• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    TheShocktocles
    #377.2
    TheShocktocles commented
    25 minutes ago

We're just young and poorly conditioned. Stop being so entitled. Marshall is allowed throwaway years.

T

...:cool:
    If your bigs block out well, your guards can pick up easy rebounds. FVV was the master at it. Wasnt uncommon to see him with 5,6,or 7 rebounds. He even got 10 as part of a Triple Double against Southwest Missouri State.

Comment

• Tickets cost the same or more. Popcorn costs the same or more. Wichita is still as far away as before. Marshall still getting paid the same. The product we pay to see ain't the same. Expect discontent.

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        Cincinnati or Indiana State? Memphis or Bradley? Houston or Drake? Temple or Evansville?

I think the product we see is substantially improved. This year, we're not. Would you rather see 30-point blowouts against inferior competition that absolutely no one on the national stage recognizes? Or would you rather see nationally prominent teams in action in CKA and competitive games even if we don't automatically win all of them?

• another shocker
        another shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        funny you should mention temple... oh, man...

• Funny how no one calls out Marshall. Blaming MM or SHJ or all new freshman..you guys are so blinded by history that you can't see what is front of you. He is being out coached doesn't know how to coach from behind doesn't know how to coach in this conference. Doesn't see what guys are doing and not doing.

he is panicking you can see it in his face . Keep watching.

it is comical how you guys turn on players and not Marshal. He is captain of the ship it is his to own. No one else.

Comment

• Dice260
        Dice260 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Coach Marshall has earned the benefit of the doubt. We dominated the Valley, beat Arizona, Kansas, Indiana, Ohio State, Gonzaga, etc., etc. in the NCAA tournament, and have put multiple players in the NBA. How many coaches prior to Marshall have done that at Wichita St.? This is a young team that is struggling with some confidence issues. They will find the way, and they will be fine... no matter what the fans believe.

• shoxlax
        shoxlax commented
        Editing a comment
        Marshall gets criticized plenty on this board. Giving seniors long leashes is the first thing most complain about.

Don’t confuse panic with frustration. The rest of your complaints are so easy to punch holes in it isn’t worth the time.

• Originally posted by lmor1971 View Post
      Funny how no one calls out Marshall. Blaming MM or SHJ or all new freshman..you guys are so blinded by history that you can't see what is front of you. He is being out coached doesn't know how to coach from behind doesn't know how to coach in this conference. Doesn't see what guys are doing and not doing.

it is comical how you guys turn on players and not Marshal. He is captain of the ship it is his to own. No one else.
      Just come out and say it. FIRE HIM and we will turn it around. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Comment

• lmor1971
        lmor1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not saying fire him. Just saying put the problem where it belongs. He is responsible for recruiting and for the results of that recruiting.

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Just come out and say it. FIRE HIM and we will turn it around. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa
      We’ve taken that route before, and I hate to admit that I advocated for it. Boy, would I take Gene Stephenson over the train wreck we have on the payroll now.
      Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

Funny how no one calls out Marshall. Blaming MM or SHJ or all new freshman..you guys are so blinded by history that you can't see what is front of you. He is being out coached doesn't know how to coach from behind doesn't know how to coach in this conference. Doesn't see what guys are doing and not doing.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you on experience

Comment

• I have not read the whole game thread, but I will throw my two cents into the mix anyway.

We are not playing smart basketball. You do not play to your opponents strengths. You play to your strengths, mask your weaknesses and try to keep your opponent from doing what they want to do.

Our best teams were built around defense. When someone went to the basket, we had one or 2 defenders on the shooter. Let the shooter know there will be contact if they get close to the basket. If we had an off night shooting, we just played defense that much harder. We had players that would never give up when the ball hit the floor. There were only a handful of games I thought a team out hustled us.

We are a very young team and it will take time to gel, but the one thing that can save us is to get back to the defense we used to play....
          Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

You're right of course, Markis is the last vestige of the great group of players Marshall brought in. Regrettably, injuries derailed his development or he could've been better. Marshall gets the credit for bringing in studs like FVV, Baker, Cle, and Cotton to name just a few but he also needs to shoulder the brunt of the blame for bringing in players that never panned out too. His recruiting of big men has always been a struggle and the Dane is just another one of bad big men recruits. HCGM has been a victim of his own success as well. Positive turnover such as Jans, Haier and Forbes were big losses for the program as they helped in our recruiting and game planning. The musical chairs of recent assistant coaches certainly hasn't helped matters.

This year sucks, but if a program like UCONN, that has won multiple national championships and has a far greater pedigree than we do suffer from back-to-back sub .500 seasons, then I don't feel so bad having a winning record thus far in the season with so many inexperienced players. We knew this year was going to be tough, but I'll start worrying if we start having back-to-back sub .500 seasons.

Comment

• Taylor Eldridge@tayloreldridge 2h2 hours ago More
              • Copy link to Tweet
              • Embed Tweet

In that final 9-minute flurry by Memphis to end the 1st half last night, WSU's defense failed to get a stop 14 straight times down the floor. By far the worst stretch from WSU this season. Previously gave up 8 straight scores to Providence, 7 to OU, and 6 three other times.

Comment

• Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                I have not read the whole game thread, but I will throw my two cents into the mix anyway.

We are not playing smart basketball. You do not play to your opponents strengths. You play to your strengths, mask your weaknesses and try to keep your opponent from doing what they want to do.

Our best teams were built around defense. When someone went to the basket, we had one or 2 defenders on the shooter. Let the shooter know there will be contact if they get close to the basket. If we had an off night shooting, we just played defense that much harder. We had players that would never give up when the ball hit the floor. There were only a handful of games I thought a team out hustled us.

We are a very young team and it will take time to gel, but the one thing that can save us is to get back to the defense we used to play....
                We had no problem last night letting them know that they would get contact if they went to the hole. The problem is the refs noticed and gave them a parade of free throws.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Tickets cost the same or more. Popcorn costs the same or more. Wichita is still as far away as before. Marshall still getting paid the same. The product we pay to see ain't the same. Expect discontent.
                  Are you serious?

The ticket and concession costs are close to gauging levels and are the product of an awfully-ran athletic department. That has nothing to do with the product on the court this year though. You're not bright to compare the two.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

You're exactly right that Marshall shares some responsibility in dictating player minutes, running a competent offense, etc. It wasn't Marshall's fault that Shamet left, Reaves left, Lomax retracted, Teddy got denied, etc. People keep forgetting that run of events and it pisses me the **** off. Marshall didn't control that.

MM and SHJ are not capable seniors and should not be given the responsibility they receive. That is definitely Marshall's fault.

Turn on players? Nobody's turning on anybody. These players are what they are. MM plays like a freshman, even though he thinks he's big-time. SHJ is nothing but JUCO. And the freshmen are what they are.. freshmen.

Seems like you're the one doing the turning... on Marshall.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• It amazes me how people just forget all the off season drama that happened, that was totally out of HCGM’s control, this season would’ve been tough even if all that bullsh*t hadn’t gone down, Alex Lomax de-commiting when the off season was damn near over and the probability of finding a decent point guard replacement was low, was a huge blow, Austin Reeves leaving out of no where was an even bigger blow, and even after that people on here still laughed when we were predicted to go 8th in the conference, real college basketball fans knew though that this would probably be the most difficult season in Marshall’s tenure. It’s a rebuild year, I’m not holding the outcome of this season against Marshall at all, he’s done too damn much for this program, he’s proven himself already
                      Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• I agree with Fever in regards to the AD leadership. Mickey Mouse Department.
                        Gregg was dealt a tough hand for this season. Not sure 100% of his recruits are destined to be D1 players. Still think he needs to hand over the reins to the newbies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                          think he needs to hand over the reins to the newbies.
                          Gregg obviously believes that his best chance of winning is to do it with Seniors getting minutes and plays. When he gives up on winning, he may do that but the results won't be different. We imo defeat Memphis if we play in Koch so still can have some wins (maybe 7-9 in conference) if we stay the course.

Eric has ability but his shooting confidence has left and he hasn't made a jump shot (that I can remember) for a while, which is not that uncommon for a Freshman, but he will be a good shooter imo. Jamie, Dexter, and Poor Bear have has some very nice moments and if they continue to improve, will be very nice players. J.B. not an offensive player and probably that role won't be him for most of his career.

We do need to improve on defense but the bottom line is that the "grind" of play is just coming to these young players and most don't do as well in February as they do earlier in the year. We can win at home but we won't be a Top 7-8, mainly because we have so many young players and our Seniors and Juco players aren't good enough to lean on. Team. Hopefully, we win enough home games, and maybe a couple of others. Freshmen don't win Away games or play for league Championships.

Comment

Working...
                          X