Trends in Shocker Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trends in Shocker Recruiting

Yikes! Our team average is 2.44 stars. I think it was higher than that when we were in the Valley. The only teams we are ahead of in the AAC are Tulsa and ECU.

We are regressing...

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

We got a lot of 3 stars and 4 stars.

Wtf is your point Mary?
    I don't think we have any 4*'s currently playing on this team. McDuffie is borderline 4 right?

I think at this point Marshall should have at least 2, if not 3, 4-star players on his active roster at all times. It's embarrassing that we don't. Higher rated players are better offensively. You can teach a toad to play defense but you can't teach just anybody how to score.

T

Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; January 8, 2019, 10:13 PM. Reason: *Moved from a different thread*

Comment

• FadedCrown
      FadedCrown commented
      Editing a comment
      McDuffie was a 4 on ESPN, a 3 on 247Rivals and Scout.

Wow, Cold, you really took Coach Wootens words to heart, huh?

Comment

I would call Jaime a legit 4-star big man, but Marshall himself said that he was surprised at JE's effectiveness. Maybe HCGM is downplaying the issue. I gotta believe DnD has huge upside but he came to us very raw. He needs dribbling skills.

Out of the 3 Shockers currently in the NBA, 2 were 4-stars out of HS.

T

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Wasn't FVV a 3-star at the time he committed?

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      I would call Jaime a legit 4-star big man,:
      He wasn't.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        No, he wasn't for sure but >>>I<<< would call him a 4-star big man. He may end up putting Ron to shame in the diamond-in-the-rough sweepstakes. Not too many 6'11 guys can do what he can only a couple games into their D1 career. I'd say he is legit top 40 caliber. Marshall put his ceiling at the Association if he keeps up the performance.

T

Based on those averages, UConn and Temple are really underachieving.

Comment

They have Tyson Etienne as 2 Star when 247 has him as a 4 Star.

Edit: Looks like they are only using June 15th ESPN rankings.
        Last edited by FadedCrown; January 9, 2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Also, who was the leader of our 6 senior core last year? A 4 Star guard recruited in 2016. Our core was recruited in 2013 and 2014. You get the depth first, then stars second. Same seems to be happening with Tyson.

Comment

Stars are bs. I remember 2 star Zach Brown and Tekele Cotton posterizing 4/5 star Kelly Oubre multiple times when they played.

Comment

I don't like how VC does their rankings. Guys could be 4 stars on every other major recruiting website and still only be a 2 or 3 star for VC. They also have a lot of guys unranked who are otherwise top 250-200 recruits.

Comment

• FadedCrown
                FadedCrown commented
                Editing a comment
                They don't have 247Rivals or Scouts ranking on their Composite.

• ripemupshocks
                ripemupshocks commented
                Editing a comment
                Verbal Commits doesn't rank players. They only give a composite of the player rankings from Scout, Rivals and ESPN.

I don't care what their ranking is, I just want to stop signing guys that aren't well rounded players. Was it a surprise that Chance couldn't play defense? Is it a surprise that Mitgaard is slow? Is it a surprise that Burton can't shoot? These guys could compete in the Valley but we need guys that are AAC ready on both sides of the court.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting factoid (or not), Burton has the highest non-post player FG% on the team. Yes, at least so far, he can't shoot the 3, but would seem to apply to ES and RT at this point also. Take ES's 8-14 from 3 in 2 games out and he's .172 on 58 shots from 3.

• ShockerFever
                ShockerFever commented
                Editing a comment
                In regards to Burton's shooting, what was Cotton's shooting numbers as a freshman? Anybody recall?

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Cotton shot 35% from 3 and 51% overall as a freshman. Averaged 10 min a game but only averaged 3 pts a game, he rarely shot the ball his first year.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I don't care what their ranking is, I just want to stop signing guys that aren't well rounded players. Was it a surprise that Chance couldn't play defense? Is it a surprise that Mitgaard is slow? Is it a surprise that Burton can't shoot? These guys could compete in the Valley but we need guys that are AAC ready on both sides of the court.
              Maybe .. sometimes it IS a surprise. To me ... it's a surprise that Torres can't shoot. His numbers in JUCO were good.

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                agree, he is baffling

• ShockingButTrue
                ShockingButTrue commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks a little tight on the court sometimes. GGG's in his head.

nm-duplicate post
              Last edited by captain; January 10, 2019, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Burton looked pretty good the first few games of the season. Not sure what's happened with him.

The mantra is that defense can be taught a lot easier than offense. Chance may have portrayed himself as an eager learner, but when it came down to it, he wanted immediate minutes in exchange for his willingness to be taught, and it just doesn't work that way.

Midtgaard is a 7' dude. Just by simple statistics, there are very few 7' tall people in the world, and only a small percentage of those guys are quick. The 7' tall dudes who are quick sign with the Dukes, Kentuckys, and North Carolinas of the world, and the rest are "projects" that may work out, or may not with other schools. In our school's history, I don't recall a freshman center who was good right out of the gate. Shaq, Stutz, Durley, PMill, etc. all took a few years before they were reliable parts of the team. Midtgaard just isn't working out, but it was a shot a school like WSU has to take on the off chance he did work out.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK. This is going to look like I'm a relative of JB, but what has he done so wrong lately. He has his pluses and minuses and ups and downs like many other first year players on this team. I think the bar was set higher by most posters for DD, ES, CM, and RT. Yet, while having to learn the 1 and 3 positions, he's managed to hit 10-18 FG over the last 4 games, 28 rebounds over the last 5, keep his assists to TOs on the plus side 32/23 for the season, play descent defense, and have the highest non-post man FG % on the team for the season.

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The first half against Temple would have been brutal without Burton. HCGM already explained why he was stripped from behind during the second half and why he doesn’t usually yell “wolf” during games.

Burton is a good player and will be a really good player once he develops a shot. I think the team was more successful overall when he got more minutes.

What was Lomax rated? If you put him on this years team, what does it do to our average?
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• rjl
                  rjl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A borderline 3/4 star, depending on the service.
              Working...
              X