Wichita State at Memphis Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Torres - you better figure it out or you’ll spend your Sr. Year on the bench behind a couple freshmen
    8 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. Defense was no worse than any of our other guards last night and didn't hurt us with poor shot selection. What would you like him to figure out, exactly?

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

8 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. Defense was no worse than any of our other guards last night and didn't hurt us with poor shot selection. What would you like him to figure out, exactly?
      I'd like him to find his 43% (on 5 attempts a game) 3 pt shot he had last year in JUCO

Comment

• RoyalShock
        RoyalShock commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be nice.

• Dan
        Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. He has to make an impact on offense and defense. He does just enough but definitely not the level of PG WSU is used to. Our PG should be the leader and most important player on the floor, Ricky is a 2nd string caliber guy.

• TheShocktocles
        TheShocktocles commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally agree with all you guys on Torres. He has got to do more. Why? Because we need someone to lead this team. I once had a co-worker complain about the load of work they were giving him. I told him don't complain. They only give it to those that can handle it. When we were kids in school a teacher always said everybody gets a chance to lead, but now I know that everyone should not lead. Leaders need to lead.

• I agree with the IPBC analysis up top. Move the dude to the 4. He is quick enough and certainly has range. Gotta give him more time. I am very pleasantly surprised by his potential and progress to this point.

Comment

• We got out-athleted, which is no surprise. Not a whole lot of coaching going on from either bench. I'll see everybody Sunday, but I don't think it will be a sellout.

Comment

• Topshock
          Topshock commented
          Editing a comment
          Honestly this product doesn't deserve a sellout. If i didn't have season tickets not sure I would go.

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow. Doesn't deserve a sell out. What have you done for me lately, indeed. SMH

• Topshock
          Topshock commented
          Editing a comment
          Just saying you can't really expect a casual fan to go out and buy a ticket to watch this team, completing a sellout. You can call it what you have done lately if you want but it's reality.

• Quality bigs are hard to find, and this team has 2 Freshmen that look promising and appear able to contribute this year. Add in Jaime and I'm very impressed with all 3 new bigs. If coach will adjust to the fact that post play is this teams strength and tailor the offense to run through the post like he did with Stutz, it would likely help take some pressure off the guards. The offense WSU runs dictates a lot of play on the perimeter, and this year, it just happens to be this team's weakness.
        -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Here is the guys tweet regarding Marshall skipping out early on Taylor. This one isn’t that bad compared to all of his other ones during the game. He acts like a two year old.

Comment

• TheShocktocles
            TheShocktocles commented
            Editing a comment
            We have to be strong enough to just say eff those fans and other media folks that are going to take shots at our coach, fan, and team. Next game is all that counts. Keep improving and stop making the same mistakes.

• Topshock
            Topshock commented
            Editing a comment
            After reading those tweets, I'm confused. Are you saying GM acted like a two year old because it sounded like he did.

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          https://twitter.com/mgiannotto/statu...800335874?s=21

Here is the guys tweet regarding Marshall skipping out early on Taylor. This one isn’t that bad compared to all of his other ones during the game. He acts like a two year old.
          Taylor also chimed in:

I've been a big fan of Taylor's articles, but I think it's probably unwise to complain about lack of access to HCGM. It could be made a whole lot worse pretty easily.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            It may be unwise, but that is not a reflection on Taylor. It does reflect poorly on Coach Marshall. However, I wouldn't expect #G to change. He is who he is.

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            Taylor does a great job but what’s this “since I travel to cover the team” stuff? Surely his travel expenses are covered as part of his employment with the Eagle? Maybe not. If they are covered, he’s going as part of his job so what difference does the fact that he traveled there make? It’s part of his job.

Honestly, the value Taylor provides and my interest in his articles has nothing to do with quotes from HCGM. There are so many ways I can get coaches opinion directly from the source (coaches show, post game interview, video of his post game press conference, etc). Besides, why does he need an extra two minutes outside the allotted post game media availability?

To me, Taylors value comes from breaking down the game film. He’s great at it and doesn’t need any generally meaningless coach speak to go with it.

• proshox
            proshox commented
            Editing a comment
            There is no defense for HCGM on this one. Taylor is a premier beat writer and HCGM should be thankful that Taylor will take the high road on this one.

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          My goodness, that is good.

Comment

• TheShocktocles
            TheShocktocles commented
            Editing a comment
            This is outstanding. Our guard play is terrible in those examples. The lack of attacking by the guards on fast breaks and failure to penetrate in proper situations is why we shoot low number of free throws . I am glad they showed the example of how we screw up fast breaks and shoot dumb contested 3 pointers.

Some of you guys continue to talk about how you miss Jans. No disrespect to him but this is not a coaching problem. This is a problem of players not being held accountable by the leaders. But when your leaders are the ones making many of the dumb plays with a bunch of freshmen on the team you get chaotic play.

I will never will forget the story of Fred throwing a ball up into the stands in Koch Arena after Oruphe continued to screw up the hedge on defense and foul him in practice. The leader made it clear that kind of play would have to change. Who are our leaders on this team that can hold players acvountable?

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            And maybe another reason TE appears to be given the cold shoulder, which is unfortunate. TE has not been in the mold of MK or PS and pretty much says it like he sees it (and, so far, he see it quite well). He also visits SN on occasion which also probably doesn't go over well. Hope the Eagle knows they have a winner in Taylor.

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          https://twitter.com/mgiannotto/statu...800335874?s=21

Here is the guys tweet regarding Marshall skipping out early on Taylor. This one isn’t that bad compared to all of his other ones during the game. He acts like a two year old.
          Memphis media is the worst. They do nothing but post random things that stir the pot. Rarely with any fact checking beside checking with someone brothers uncles cousins daughter who overheard someone on the bus.

Comment

• To emphasize how freaking young we are, and the "lack of talent" comments. In the Marshall era there have been THREE, count em, THREE players who played more than 20 MPG in their freshman years, and all 3 have a bit of asterisks, two were redshirt freshmen who probably could/would have played his true freshman year, and the other was in another cupboard is bare situation. Those players are Toure Murry, Landry Shamet, and Ron Baker. Know what else they have in common? They were all NBA players, that should tell you how damn good you have to be, typically, to play THAT much as a freshman. This year, WE HAVE 3 ALONE. Stevenson, Dennis and Burton are all over 20 MPG.

So lets get a bit of a grip on not talented enough, Dex and Erik are amongst the best rebounders we've had for ANY freshman let alone guards/wing. Players who cracked the rotation as freshman and had an A:TO ratio over 1: Tekele, Ron, Fred, Landry, Austin, and oh Erik. Other than Fred and Landry, Dex is probably the next best 3 point shooter we've had in their freshman year. Jamarius has a solid 20.9 assist rate right around where Toure was his freshman year. Udeze has THE highest FG% of any rotation freshman even among offensively skilled big men like Durley, Shaq and Stutz. There is a lot of potential on this roster, the problem is if one player is out of sync, which is bound to happen with all the newcomers, it throws the whole team off because we don't have enough veteran's to pick up the slack. We'll get there, it just takes time.

Comment

• shoxlax
              shoxlax commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree with you bro. See my post below

• Rocky Mountain Shock
              Rocky Mountain Shock commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you

• Seems like decision-making is a big problem, and out two Seniors are the worst at this.

Comment

• R. Torres needs to find his shot, this offense needs it.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Shocks kept fighting but Memphis had too much firepower for us. Good news. We shot 100% on throws at 6-6. Bad news though was the Tigers were 25-31. This free-throw disparity hurt us and this is not the first time this Season. Their bench had 44 points and ours had 18. Temple will also be quite feisty but a win here Sunday would be kewl and very much welcomed.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• The bottom line: there were at least four, maybe five guys on last year’s team that would’ve been the best player on this year’s team including one guy that couldn’t shoot outside of three feet. With the freshmen and JE improving, Teddy Buckets eligible, and one of our newcomers being ready made to play right away that won’t be the case next year.

MM would be a nice 4th or 5th option on a good team, Samajae would barely crack a 9-10 man rotation. Those guys haven’t changed much from last year.

Daishon Smith scored 42 last night but it doesn’t matter because he wouldn’t have been here this year unless he redshirted his senior year. Nonetheless he may be our best player if he were here this year.

Hard to take but easy to understand. If guys hang on, don’t get upset and bail, and understand what it takes to play D-1 basketball between the ears, I promise they and we will see the fruits of their efforts.

Comment

Working...
                    X