No announcement yet.

McDuffie Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look, I know MM has had a pretty good year offensively but he also takes a lot of shots and many
    are forced ones. He is barely averaging one apg which is NOT the sign of a true leader. The problem
    I have with him is that both he and SHJ don't move the ball like they should. Poor ball movement
    generally results in poor team offense and we have TWO guilty players both seniors. Neither player
    sees the court very well and one dribbles way too much trying constantly to create for himself. If
    MM saw the court well he could find the man left open when teams double on him and we would then
    be able to attack with a 4-3 advantage. THIS is exactly what a RB or FVV would do. They had very
    high BBIQ's which is what our two seniors both seem to lack. If MM continually found the open man
    he would be averaging 3-4 apg instead of one, teams would then realize there is a price to pay for
    doubling him and back off giving himself more, not less, opportunities to get good shots and he IS a
    very good shooter.

Comment

• choida
      choida commented
      Editing a comment
      Seasons almost over...I agree with most your points... Let's just finish it out strong and reload this thing again next year. Give these seniors a proper exit. Goshox

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    Look, I know MM has had a pretty good year offensively but he also takes a lot of shots and many
    are forced ones. He is barely averaging one apg which is NOT the sign of a true leader. The problem
    I have with him is that both he and SHJ don't move the ball like they should. Poor ball movement
    generally results in poor team offense and we have TWO guilty players both seniors. Neither player
    sees the court very well and one dribbles way too much trying constantly to create for himself. If
    MM saw the court well he could find the man left open when teams double on him and we would then
    be able to attack with a 4-3 advantage. THIS is exactly what a RB or FVV would do. They had very
    high BBIQ's which is what our two seniors both seem to lack. If MM continually found the open man
    he would be averaging 3-4 apg instead of one, teams would then realize there is a price to pay for
    doubling him and back off giving himself more, not less, opportunities to get good shots and he IS a
    very good shooter.
    Perfectly stated.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      Fake news. Go watch Fred and Ron their senior year. Played worse competition with better more experienced teammates. The ball absolutely stuck to their hands.

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      Very true proshox

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    very good shooter.
    Nobody has compared him to FVV or even Ron Baker (there were leaders together which is an unfair comparison) and they shouldn't be compared to him. They were guards who handled the ball a lot. I don't see McDuffie like you do. He is a player who is a power forward (which is a position that is tough to lead from). He isn't a guard who handles the ball 90% of the time. IMO, he is a great Shocker player who has had an unfair hand dealt him the past two years (He was hurt as a Junior, and then he was one of two Senior returners although really it was only he who had any experience). The two years prior, he was the MVC Freshman (who was one of our best defenders when he didn't have to be THE GUY) of the Year and was the Shocker LEADING scorer and rebounder (in addition to being a very good defensive player who they often put on the opposing teams leading scorer).

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Nobody has compared him to FVV or even Ron Baker (there were leaders together which is an unfair comparison) and they shouldn't be compared to him. They were guards who handled the ball a lot. I don't see McDuffie like you do. He is a player who is a power forward (which is a position that is tough to lead from). He isn't a guard who handles the ball 90% of the time. IMO, he is a great Shocker player who has had an unfair hand dealt him the past two years (He was hurt as a Junior, and then he was one of two Senior returners although really it was only he who had any experience). The two years prior, he was the MVC Freshman (who was one of our best defenders when he didn't have to be THE GUY) of the Year and was the Shocker LEADING scorer and rebounder (in addition to being a very good defensive player who they often put on the opposing teams leading scorer).
      MM has done a number of things well and he is in a situation he has not been in with a team his entire life. He is learning on the fly, as a senior, things he didn't need to know before.

Nevertheless, his assists are the lowest since he was a freshman and about half of what they were as a sophomore. His turnovers are the highest they have ever been. For a player who other teams are targeting to control, he is seeing a lot more coverage than anyone else on the team. While his 3 pt shooting % is at a career high, his 2 pt shooting is at a career low. There is a reason for that and he needs to be aware of his teammates who probably have an easier and better shot.

Comment

• proshox
        proshox commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you followed the shooting percentages of his teammates. Pretty hard to get assists. This stuff is so mind numbingly wrong.

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

MM has done a number of things well and he is in a situation he has not been in with a team his entire life. He is learning on the fly, as a senior, things he didn't need to know before.

Nevertheless, his assists are the lowest since he was a freshman and about half of what they were as a sophomore. His turnovers are the highest they have ever been. For a player who other teams are targeting to control, he is seeing a lot more coverage than anyone else on the team. While his 3 pt shooting % is at a career high, his 2 pt shooting is at a career low. There is a reason for that and he needs to be aware of his teammates who probably have an easier and better shot.
      Exactly.

Comment

Leaders can pass the ball too. They can lead by assisting. And MM has proven in the past that he is a more than capable passer.

But he's not. You and him must think to lead means you must score. Nope. Not even close.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

MM may never be a great passer. But some people have a natural feel for passing. FVV, Ron, Had a great feel for it. Cotton was not as good but he also had a lesser feel for it. Last year, Austin was maybe our best passer. Landry was good, not great, Conner was ok, Shaq was really good for a Forward, Brown wasn’t a good passer and neither was other post (forgot his name) wasn’t very good. It has nothing to do with leadership. Shaq was a pretty good passer but ge sucked as a leader. MM isn’t a great passer and he would be a better player if he could feel things develop before they actually do and then pass the ball for a basket, but you’re equating passing ability to leadership is misguided.

Shiz Alston is a good example of a great isolation offensive player but he isn’t a great passer. That is an NBA type of player. Marshall’s offense is more designed for passing ability but Markis isn’t a good passer.
          Last edited by Shockm; February 18, 2019, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            Must be talking about Willis cause I thought Rashard was a good passer.

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/47551109.jpg

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes Willis. Rashard couldn’t shoot but he was a good passer for a big man and a really good rebounder.

I think highly of Markis. He has been a fine player in this program. Good student, good representative both on and off the court. You call him great. He is not great...sorry...many other posters have already contributed reasons. You seem to link leadership to ball handling in your comments. There is a reason GGG doesn't encourage Markis to handle the ball. He is a below average ball handler in today's college game for his position. The reason some posters like me believe he is not a quality leader is his basketball personality. He just doesn't do the small things a leader does. I heard him on the post-game show recently. He talked of his leadership. About carrying the team. Leaders don't talk about it, they do it. He is our finest offensive player, no doubt. I love watching him shoot in rhythm. When he tries to create on his own, more times than not, he throws up a bad shot. His goal should not to talk about his ability to lead, but to control the only thing he can, which is his own effort. That effort should be moving without the ball, work to get open and shoot in the flow of the offense, look for others and pass when they're open, defend and rebound. If he did that consistently, it would be for the benefit of this team. I hope his fine career lasts as long as possible. When that is over, he will make a lot of money over seas.

Comment

• asiseeit
            asiseeit commented
            Editing a comment
            well said

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I think highly of Markis. He has been a fine player in this program. Good student, good representative both on and off the court. You call him great. He is not great...sorry...many other posters have already contributed reasons. You seem to link leadership to ball handling in your comments. There is a reason GGG doesn't encourage Markis to handle the ball. He is a below average ball handler in today's college game for his position. The reason some posters like me believe he is not a quality leader is his basketball personality. He just doesn't do the small things a leader does. I heard him on the post-game show recently. He talked of his leadership. About carrying the team. Leaders don't talk about it, they do it. He is our finest offensive player, no doubt. I love watching him shoot in rhythm. When he tries to create on his own, more times than not, he throws up a bad shot. His goal should not to talk about his ability to lead, but to control the only thing he can, which is his own effort. That effort should be moving without the ball, work to get open and shoot in the flow of the offense, look for others and pass when they're open, defend and rebound. If he did that consistently, it would be for the benefit of this team. I hope his fine career lasts as long as possible. When that is over, he will make a lot of money over seas.
          You say he’s not a good leader. Our reporter Eldridge writes an article that says he is a good leader. I will say that he is the BEST leader that we have on our team. I wish we had more Upper class men but we don’t. He may not make the NBA and may be a European player. But as I’ve said before I didn’t th8nk Fred would make it and I won’t bet against MM. I want him to make it. I’ll let you bet against him

Comment

Until last game I thought JB was developing into our team leader but he just tried to do too much
            himself instead of seeing the court and distributing. He needs to get himself back under control as
            his previous few games were pretty good. We really don't have an established leader.

Comment

I didn't take the time to read all the lengthy posts, correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to get the assist doesn't the player you pass the ball to have to hit the shot?

Comment

You say he’s not a good leader. Our reporter Eldridge writes an article that says he is a good leader. I will say that he is the BEST leader that we have on our team. I wish we had more Upper class men but we don’t. He may not make the NBA and may be a European player. But as I’ve said before I didn’t th8nk Fred would make it and I won’t bet against MM. I want him to make it. I’ll let you bet against him
                You're weird.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                  I didn't take the time to read all the lengthy posts, correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to get the assist doesn't the player you pass the ball to have to hit the shot?
                  If we passed the ball better, our terrible freshmen shooters would have easier shots, instead of having to chuck junk at the rim in traffic or fire up 20 footers with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You're weird.
                    You’re almost always wrong.

Comment

Well let's just anoint Taylor, who I believe is an excellent writer, the end-all, be-all of leadership recognition. You mean if I write an article and express an opinion about why I think Donald Trump is the greatest President in the history of our country you will buy it (just to keep Kung Wu from spitting up his Scotch on the rocks through his nose, I don't believe the Donald is the GOAT...well maybe he is!)?

I do 100% agree with your comment that Markis is the BEST leader on this team. The other nominees are somewhat underwhelming however. I am a realist. Markis will make millions in Europe. I will root for him regardless of where he ends up. I will buy you a steak dinner and drinks if Markis establishes himself in the NBA. I would love to buy you that steak, however.

Comment

Working...
                      X