No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs UCF Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't really belong here but John Hetzendorf (Track coach) made SCTop10 a bit ago with what looked like a 100 foot throw swish shot at the Heskett Center.

Comment

• WuShock16
      WuShock16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not just a long shot but over a court divider net and through some cables...

• I'm with Fev, so how about an encore versus the bearcats and bears and cats oh my. They are only 15-3 and 4-1 but we owe them for the win they stole here last Season which still is not appreciated. We will have to play at least this good again but we are due for a nice visit by the basketball gods here at 21st and Hillside in search of 2 very tough wins in a row.

Back to tonight, it has been well chronicled on SN about DD's tough as nails rebounding and he led our squad with 9 again tonight and often gets Huge and Needed rebounds. As DD matures, he will be the Double Double man and we can call him DD-DD. We were 17-18 on throws so please don't tweet, text, or even think about calling Gregg to make sure the Shocks are working on throws.
    Need get the sand-man over here but I'm (as well as ya'll) am still wound up tighter than a base drum!!!!!!!!

Notice I ended the last sentence with 8 exclamation points? Our beloved Shocks are now 8-8 and kept the Knights from shining their armor with 8 wins in a row. The Shocks had an answer for every run this very good offensive run and defensive stop UCF team had to throw our way. The Shocks only had 11 turnovers tonight and I'm wishing and hoping for less than 10 versus them mean and lean Bearcats. GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!. Stay tuned because just for good fortune, I just put 9 exclamation points because the Shocks will give it their all in search of win #9!!!!!!!!! Now for the trifecta-!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by forevershockerfan; January 17, 2019, 12:59 AM.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
      3G with some moves

How many wins did we celebrate like that last year? Tremendous for the guys...and me. No rest though with Cincinnati coming up. Another tough out.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Of note... UCF still has never beaten WSU and unless we line up with them in the tourney that streak will continue into next year.

Comment

• Boom freaking BOOM!!!!!
          We got that monkey off our back tonight!!! So happy for the players and coaches!!! Well played...well deserved!!!!!!!!

GO SHOCKS!!!!!!!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• forevershockerfan
            forevershockerfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Late night on SN like the old days many many moons ago when AZ Shocker (A different handle you had but can't quite remember it with my lil pea brain} and I were rapping Shocker hoops here at 2-a.m. on a work night. Speaking of AM, what a banner game he had tonight. He is our best encourager of our squad when not playing and gave 1000% tonight with execution as well. I like it. I like it a lot. Groovy-gravy.
            Last edited by forevershockerfan; January 17, 2019, 01:22 AM.

• DD reminded me of a young B. Williams out there tonight (sorta). I'm starting to detect a little "swagger" from the kid.

Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 17, 2019, 04:34 AM.

Comment

• Several takeaways from the game...not a regular AT the CKA(about 5 a year) but loved the night from the top of the rafters.....:
            -crowd was VERY good, even though I'm pretty 3G would not concur early...trying to whip crowd into a frenzy...never remember seeing that from him...
            - If you are bored with the game , watch Kellen...manic sideshow...
            -think Ricky is pretty much toast...and I noticed at halftime shooting, he has an odd right foot forward stance...maybe hurts his accuracy....
            - love the fact that we SEEM to be growing a 4 headed post presence...and all are back...
            -SH-J played money AND smart...pullups instead of always to the rim...

GREAT NIGHT.....this year will still have many/several bumps but going forward....mmmmm

Comment

• bighouse
              bighouse commented
              Editing a comment
              On RT, every juco PG we have brought in has started slow. Not ready to stick a fork in him just yet, he could be valuable later this season and more so next. Stats say he can shoot, maybe he is just saving them all for march?

• I mention 8-9 games ago that RT just doesn't square up well. If JB sustains his level of play from last night
            he will be impossible to displace. As for Taco Fall I disagree with those that don't think he is a good
            center. I've watched him in numerous games and he is a tremendous asset. JE and MM did a great job
            defending him but even in an off night he just creates problems for teams around the basket and he did so
            to some extent last night. Last night was a hoot but 3G has a major challenge now getting our guys
            ready to play with that kind of intensity again Saturday. If ever there was a "team" win last night was it.

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              Watch Ricky’s JUCO highlights. He’s always had that “right for in front” style of shooting. It’s unusual but has worked in the past.

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            I mention 8-9 games ago that RT just doesn't square up well. If JB sustains his level of play from last night
            he will be impossible to displace. As for Taco Fall I disagree with those that don't think he is a good
            center. I've watched him in numerous games and he is a tremendous asset. JE and MM did a great job
            defending him but even in an off night he just creates problems for teams around the basket and he did so
            to some extent last night. Last night was a hoot but 3G has a major challenge now getting our guys
            ready to play with that kind of intensity again Saturday. If ever there was a "team" win last night was it.
            Totally agree with the team win part...
            Several times, noticed three frosh on floor at same time...healthy action for most part...

Comment

• So bummed I had to miss seeing the game in person. I've been having some back spasm issues recently, thought I was over it, then it seizes up literally as I'm getting out of the car in the parking lot to come in. I tried a few steps, but I quickly knew I would have not made it up the stairs to my seat. So I headed home and enjoyed the game on TV. I knew UCF was not likely to lay down another 25 spot in the second half, and I'm so happy to see us finally shoot well enough and play with enough poise to weather the storm of an opponent's comeback attempt. Crowd did sound good on TV! Now to heal up so I can be there in person for the continuation on Saturday!
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• insaneykaney
                insaneykaney commented
                Editing a comment
                Hope you get better very soon!

• Also noticed way more high-fiving, an uptick in guys helping each other off the floor. Team chemistry was a lot better tonight. Something changed.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                I noticed that as well, not sure if it was the chicken or egg thing (did the good play and results mean a better attitude or the other way around?) but not just that, several different personalities I thought. JB was pure confidence. I don't what to say about Midtgaard.....DD was quietly outstanding but the effort was pegged. Someone else said it, but within themselves but at the same time locked in. Didn't miss many tricks last night, something these guys will have to do consistently if they want to keep winning in this league. Gregg too for that matter. He was locked in last night and very upbeat on the radio afterwards. Said more than once "we'll see a lot of good, big, talented teams, but none more so that UCF. Nobody much better than these guys."

Was anyone else thinking Midtgaard/Marshall = Strap Purl/Norman Dale? Well, keep His strength in the dribble.

• Maybe hard to pinpoint plays of the night, but I had three MOMENTS...
              1. Markis rebounding his own missed dunk...on the floor
              2.Markis(I THINK) liftingAsjborn off the ground late
              3. Asjborn's great block at the end

Many other fun moments and Fevers's point about the interaction is spot on

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Dexter’s rebound and put back toward the end was huge.
                Burton shooting that three without hesitation was really nice to see.

• Probably the fewest number of head scratching plays we seen since last season. There were still some but not as many and most importantly, not in crunch time.

Jamarius is getting a lot stronger with the ball. The 3 pointer was a bonus. I think the meat and potatoes of his offense will be drives to the basket and pull up jumpers.

Did the seniors hit any big shots in the second half?

I still think Dexter needs to be more aggressive offensively. Kid certainly has a go get it attitude on the boards.

Regarding AM. My argument all along was that, for whatever reason, he was treated more harshly for mistakes than others and was basically relegated to the end of the bench for games 3 thru 14 instead of being allowed to play through them and learn. My opinion hasn't changed. As he said in the post game, "you can't truly simulate game minutes in practice". He's been given significant minutes these past two games and played solidly. He needs to take advantage of this opportunity. He's going to make mistakes, no doubt. I just hope by the end of season more are buying AM stock than are selling.

Great win guys, now build on it

Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                As for Taco Fall I disagree with those that don't think he is a good
                center. I've watched him in numerous games and he is a tremendous asset.
                He is what he is. A defensive game changer and a guy you must defend on the offensive end. True, most of his value is indirect (his presence in the paint allows the rest of the defense to extend and play passing lanes, he gets Dawkins & others open jumpers and 3s because he has to be doubled with the ball) but it's still great value.

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                Last night was a hoot but 3G has a major challenge now getting our guys ready to play with that kind of intensity again Saturday.
                Spot on. Major challenge. They did it once, now can they repeat?

One of my first thoughts as I walked out of CKA last night, watching so many fans smile and enjoy the moment, was to remember Gregg's words that he's repeated so many times this season....there are going to be a lot of ups and downs. Don't get too high, don't get too low.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Doesn't really belong here but John Hetzendorf (Track coach) made SCTop10 a bit ago with what looked like a 100 foot throw swish shot at the Heskett Center.
                  John is the throws coach . Maybe he worked with the Shocks BB team on their throws.

Although one area the Shocks were not great at was 3 point shooting. Who would of thought we beat UCF when only hitting 4 of 15 from 3.

We don't unless everything else is clicking
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 17, 2019, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X