• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OregonShocker
        #100.6
        OregonShocker commented
        42 minutes ago
        The "potentially inflammatory" part is the part about manhood; either forging or using the term. Probably better off posted in the political forum. Personally, I don't care WHAT my surgeon's politics are; I just want him to do a good job at what I need. Same goes for my (or my son's) basketball coach; teach basketball and leave the "forging" to me.
        • Flag
        • Like0
    Now you've got me intrigued!

Many parents and former players have commented on the change they've seen in their son as he "became a man" in Marshall's program. It was always looked upon in complimentary fashion. I don't know how that would be inflammatory unless you're coming from a tangent that could be wonderfully entertaining but heavily prohibited in this section of the forum (tee hee).

Historically, the common way a "man gets forged" (beyond hormonal changes) is through physical and mental challenge. The trick with Marshall's "trial by fire" method is taking the boy to his breaking point without breaching it. Apply the optimal pressure and you end up with a warrior who has a great edge on the rest of society. But go too far and you'll end up with Jello or worse, poisonous Jello.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      What happened to my thread in RMS's honor? I was just about to finish my thoughts. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? :*(

T

...:cool:

• Rocky Mountain Shock
      Rocky Mountain Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      “Confidently spoken Rocky. You're insight is superior...”

*your*

• ShockingButTrue
      ShockingButTrue commented
      Editing a comment
      "those who go to great lengths to point out others' faults have the most to hide themselves"

*others' faults,* Your demonstration of projection is right on. Too much CNN. You definitely fit.

• MrW5mUX.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      Go check out ES' dad on FB group Shocker Unfiltered. Making innuendos of team issues. On top of telling all the fans we don't know shite. Personally I think he's doing his son a disservice on social media.
      I think you miss-read it. Somebody was making a vague accusation that there are "team issues". When pushed for details they had none. Then somebody piped in and said they thought Stevenson would transfer. This person had no personal insight but just what they feared it seemed. Stevenson popped in and said they didn't know what they are talking about. Then it evolved in whether certain shocker fans had more insight into the inner working of the basketball progra than a player father.

Comment

• martymoose
        martymoose commented
        Editing a comment
        His dad has had some interesting Twitter arguments involving the team....if he's doing it other places too he might be getting a little out of control, it would probably be best for himself, his son and the program that he stops...

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I think you miss-read it. Somebody was making a vague accusation that there are "team issues". When pushed for details they had none. Then somebody piped in and said they thought Stevenson would transfer. This person had no personal insight but just what they feared it seemed. Stevenson popped in and said they didn't know what they are talking about. Then it evolved in whether certain shocker fans had more insight into the inner working of the basketball progra than a player father.
      I base my comments on numerous observations. First time he appeared on Unfiltered he immediately told everyone they don't know jack schidt if they haven't played at the collegiate level. He left the group after a couple days and now months later he reappears. The way he represents himself on social media is not good for anyone involved. I'd be willing to bet GM would agree.

Comment

• SB Shock
        SB Shock commented
        Editing a comment
        Idk, he probably speaks some truth. As far as GM goes, I’m sure he would agree and would take any advice on how to deal with his own family and social media.

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        Haven’t we all known a “know-it-all blow hard parent who tends to go overboard. I had a friend whose father was overbearing to others regarding his self proclaimed expertise. My friend didn’t say much but was none the less embarrassed during his fathers outbursts. And this was before social media was born. I don’t know but this could be the case here.

• His dad seems like a decent guy, but he has a lot of opinions. What he fails to realize is that many of us have been closely following this team through several coaching changes. We are loyal in order to: 1, WSU, 2. the head coach, 3. Players. Also, it’s a little annoying to see a newbie to WSU (Erik’s Dad) to come in and make broad brushed comments that us outsiders have no idea what we are talking about. We may not be coaches, former players, or parents, but I think we’re a fairly observant and educated group, more than he realizes.

Comment

• The thought did occur to me when it happened last month that there may be a coincidence when Chance Moore transferred to the other WSU???

I hope it doesn't happen because I think Erik can definitely be a "player" on this Shocker team and would hate to see him transfer after this year. Seems like a great kid who is just struggling as he's adjusting to GM's style and lack of upperclassmen to learn from.

Anybody know if Erik and Chance were buddies (roommates)???

Go Shocks!!!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I find myself being a bit fearful of how this year's downturn might negatively impact recruiting. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Comment

• martymoose
            martymoose commented
            Editing a comment
            One bad year is going to have little to no effect on recruiting. Available playing time is always a plus to potential recruits.

• MikeKennedyRulZ
            MikeKennedyRulZ commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. This was always going to be an up and down year with mostly downs. Anyone who didn't believe that is kidding themselves. The ship will be righted and all will be good. Recruits aren't going to give a squat. HCGM's track record of NCAA success and grooming kids for the next level speaks for itself and recruits will see that.

Don't worry your pretty little heads, Shocker fans.

• Seems to me that one of the guys (might have been Erik, can't remember) explained his decision by saying something like.....they always win and they always go to the tournament.

Comment

• pinstripers
            pinstripers commented
            Editing a comment
            I have no idea who will or will not leave. Just saying that it will affect some recruits.

• ShockerFever
            ShockerFever commented
            Editing a comment
            No it won't.

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            I doubt, it, pin. Recruiting has gone well for next season already (not to mention Teddy on deck), and it probably isn't finished. If Marshall could recruit to an 11-20 team when he was just a guy from Winthrop who hadn't yet established himself at his new, higher level, he shouldn't have trouble recruiting to this team (whether it's just in the CBI / CIT / whatever, or even comes up short) and he's gone to the Final Four and put several guys ion the NBA.

• People seriously need to step away from the ledge around here.

Comment

• MikeKennedyRulZ
            MikeKennedyRulZ commented
            Editing a comment
            What was the exact quote from Marshall regarding players "wanting" to leave? I for one have enough evidence in the years he's been here to point to the fact that he knows what he's doing, certainly more than you or I.

How does the quote go? "I'm not worried. Are you worried? Sleep well tonight."

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            A lot of cheese is sliding off crackers...

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            I think he left it open saying that a couple hadn’t bought in, a couple hadn’t caught on, and a couple may not belong. Like Trump did Coach mean exactly 6 or maybe he meant 2 Total. I would guess we will have 2 maybe 3 more new players.

• Rick Barnes and Tennessee's Basketball Uprising. A very good read about Rick Barnes and some of the top Volunteers players. Just maybe a very good read for Shocker players.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
            People seriously need to step away from the ledge around here.
            Agreed.

Especially pin.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Right now there are six players slated to return that know how to play Basketball in the American:

Burton, Stevenson, Dennis, Allen, Echinique, and Midtgaard.

Udeze has been injured, so he gets an incomplete grade.

Torres, Brown, and Chandler all have potential, but have lots of work to do in the off season if they want to return.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Shock Top
                Shock Top commented
                Editing a comment
                Those are the three I have on the chopping block as well.

AM has been great on offense, but still a liability on defense. He needs to work on that, if he wants to continue to see his minutes improve.

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Right now there are six players slated to return that know how to play Basketball in the American:

Burton, Stevenson, Dennis, Allen, Echinique, and Midtgaard.

Udeze has been injured, so he gets an incomplete grade.

Torres, Brown, and Chandler all have potential, but have lots of work to do in the off season if they want to return.
              The six you mentioned, plus Gordon and Etienne will be the rotation (Fernandez might not be ready right away for rotation minutes). Torres will never find meaningful minutes here. Brown is a man without a position, too small for the 4 and not skilled enough for the 3. Chandler is very talented, but is in his own world.

Comment

• N Crestway
                N Crestway commented
                Editing a comment
                Chandler in his own world at the moment. Earlier in the season I thought Midtgaard was in his own world but apparently he was not.

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

The six you mentioned, plus Gordon and Etienne will be the rotation (Fernandez might not be ready right away for rotation minutes). Torres will never find meaningful minutes here. Brown is a man without a position, too small for the 4 and not skilled enough for the 3. Chandler is very talented, but is in his own world.
              It would be nice if Udeze had some 4 man skills for next year. That, or a committed IPBC. We are going to be soft at that position without a bigtime addition.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
                This current team not only can't shoot but also possesses some of the worst defender we have seen in a long time. Per synergy here are the worst individual defensive years we have had come through the program since winning the NIT
                1 Rod Brown FR. 2%
                2. Ranu Nurger SR 4%
                3. Morris Udeze 7%
                4. Markis Mcduffie Jr. 10% ( Have put an asterisk here as he was obviously hurt and the other 3 years was an outstanding defender)
                5. Asbjorn Midtgaard So. and Evan Wessal So. 15%
                6. Jake White So. 18%

This is the percentile rank of points per possession given up by individual players. I only looked at players who participated in 1 percent or more of the defensive possessions. The sample size is small on the 3 current players so i'm sure these numbers will change some as the season progresses. On the other end of the spectrum is Jamie Echenique who leads the team this year by giving up only .65ppp which puts him in the 90th Percentile.
                With more playing time this week AM has now moved into 2nd place with a defensive ranking in the 3rd percentile. He is giving up 1.179 points per possession this year when he is the primary defender, this is after giving up 1.22 ppp last season. He really might be the worst defender we have had in the marshall era. In fairness he is in the 64th percentile on offence scoring .932 ppp which is 3rd on the team. Looking at the synergy stats he probably is the 2nd best big man option. Poor Bear is is below the 20th percentile in both offense and defense Udeze is hurt, JE has been very good ranking in the 83d percentile on defence and 64th percentile on offence.

Comment

Working...
                X