The Basketball Tournament - Wichita Regional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

With nothing to go on other than what I’ve seen this year, that probably wouldn’t be a horrible idea. Of course as today’s attendance shows, if a local team isn’t involved, it might not be that well attended in Wichita anymore so than anywhere else. But I’d give this fan base more credit than any other.
    Wichita would draw better than anywhere else. I would guess ease/cost of travel would be the biggest deterrent.

Comment

• Marquette should get a decent crowd next week. Their fans travel I seem to recall and it's not far to Milwaukee.

Comment

• Just saw Fran Fraschilla on ICT-DFW. Asked him how it was working w Mike Kennedy. He says Mike is great and Shocker fans are the best. No surprise on either count and maybe just pleasantries, but nice to hear regardless.

Comment

• Kennedy loves working with Fran. The word is as long as Wichita wants to put a team together, Koch will be a regional. No surprise there...it's business.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            If a Tulsa team or OU team were in our regional, it would help the crowd
            Neither team draws well at there own home games so I really don’t think that would help much.

Comment

• Next year we need Rob Baker. SHJ and MM too.

Comment

• Echenique will also qualify if he’s up for it. I’d take him over Stutz.

Comment

• I was basically totally off the gird this weekend and unable to follow the AfterShocks on Friday.

But according to Sully's post-game RH Report:

In the Koch Arena media room, AfterShocks guard Clevin Hannah looked at the stat sheet. Sideline Cancer out-rebounded AfterShocks 39-23, 15-8 on the offensive glass. Hannah shook his head and muttered "You're not going to win that way."

Sideline Cancer also made 14 of 31 three-pointers – 11 from guards Remy Abell, Maurice Creek and Marcus Keene – to overmatch a 4-of-20 performance by the AfterShocks.
                  Ouch!

Looking forward to next summer Bradley and his coaches now possess a better idea of how the TBT is played and how they should construct a roster. Injuries limited their backcourt depth and robbed them of some excellent defensive guards, a significant issue in a tournament in which backcourt play dominates.

"This is professional, high-level basketball," Bradley said. "I'll look at the film myself and figure out ways I could have been better. We'll look at it and be better."

Toure Murry, Tekele Cotton and Joe Ragland were in town and didn't play, due to minor injuries. They and other former Shockers might help in the future.

"The younger guys got to know the older guys and we blended that really well," Bradley said. "We had guys that wanted to play this year and they'll come back healthy next year and ready to go."
                  Looking forward to having the AfterShocks back again next summer.

Comment

• I'll be waiting for Cotton to be announced in the starting lineup before purchasing future tickets.

Having said that, it was a lot of fun.

Comment

• GM proved his worth once again. These teams will always be absent of that element...Temper expectations.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                        GM proved his worth once again. These teams will always be absent of that element...Temper expectations.
                        GM is a hall of fame coach, 100% in my mind.

But I’m not going to read too much into what happened over a two game sample size. One of which we won and the other could have very easily been a win on a different night. This was a new experience for all involved and we were short two of our better perimeter defenders.

Bradley already said that they will take what they learned this year and apply it to next so my expectation is that, health and scheduling allowing, next years team will be better than this years. Whether that means a different result...who can say at this point.

Comment

• BostonWu
                          BostonWu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My comment wasn't meant to be a slightly again KB but rather my opinion that the aftershocks will not necessarily possess a coaching advantage unlike the real team. That's a huge difference.

• Is Evan Wessel still in shape?

What am I saying. Nevermind.

Comment

• WstateU
                          WstateU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Probably not, he's too busy counting/managing other peoples money. :)

• shockrah
                          shockrah commented
                          Editing a comment
                          He was, but they took his scholarship for Murray.

• pinstripers
                          pinstripers commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I hear that he is not in shape

• Teams apply to specific regions, correct? Next year will be interesting with everyone applying for Wichita. I would guess TBT is under no obligation to accept the best applicants and are incentivized to put the 6 worst teams in Wichita. I don’t have a ton of knowledge on TBT but I heard that Wichita was stacked multiple times.

Comment

• That was a fun weekend. I can't wait for the tournament to come back next year. They would be crazy not to give Wichita a regional again. I would bet we nearly outdrew the entire rest of the tournament combined! This is a business, they have quickly realized what they have here in Wichita with this rabid fan base.

I loved seeing our guys back on the floor at Koch. Cleven Hannah was so good. That hesitation move he put on Saturday afternoon was a thing of beauty! I could watch it as many times as a TC dunk! I am looking forward to my next view of the Aftershocks!
                          Go Shocks!

Comment

• Hoping we do this again. Adding among such players as Ragland, JE, Toure, Baker, Carl Hall, Cotton, and Armstead, and MM to the best of the best from this year's team would be finer than a frog hair.
                            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                            X