No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs UCF Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was especially happy for the way Burton played. I’ve been really critical of him this year with his ball handling, decision making, slow movement of the offense, bad shooting, etc. Last night he proved that there is a real point guard in that big body. This is a huge revelation because it’s our biggest concern going into next season. If we can lean on Jamarius to be the mentor PG to the new guys, it might give us an opportunity to redshirt the ultra thin Fernandez. I hope he continues to grow in this role from here, it was awesome to see.

Comment

• I noticed our passes were a lot crisper and we made decisions a lot quicker last night. The past few games, we've either had lazy passes or waited too long to pass the ball which told the defender what we were going to do. Last night, JB passed the ball about 10 feet away from either SHJ or DD, and he threw it so hard I couldn't help but notice a difference. Passes were made almost before the player was open last night. Still some hiccups, but a whole lot better overall.
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Can anybody post a clip of AM's assist?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          I was especially happy for the way Burton played. I’ve been really critical of him this year with his ball handling, decision making, slow movement of the offense, bad shooting, etc. Last night he proved that there is a real point guard in that big body. This is a huge revelation because it’s our biggest concern going into next season. If we can lean on Jamarius to be the mentor PG to the new guys, it might give us an opportunity to redshirt the ultra thin Fernandez. I hope he continues to grow in this role from here, it was awesome to see.
          I would take it one step further to say that Burton was THE critical piece of the puzzle last night. When we have a PG that can play in control, take care of the ball, make good decisions, and set others up for success; we are going to be damn good. SHJ and MM need a solid PG behind them in the worst way possible. Burton was that guy last night.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I haven't watched the replay yet but had questions on 3 plays I couldn't see clearly from my seat.

1) Dexter being called for a charge in the first half rather than an and 1?
            2) UCF player getting a NBA continuation call in the second half for an and 1?
            3) Asbjorn's backdoor pass to Samajae which was too low. From our angle it looked like SHJ could have still gotten his hand on the ball and kept it from going out of bounds?
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              1. It was a charge
              2. That was a bad call. Markis fouled him on the pass, not the shot.
              3. No, it was a bad pass. Too far in front of SHJ.

• Best game of their Shocker career...……..McDuffie, AM, and Burton. And that's pretty much what it took.

Comment

• We had to have a big percentage of our team play a B+ to A type game and we did. Mitguard coming off the bench first half hitting 3 shots on short jumpers and grabbing rebounds was huge. His backdoor pass for a layup was great to see. He’s a project who through practice and remaining positive is starting to pay off for him and the team. Markis and SHJ who have had issues were the players who got us over the hump offensively late in the game, great to see. They played more in control and relied on their teammates when appropriate. Hitting our free throws while limiting turnovers was huge

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                I haven't watched the replay yet but had questions on 3 plays I couldn't see clearly from my seat.

1) Dexter being called for a charge in the first half rather than an and 1?
                2) UCF player getting a NBA continuation call in the second half for an and 1?
                3) Asbjorn's backdoor pass to Samajae which was too low. From our angle it looked like SHJ could have still gotten his hand on the ball and kept it from going out of bounds?
                1 - close but the right call. I thought the UCF guy's foot was in the restricted circle...but on replay it looked like he was just outside of it.
                2 - yes total and complete rip off. Might have even been ruled on the floor in the NBA
                3 - SHJ pointed at himself and said something to the effect of "my bad"

What about the big man (tako i think) who took like 5 steps in our lane? Ref said he had no possession. idk about that.......close.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hate to say it, ugly, but not a travel at all on Tacko. Refs were really good last night in a tough game. Honestly, I miss many of the faces we've become accustomed to seeing, most notably Higgy, but I think the officiating is solid in this league, for the most part. Would like ShockRef opinion here.
                  Last edited by WuDrWu; January 17, 2019, 12:04 PM.

• SHJ played really well.

He's very quick and seems like he could abuse defenders with drives to the hoop or into the mid range area almost anytime he wants.

I wish he would quit shooting ISO 3's with a bunch of clock left and do more penetration.

Comment

• B1ShockFan
                  B1ShockFan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SHJ biggest problem is his decision making, yes he is quick but tends to drive into the trees and try to throw up a circus act shot which turns out to what should be described as a turn over. He still needs to grow out of the juco mode.

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There were a few times he had an open three, but rather than taking it, he took a dribble, moved over a couple feet and then took a contested three. Sometimes he makes the simple way too complicated.

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Thought the crowd was good, not great. Not SIU 2004. Not FSU. Not UNI or Iowa. Good, not great.
                I might compare this to 2005 Houston NIT, 2007 UAB (Gregg's first year when snow storm hit), or 2011 Nebraska NIT. No, those crowds weren't epic, especially since the place wasn't full...but the fans who did come brought it strong.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Gregg however was freaking lit. Like off the hook, mega lit. Everything was working. The praying to the officials, on the court hiking up the slacks to the knees in defensive stance, imploring the crowd, wrist jingle, 2 hands on the headache, staredowns, fast walk, Tacojuggle, the entire repertoire was showcased and on point tonight and it was specfreakingtacular. Oh, and check out the post game lockerroom dance. LIT
                Has there ever been a coach at 21st and Hillside who was so entertaining to watch roam the sideline? I think my wife enjoys going to games in large part to watch Gregg. He was certainly in rare form last night...in a good way. The Taco Juggle was FANTASTIC! That said, nothing will EVER top his sarcastic staredown of RugBoy in Omaha.

78-65

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent game crowd comparisons.

And no, there hasn't been. I'd wager regardless of the address as well. The entertainment value is large.

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
                  I don't think it's much coincidence AM gets meaningful minutes and a W. Plays serviceable D, and sets great screens.
                  Yes AM had a nice game last night. You may have noticed that he only played when TFall was in the game. That is the only time he can play at this point in he career. When the opposition has a big slow center that can't shoot or drive. When the man he is guarding can he can't guard him and he can't protect the rim in a zone. His defensive efficiency rating coming into the game was 18% compared to all NCAA players. That is not serviceable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Yes AM had a nice game last night. You may have noticed that he only played when TFall was in the game. That is the only time he can play at this point in he career. When the opposition has a big slow center that can't shoot or drive. When the man he is guarding can he can't guard him and he can't protect the rim in a zone. His defensive efficiency rating coming into the game was 18% compared to all NCAA players. That is not serviceable.
                    Bingo.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Second half rebounds, Shox 20, UCF 5. Five! That kind of effort will generally reap big rewards.
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• ShockerPrez
                        ShockerPrez commented
                        Editing a comment
                        With WSUs lack of offensive prowess, rebounding on the defensive end will be of utmost importance in limiting possessions and 2nd chances. Big reason for our win.

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

1 - close but the right call. I thought the UCF guy's foot was in the restricted circle...but on replay it looked like he was just outside of it.
                      2 - yes total and complete rip off. Might have even been ruled on the floor in the NBA
                      3 - SHJ pointed at himself and said something to the effect of "my bad"

What about the big man (tako i think) who took like 5 steps in our lane? Ref said he had no possession. idk about that.......close.
                      I've become tired with fans who blame everything on the officiating, but last night seemed especially bad.

The CBS Sports announcers, who normally NEVER question an officiating call (even during a replay that clearly shows they are wrong), had several comments about bad calls last night, and even some comments about illegal screens that weren't called.

Just glad to get a W and put ourselves in a position where it didn't come down to a whistle.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                      X