Maybe that's why Cold is an ass on the internet everyday. So he can feel like a winner.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                            C0|dB|00ded commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You've got me pegged!

T

Working...
                        X