Wichita State at Memphis Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Seems like decision-making is a big problem, and out two Seniors are the worst at this.
    Lol. You hit that one out of the park. Some kid has got that ball and running home.

Comment

• I just hope the Memphis's and the likes enjoy this season while they can. I, personally have seen this movie before and it ends with Marshall clowning the league shortly and taking back his pound of flesh.....

Now, the AAC is no valley, but....

just sayin. Dont get used to this ****. Marshall holds grudges.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Use this loss to get the boys hair on fire for our AAC home opener. Temple is good but a not word for word quote from Triple G in 2014. "We know that if we play good, we can beat anyone."

"Play Angry, let's go."

Comment

• Here’s another fun fact: Brewton, Davenport, Martin, Parks and Thornton were all holdovers from Tubby’s tenure. That’s a pretty solid group Penny was left with.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            Here’s another fun fact: Brewton, Davenport, Martin, Parks and Thornton were all holdovers from Tubby’s tenure. That’s a pretty solid group Penny was left with.
            Yup .. Many of the Memphis fans were trying to tout that Penny with a bunch of "freshman and jucos" beat Marshall. They failed to realize that 6 of the 9 people that played last night have at least 1 year D1 experience including 5 Seniors. We had 2 of 9 with D1 game experience (not counting AM 1 minute as a 10th player yesterday)

Comment

• One more thing and I will shut up for awhile:

Dont put jacksheet into what a player shot in HS or Juco from the three.

Arena backgrounds are different but but most importantly playing defense and actually running set plays like 3G demands completely takes your legs away if you are not used to it. This is a conditioning issue and and an experience issue. Taking plays off in Juco and HS are not uncommon—here you end up on the bench.

Theres a reason SIU couldn’t shoot during their heyday and a reason Creighton could—one played defense and the other didn’t.

That level of conditioning is unfathomable of until you have to experience it. That’s why FVV spend the off season running stadium steps at 6 in the morning with a weighted vest.

Comment

• Unfortunately, I can't get the image of SHJ's two 'atomic bombs' out of my pea brain; anyone else having the same flashbacks this morning?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  The bottom line: there were at least four, maybe five guys on last year’s team that would’ve been the best player on this year’s team including one guy that couldn’t shoot outside of three feet. With the freshmen and JE improving, Teddy Buckets eligible, and one of our newcomers being ready made to play right away that won’t be the case next year.

MM would be a nice 4th or 5th option on a good team, Samajae would barely crack a 9-10 man rotation. Those guys haven’t changed much from last year.

Daishon Smith scored 42 last night but it doesn’t matter because he wouldn’t have been here this year unless he redshirted his senior year. Nonetheless he may be our best player if he were here this year.

Hard to take but easy to understand. If guys hang on, don’t get upset and bail, and understand what it takes to play D-1 basketball between the ears, I promise they and we will see the fruits of their efforts.
                  Good comment.

Our two seniors just aren't capable of consistently leading a team.

This year is quickly headed to being nothing more than a try out for next years team. The players that are retained will gain experience from this year. The ones that leave will make room for new players that can contribute.

It seems pretty obvious that some have already, and correctly, been cut from next years team, with a few others playing for their WSU basketball lives.

Comment

• Maybe we should go back to recruiting "MVC level" players.
                    Professional gas passer.

Comment

• FadedCrown
                      FadedCrown commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "MVC level players" wouldn't be playing minutes right now

• “It’s frustrating because we know what we’re capable of...We’ve got to grow up... We’re tired of losing, man." -McDuffie

One can only hope this lights a fire under some asses. At some point, this team is what it is, but it would be great to see them start to turn a corner a little bit. I'm hopeful we can start to see more of the defense from the first 10 minutes, and the offense from the first 4 minutes of the second half. Atomic bomb turnovers have got to start being eliminated. We cannot continue to run a zone defense.

I'm ready to play Temple today, and am oddly excited for that game. It's been a while since we beat a legitimate team.
                    Last edited by Mr. Pickle; January 4, 2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• I'm recovering from my game-induced hangover.

Yeah, that was a tough one. I'm having fun with the drinking games this year, because contrary to what some may think on here, they're not going to get me even buzzed next year.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• If SHJ didnt play another minute then I would be fine by that.
                        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• We are what we are this year. Look for improvement on an individual level, and view the big picture as a developmental season. The future remains bright, even if it feels like the light was turned off for this year.

The seniors are “what you see is what you get” at this point in the game. Not going to re-train an old dog, no matter the quote quips they throw out to local media that sound otherwise.

It does suck that this is happening in the first place, but it’s not something any of us can control. Another argument for another day would be why a program we thought was at X level is going through this at all. Can’t stay a T25 team every single year unless you have on jerseys from about 10 different schools, but we’re not even T100 right now, and that is sorta shocking.

Comment

• RH: Turnovers Doom Shockers in Loss at Memphis

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/1/3...t-memphis.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yup .. Many of the Memphis fans were trying to tout that Penny with a bunch of "freshman and jucos" beat Marshall. They failed to realize that 6 of the 9 people that played last night have at least 1 year D1 experience including 5 Seniors. We had 2 of 9 with D1 game experience (not counting AM 1 minute as a 10th player yesterday)
                              I sincerely hope there aren't any Shocker fans over on the AAC board attempting to ride the excuses train. It will be the biggest face palm ever. I'm not going to look because I suspect there are. Just take your ****ing lumps. We certainly earned them.

We got curb-stomped by an Ex-NBA player whose greatest accomplishment after leaving said NBA was running a hair salon and lawn mower business. Oh yeah, he was also a high school coach that used his fame to collect impressionable young kids from all over the region effectively creating a team of ringers. Hell, he was probably handing out NBA SWAG left and right as well as money straight out of his wallet. He was "like a father" to so many of "his kids". Regardless, your crazy old aunt could have run his high school teams and won like crazy. It was like coaching Kentucky, but in a high school gym.

Watching Coach Penny on the sidelines was very entertaining. I think had he not blinked every now and then, I would have mistaken him for a totem pole. He just rolled that ball out son and his team handled a National Coach of the Year in stride.

1) The fact that we have 9 new players in one year under a coach in his 12th season is a problem.
                              2) The fact that we continue to shoot contested 3's when we are in the bonus is a problem.
                              3) The fact that our team still plays like their life doesn't depend on the win (on defense) is a problem.
                              4) The fact that people are still talking about conditioning is a problem.
                              5) The fact that players aren't helping players off the floor is a problem.
                              6) The fact that we are seeing seniors playing like freshmen at times, in back to back years, is a problem.

We have a problem and we just got rolled by a rank amateur with zero D1 coaching experience.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X