No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs UCF Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A nicely done highlight vid from the game.

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Just watched it again on a larger screen. Very well done... they should show it 10 minutes before the Cincy game. Good music, excellent video and a little eye-opener at the 0:37 mark. :)

• Two things happened in this game that needed to happen.

MM and SHJ suddenly had much improved BBIQ.

Perimeter players (primarily Burton and Dennis, the starters) had much better games.

I think those are totally connected. When MeDuffie, SHJ, and especially Burton and Dennis, start having more confidence in DD and JB, then it's easier for McDuffie and SHJ to want to include them in the offense.

When MM and SHJ are comfortable including DD and JB in the offense, it's easier for JB and DD to have more confidence in their games.

Those things all have to happen at the same time, and it's not easy to get all those attitudes and responses on the same wavelength at the same time. It took some time, and there will certainly be setbacks where all those things don't occur.

There's hope for SHJ and MM to pass up a bad shot and have something good happen. Sometimes taking a bad shot can appear to be the best available option. Don't take the bad shot and make the extra pass to get a worse chance to score has to be considered part of the problem early in the season.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• ShockerPrez
      ShockerPrez commented
      Editing a comment
      I think if the bad shots can be limited to late in the shot clock, we all will be content.

At least I will be. Sometimes the bad shots fall.... if they fall with 1 second on the shot clock, they magically turn into great shots.

• I'm not convinced that it is MM and SHJ that need to be comfortable including others in the offense as it is "others" being comfortable being part of the offense. We have seen DD become comfortable at times and Wednesday JB decided to be part of the offense beyond just a couple of driving layups. Erik was 2-2 and looked good taking what came to him. Rod looks awkward to me, but he can get to the line and do damage there. AM found the "perfect storm," playing against a bigger guy not interested in following him outside of four feet from the basket -- that is unlikely to happen again.

The "others" seemed to be in the right places at the right times more often this game than previous games. That, by itself, makes the offense look better and makes for better available shots. I'm hoping that Fall's being glued to the block/charge circle wasn't the entire reason for the resulting better offense; I hope it was maturation of the "others."
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      My opinion that it was some of both. To what degree from each is debatable and hard to say for sure. As they say, it takes two to tango.

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      There was also a big change in M O. The short mid-range game finally appeared in full force. When you're only shooting 3s (and not well), drive all the way to the basket, and pass from the outside to the post, you're much easier to defend. Taking those mid-range shots can also open up passes to the corners and dump offs to open posts.

• Originally posted by Topshock
    Yes AM had a nice game last night. You may have noticed that he only played when TFall was in the game. That is the only time he can play at this point in he career. When the opposition has a big slow center that can't shoot or drive. When the man he is guarding can he can't guard him and he can't protect the rim in a zone. His defensive efficiency rating coming into the game was 18% compared to all NCAA players. That is not serviceable.
    Wait are we talking about sophomore AM, or sophomore Paul Miller?

Originally posted by Topshock
    I watched them both and he is no Paul Miller.
    If by "he is no Paul Miller", you mean AM's freshman season was BETTER than Miller's, you'd be correct. AM beat PM in nearly every statistical category except for total points per game when you compare their freshman seasons.

AM hasn't played enough his sophomore year to make a good comparison, but with what little data we have, there is reason to believe he would have as strong as a sophomore season as PM had as well.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Wait are we talking about sophomore AM, or sophomore Paul Miller?

If by "he is no Paul Miller", you mean AM's freshman season was BETTER than Miller's, you'd be correct. AM beat PM in nearly every statistical category except for total points per game when you compare their freshman seasons.

AM hasn't played enough his sophomore year to make a good comparison, but with what little data we have, there is reason to believe he would have as strong as a sophomore season as PM had as well.
      Here's the problem, and I want AM to succeed as much as possible, but.... We are in a different era of basketball, slow footed centers are not something you can compete with at a high level unless they are truly elite shot blockers and offensively on the block. Modern centers need to be able to guard the PnR, need to be able to quickly rotate to help, and need to be able to defend a face up from 15 feet. I have seen little evidence of AM being able to any of these things, and hey I hope the UCF is a turning point and proves me wrong. Also not only did PM get to play in a different style of basketball, but he also got to do it in the Valley, which while pretty salty in those days, it wasn't known for high level centers, the AAC is definitely a step up.

Comment

• Once again, I would ask Mr. Topshock, how on earth can you declare AM as not " serviceable" based on
        such limited data? If you look at how defensive efficiency is computed it is based on at least 100
        possessions. How many has AM had and provide some concrete evidence to back up your unserviceable
        claim. I would suggest that you personally along with a couple others on here simply don't think he can play
        and are grasping at straws to justify. You might want to look at offensive efficiency, as well ! Now, in the
        end you might be right but, as of right now, you just don't have the supporting evidence. Myself and many
        others would like to see quite a few more possessions before jumping to the conclusion you have.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          A nicely done highlight vid from the game.

The music and production for that video is better than the current video before player intros, IMHO.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
            Shocktoberfest commented
            Editing a comment
            And it's not close.

• proshox
            proshox commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, let this dude do the pregame video since the revision to the pregame vide wasn’t much better than the original. I am sure these are hard to make, but it is easy to tell when a video sucks all emotion from the building.

They need to cut the light show thing as well. Everyone holding their phones makes the place quieter than a library.

• How good could this team be defensively if they realize their potential?

Taylor Eldridge is calling Dexter our best on ball defender since Tekele. To even be mentioned in the same sentence as Tekele is lofty praise. I thought Dexter did a great job moving his feet on defense against UCF. Can he bring that effort every single night? That was one of Tekele’s greatest abilities, among many.

I liked what I saw from Burton too.

I’ve seen more of the Fr, So McDuffie defense lately, back when I thought he was one of our better defenders due to his length, quickness, and tenacity.

Samaje has quietly been a tough on ball defender all year. He held Shizz Alston in check the first half while we were in man to man.

Echinique is is an eraser when he can stay on the court.

I’m almost scared to say this but I think Big Midt moves better than some give him credit for and is *maybe* catching up mentally to the speed of the game.

Rod Brown has the size and athleticism to be disruptive and his arrow seems to be pointing up.

I think the pieces are there for us to be a nasty defense down the stretch. Will it all come together?

Comment

• You will never see a guy try harder at playing in your face defense than after SHJ failed on the "splitting the Tacko" play. I think he knew his goose was cooked. Pretty funny!

Comment

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              Burton bailed him out throwing a ball backcourt.

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              Was thinking at the time; that’s not a “Juco” move, but Globetrotteresque...

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
            You will never see a guy try harder at playing in your face defense than after SHJ failed on the "splitting the Tacko" play. I think he knew his goose was cooked. Pretty funny!
            I thought exactly the same thing!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

The music and production for that video is better than the current video before player intros, IMHO.
              Wasn't the pre-lineup hype video Wednesday night a new one? It is certainly better than the one they started the season with.

Comment

• I'm keeping my Chance Moore ticket stub as a momento....

Comment

• shocktown
                shocktown commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m right there with you. It’s my lucky charm until it isn’t

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Wasn't the pre-lineup hype video Wednesday night a new one? It is certainly better than the one they started the season with.
              I didn't make Wed night in person due to a bad back, so if so, sweet! I will get to see it tomorrow!
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Totally agree. The introduction video before the game is the worst I have seen. Not even close to what we have had in the past. Hope they get it right next year.

Comment

• The new one is still bad. Just not on the scale of bad that defined the first one.

Hey, on a totally different note...where is Pogo? I miss him.

Comment

Working...
                  X