First lady of WSU basketball also a foodie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First lady of WSU basketball also a foodie

Here are Lynn Marshall’s favorite restaurants; pre and post-game options...

Wichita, she’s determined, is a pretty good place to eat out.

“I love the food here,” Lynn said during a recent lunch at one of her favorites, Saigon at 1103 N. Broadway. “I think there’s great variety, and I think there are a lot of really talented chefs. I think we hold our own. Maybe you’re not looking at a mountain or an ocean while you’re eating it, but I think our city is well represented.”

“I really do, Gregg,” Lynn added, addressing her husband who was dipping his egg roll in a complicated soy sauce/ Sriracha mixture he had just assembled.

“You don’t have to convince me,” he replied.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Awesome story. Some of those places I have visited. They are good. The newspaper did a story about a year ago on favorite restaurants in Wichita that had closed. High on my list was Lazy R that used to be on Central. The best chilli chesse hamburger I have ever had. Can't seem to find another place that makes a good one. If u guys got any recommendations let me know.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      I miss Lazy R, too -- I like my burgers undercooked (at least by food police standards), and Lazy R would do them just the way i wanted. They even undercooked them more than I wanted a time or two, and that's almost impossible. Wish they were still around.

Also loved the monster burgers at Jack's way down south (Hydraulic?), and the big fresh cooked onion rings at the Dead Cow on Harry and briefly on West 21st. Plus, how can you not like a place that calls itself the Dead Cow?

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
    Awesome story. Some of those places I have visited. They are good. The newspaper did a story about a year ago on favorite restaurants in Wichita that had closed. High on my list was Lazy R that used to be on Central. The best chilli chesse hamburger I have ever had. Can't seem to find another place that makes a good one. If u guys got any recommendations let me know.

Another oldie but goodie was the Hickory House at 1625 E. Central (just west of Hydraulic). I spent my grade school and high school years growing up about 2 blocks south of their. However, with 10 kids in the family we very rarely, if ever, ate out. The bad location eventually did it in. Too many of us poor folks eating at home.

Comment

I loved and miss me some Griff's Hamburgers, Shakey's Pizza and Diamond Head.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Wasn't it Griff's that had a special of 10 burgers for a $1.00 one day each week or something like that. Talk about where's the beef.

• Shocktoberfest
        Shocktoberfest commented
        Editing a comment
        Diamond Head! Wow!!!

• 1979Shocker
        1979Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        How about White Castle?

When I was in town over Christmas, I got a burger at Broadway Burger and BBQ. Total dump of a place in a sketchy part of town but the guy makes some good burgers. Anyone been there?

Comment

• Shock Top
        Shock Top commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. Good stuff.

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
      I loved and miss me some Griff's Hamburgers, Shakey's Pizza and Diamond Head.
      Griffs was better than Mcdonalds. 10 for a buck on Wednesdays was our family's weekly thing. I miss Calvin's Hamburger Heaven that was at Harry and Seneca. Skaets was cattycorner and a pretty good sitdown restaurant. Southside Holla!
      One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post

Griffs was better than Mcdonalds. 10 for a buck on Wednesdays was our family's weekly thing. I miss Calvin's Hamburger Heaven that was at Harry and Seneca. Skaets was cattycorner and a pretty good sitdown restaurant. Southside Holla!
        Yeap I remember Griffs. They were good.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post

Bite your tongue hamburger monkey...I just had a Calvin's buuger 2 weeks ago and they are still fine as always. They used to sponsor a little league baseball team back in the day as well.

Comment

• Shoxthemonkey
            Shoxthemonkey commented
            Editing a comment
            Seriously? I was told that Calvin's was gone. With my son on the east side of town I hardly ever get back to the old neighborhood. I will have to get over there soon.

• Shoxthemonkey
            Shoxthemonkey commented
            Editing a comment
            Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that Mugs-up is still peddling root beer.

Sandy’s - loved their burgers

Next Door - hickory sauce burgers were the best

Kips Big Boy - best strawberry pie in town

Applegate’s Landing - best french onion soup on the planet

Godfathers Pizza (13th & Oliver) - when pizza was good

The Grinder Man (near 17th & Fairmount St.) - great sandwiches

Anyone recall a Chinese take-out a block or two east of Hillside and Harry? I believe it was in a former Griff’s A-frame building; some of the best Chinese food I’ve had.

Angelo’s Italian Restaurant - thought I read where they reopened

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Yeah, my wife and I ate at Angelo's often when we lived there; up on north West street, IIRC. There was also a wierd, psychedelic sandwich shop on... Oliver? Dr. something... sandwich shop?

Comment

Everyone is forgetting Spangles.

Comment

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            Discussing Spangles makes me want to have a ‘mud slide’ and I’m not talking about ice cream...

• OregonShocker
            OregonShocker commented
            Editing a comment
            So, what used to be at the corner of 21st and Hillside? Coney Island? Dog n Shake? Lord, I can't remember...

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't hold me to it, but I think it was a Dog-N-Shake...

https://media.giphy.com/media/WjjXDenYaxQys/giphy.gif

Anyone remember Estalitas that was at Central and Zoo Blvd. She had the biggest and best burritos I've ever had.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• OregonShocker
            OregonShocker commented
            Editing a comment
            "She had the biggest and best burritos I've ever had"
            TMI

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually not TMI. Need photos!

I always get Nuway when I am in town

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think it was a bad batch of meat. More likely bad prep and bad serving. I have to admit I have never been a big Nuway fan anyway. If want a sloppy joe my wife's homemade versions are far better fare. If I want a hamburger I will get a hamburger. Atlhough at my advancing age I might have to reconsider the ground up version at some point.

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            Not a fan of NuWay fries but their burgs are tasty.

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            I never was a big fan of Nuway Chili either; sometimes gave me the #greenapplequicksteps.

Dog N Shake still has good chilli burgers and chilli dogs. There was a Dog N Shake at 21st and Hillside and Central and Woodlawn. It seems like they went on an expansion run in the early to mid 80s and I assume it didn't work.

When I am in Wichita I still visit the Dog N Shake on Central and Hillside and the one Tyler

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            My grandsons like Dog N Shake. Just not one very close by.

Bomber Burger, looks like a dump but good, greasy big burgers. It’s in Oaklawn, Boeing - Spirit lunch hangout

Comment

Working...
          X