No announcement yet.

Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This current team not only can't shoot but also possesses some of the worst defender we have seen in a long time. Per synergy here are the worst individual defensive years we have had come through the program since winning the NIT
    1 Rod Brown FR. 2%
    2. Ranu Nurger SR 4%
    3. Morris Udeze 7%
    4. Markis Mcduffie Jr. 10% ( Have put an asterisk here as he was obviously hurt and the other 3 years was an outstanding defender)
    5. Asbjorn Midtgaard So. and Evan Wessal So. 15%
    6. Jake White So. 18%

This is the percentile rank of points per possession given up by individual players. I only looked at players who participated in 1 percent or more of the defensive possessions. The sample size is small on the 3 current players so i'm sure these numbers will change some as the season progresses. On the other end of the spectrum is Jamie Echenique who leads the team this year by giving up only .65ppp which puts him in the 90th Percentile.
    Last edited by 12eagle; January 27, 2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of that is a little surprising. Brown is put in for his defense by Marshall, Udeze also never plays meaningful stretches, maybe some are right about AM, and SAY IT AIN'T SO....Wessel?

• shocker43
      shocker43 commented
      Editing a comment
      So what you're saying is that its hard to defend D1 level talent when you're a freshman and sophomore. Who knew?!

Also, think of the players Rod Brown has to defend. He usually comes in for either Markis or Dexter, both of which usually guard the 1st or 2nd offensive option on the opposing team.

• 12eagle
      12eagle commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes experience help a great deal and most freshman tend to improve but not many started out this bad. Yes i agree very much with your point on Rod Brown some of this is greatly influenced by who you are guarding.

Wessel was like Burton - a guy without a position. Too bad on offense to be a 3, too slow for a 2, too short for. 4. He did his best and was the ultimate scrapper. Came througj huge against KU which earns him a few more stars.

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      Evan played best at the four. Most fours inn CBB aren’t all that tuff. He just destroyed them with pure tenacity.

So, we've talked about how hard of schedule we have had. As of the 1/26/2019 team sheets, our SOS is 8th in country. Yes EIGHTH. Our SOS number is lower than the total number of D1 newcomers we have.

Comment

• wusphlash
      wusphlash commented
      Editing a comment
      This should not be taken lightly. One of the most inexperienced teams playing a top 10 schedule. Certainly a recipe for performances not seen in Wichita recently.

I know I made a comment earlier in the year saying that McDuffie and Haynes-Jones hold this team back, but after reading Taylor's article and watching the UConn game, I think it is the other way around.

Look what happens when we use McDuffie correctly and he gets hot.

Markis McDuffie: 31 minutes, 147 Off. Rating, 32 points, 6-10 shooting, 6-9 from 3.

That is the game against Providence, which we gave up 80 points yet still won.

Look what happens when we don't.

Markis McDuffie: 32 minutes, 73 Off. Rating, 9 points, 3-8 shooting, 1-6 from 3.

We get beat by 20 against UConn.

We need to hit 3's, that is all it comes down to.

Comment

Go check out ES' dad on FB group Shocker Unfiltered. Making innuendos of team issues. On top of telling all the fans we don't know shite. Personally I think he's doing his son a disservice on social media.

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        Imagine that - a trash-talking white kid from the suburbs has "team issues" with a bunch of inner city kids who have ALL encountered trash-talking white kids from the suburbs.

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't see ES transferring, his sister played ball in the Dakotas so they are used to being far from home/far from the kids. I agree he should stay off Facebook but he's passionate about basketball, just like the rest of us. As for his comments, I think he's frustrated about the ball hogging of this team, we've discussed this to death so no need to reiterate. He thinks the team has enough talent to be good going forward, not something a guy would say if he didn't want to be a part of it.

• rjl
        rjl commented
        Editing a comment
        The way I read it, ES' dad isn't making innuendos about team issues; he's telling the OP who's claiming inside knowledge of team issues that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      Go check out ES' dad on FB group Shocker Unfiltered. Making innuendos of team issues. On top of telling all the fans we don't know shite. Personally I think he's doing his son a disservice on social media.
      Is it just me, or are his comments about "blind loyalty" about Marshall?

Comment

Nobody cares what I think but I freaking hate Facebook.

Comment

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I think his Dad's comments are being hijacked by the Russians... just sayin'.

No parent/family member should be in those groups. It's just asking for trouble.

Comment

• BostonWu
          BostonWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Major red flags. I'm sure GM would be shaking his head knowing a parent is chirping on social media.

• Walker
          Walker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah that whole thing makes me cringe. Just a really bad combination. It's "no filter" but dang...I'd make an exception for stuff like that and not let something grow into a problem that would impact our players, program and school in a negative way.

I like Burton just as much as Stephenson. His skill set is different with his ability to drive being his strength. However both players are physical type players. I’d like both to stay but I’d take at least one staying. Torres seems to have a long way to go to be physical.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          I don't fool with StalkBook/CheatBook/FakeBook either. Can you copy the comments onto here? I'll give my best interpretation - free of charge. Most of the time it's not what someone says, but why or how they said it. I'll need as much context as possible.

P.S. Stevenson comes from the Left coast. That gives him a greater than 50% chance of holding values that Marshall and I detest. We both hail from Economics backgrounds and have clear black and white opinions on human behavior. Marshall could have a poster of Chuckles Koch hanging on his office wall while Mr. Stevenson could have Gaven Newsom. That's a recipe for disaster when 3G attempts to forge Erik into a man. I don't even think it's legal to use the term "man" in the northwestern part of the United States anymore - wayyyy too toxic...

T

...:cool:

Comment

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m pretty sure Erik’s dad would make you look like Bernie Sanders

• Rocky Mountain Shock
            Rocky Mountain Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            I think both Stevenson and Marshall are smarter than the black and white versions you think they are

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            shoxlax
            #100.7
            shoxlax commented
            2 hours ago
            I’m pretty sure Erik’s dad would make you look like Bernie Sanders
            I find your comment exciting! Cheers to the man.

T

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Wessel was like Burton - a guy without a position. Too bad on offense to be a 3, too slow for a 2, too short for. 4. He did his best and was the ultimate scrapper. Came througj huge against KU which earns him a few more stars.
          Wessel was like Burton, except for the turnovers, forced and unforced.

Comment

• The issue with a lot of our players is that their skillset and their size deviate by 1-2 positions. I believe that our best returning players would be sitting in seats 7-10 on a good team. They would be valuable guys on those teams. Unfortunately, they are being asked to do things that they may not be capable of at WSU. Now, I do hope that they develop 1-3 seats during their careers, but asking any of them to sit in seats 1-2 and be capable of leading a team to an Elite 8 seems far-fetched.

While I like bringing in TA, he is also being put in an untenable position. At WV he was one of those important bench players (7th leading scorer). However, he is 6-5 with no outside game at all (12% 3PT). At WV he had the top 2 scorers taking the most 3PA and hitting at 39% and 34%. They had another rotation player hitting at 41%. TA had space to get to the rim and was not really counted on to drive the offense. Unless the new PGs dramatically change things, he will not have that space next year. The only returning 3PT shooters on the team hitting at more than 25% are JE (1/16 43%), DD (12/39 31%) and PB (2/7 28%). He also is not a distributor, with an A/TO ratio comparable to our current team. My impression is that he is just an amalgamation of what we already have (albeit possibly at a higher level).

Comment

• Originally posted by captain View Post
              The issue with a lot of our players is that their skillset and their size deviate by 1-2 positions. I believe that our best returning players would be sitting in seats 7-10 on a good team. They would be valuable guys on those teams. Unfortunately, they are being asked to do things that they may not be capable of at WSU. Now, I do hope that they develop 1-3 seats during their careers, but asking any of them to sit in seats 1-2 and be capable of leading a team to an Elite 8 seems far-fetched..
              When you have 3* Freshmen that is what you get. If Duff had started out in October and played like this year, he may have been the missing link. The remainder of this years team wouldn’t have gotten much time unless they showed tremendous improvement. The competition may have helped a Dexter Dennis improve faster.

Comment

• CB makes many excellent basketball observations but apparently believes himself to be the reincarnation of John Wayne, and I wish he would make his points without insulting half ( more than) the country.....

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 Don't think of me as a real person. It helps.

"half ( more than)"

I caught that!

FML! :*(

T

• What poster name?

Comment

Working...
                X