Wichita State at Memphis Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy View Post
    We are just really bad, and honestly I see little hope for the near future (next couple of years). A lot of non D1 talent out there, no player development and really poor coaching. It is sad to see how far we have fallen. I knew this was going to be a tough season but I never expected to see a Smithson-like team.

We need at least three more guys to transfer out to get our roster on a solid foundation.
    You must have watched a different game than I did. Echenique, Chandler and Dennis I think are going to make strides this year. Burton and Stevenson are next year guys. Throw Teddy in next year and we are starting to look like a team that can compete. Somebody over the next year is going to have to learn to make a three though.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
      Keep the good parts of the team... Keep the players who are ok with less playing time... Bring in fresh players who coach thinks he can develop. Hopefully some become stars. Fingers crossed. This season is not for people with heart conditions. Saddle up

Yep. Gots to be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        The two lost loose balls at the end were killer. The one where SHJ was on the ground for some reason preventing someone else from grabbing the ball headed to the Memphis bench and the one SHJ couldn't grab at half court
        This team is the worst shocker team I have seen in terms of grabbing loose balls and not grabbing rebounds. So many times on rebounds the other tem just knocks the ball out of our players hands. But I agree that the 3 big men of JE, MU, and IPBC all have great potential if they can get stronger this summer. Seems like we need another legitimate inside player.

Comment

• Trying to look for positives:
          Outscored them in the 2nd half...by 1
          13-0 Memphis run in the first half was killer
          Move Poor Bear to the 4 and back up McDuffie

Comment

• 1. Ref's did us bad........real bad
            2. Our small guards can't defend especially dribble drives - can't afford to play them both at same time
            3. AM played very well the minute he was in there
            4. When MU returns I'd like to see IC play more PF ( RB in over his head ) and MM at SF more
            5. We actually play pretty well in stretches and then our guards fail us on D
            6. MM used to be a good defensive player but not any more - too soft
            7. If JE stays healthy I still think we win 7 maybe 8 conference games
            8. More zone please cause our guards are over matched

Comment

• N Crestway
              N Crestway commented
              Editing a comment
              Thought we would see more zone with Echenigue injured...thought we would also see more AM.

• wusphlash
              wusphlash commented
              Editing a comment
              Gregg is not going to allow you to see more AM. Would not even put him in to protect the two most productive guys in the first half who both had 2 fouls, that is until Chandler got his third. Seems more and more like Gregg has a personal issue with Asbjorn.

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              wusphlash with a ridiculous comment. GM has given AM more leash than most coach's would have at this level.. A few people need to just realize he can't play at this level. It's that simple.

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

You must have watched a different game than I did. Echenique, Chandler and Dennis I think are going to make strides this year. Burton and Stevenson are next year guys. Throw Teddy in next year and we are starting to look like a team that can compete. Somebody over the next year is going to have to learn to make a three though.
            I agree. We also lose SHJ and to a certain extent MM, which IMO will help out also.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• BOBB
              BOBB commented
              Editing a comment
              I want to like SHJ as a player because he is such a great story. He just is not good. McDuffie is a shell of his Sophomore self. He needs a Fred.

We could all use a little Fred right now.

• WstateU
              WstateU commented
              Editing a comment
              https://i.imgflip.com/18vso8.jpg

• RB - I just don’t see it. If he was a hustler like Rashard Kelly, then ok, but he’s not.
            AM - buh bye
            Burton - is he a PG or a power forward? Makes no sense to me.
            Stevenson - no D no shooting equals no playing
            Torres - you better figure it out or you’ll spend your Sr. Year on the bench behind a couple freshmen

Comment

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you saying Torres needs to take more quick shots that result in fast breaks for the other team? Because that’s apparently what earns senior PGs their minutes.

• Both Dennis and Chandler played well tonight, Chandler best game of the year. Echenigue played a good game despite being saddled with foul trouble. Mcduffie had a good stretch late in the second half. Shot too many 3s and not enough free throws. Perimeter defense needs to improve ( allowed to much dribble penetration). We need a point guard, that’s really hurting us, we have one that can’t shoot and one that shoots to much. Neither can create shots for their teammates. We’re a poor ball handling team. The positive was we still made a game of it and didn’t give up, that gives us hope. I like our youngsters but man it sure is frustrating sometimes.

Comment

• jcdshocker
              jcdshocker commented
              Editing a comment
              You are right Einstein. PG with 8 assists and 0 turnovers. That is not creating shots for teammates. That is poor ball handling.

The reason we lost the game is that we CAN’T make baskets. And we don’t defend well. This goes for veterans and youngsters.

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
            Honestly, I saw some improvement. Definitely had some fight. Too many bonehead plays to overcome in the end.
            BOBB,
            You are I are continuing our relentless pursuit of agreement!
            Some positives signs... DD and especially IPC...but this team makes you reach for the Maalox by the first TV T.O.
            It's not so much the Frosh but the Sr's. MM is a nice cog, but when signaled out by the opposition, becomes very ordinary. SHJ is what he is - a fill gap player who under normal roster conditions would never see the floor.
            Disappointed this group had two weeks to work on trouble spots and they reared their ugly heads again tonight. Some were so bad, they made my teeth hurt. Others were literally just the result of growing pains with all of the youth. HCGM knows what needs do to be done. It's a matter of sooner than later.

Just a random thought, but I do miss Chris Jans more and more as each day passes.

​​​​​​​That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• BOBB
              BOBB commented
              Editing a comment
              For fans of “The Wire” HCGM could use a little of Marlo Stanfield’s wisdom:

“You want it to be one way, but it’s the other way.”

Accept our players are where they are and coach from there.

• How does 5'10" Alex Lomax lead both teams in rebounding with 8 tonight? That should tell you something right there.

Comment

• Who is this Mark Giannatto clown on Twitter?

Is this how a beat writer is supposed to act now?

His tweets alone would make me despise Memphis.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                Memphis definitely rivals Illinois State and Kansas as one of the worst and dumbest fan bases around.

• shoxlax
                shoxlax commented
                Editing a comment
                I was really over the loss, expected it and happy we showed some signs, and then I read this guys running line of low rent shitty tweets. Now I am wide awake and pissed again.

• Can’t find tweets. Did they get taken down?

Comment

• A few more things. First, I never heard anything about MU not being available. Gave IC more time
                and he took advantage offensively. Second, AM's size and potential are too great too discard. His
                stats, although with very limited minutes played, are very decent and his defense has been decent, as well.
                I wish people would get off him. He has not hurt this team one bit and his bench attitude / enthusiasm
                is great despite lack of PT. Have I mentioned before that our starting guards are over matched? I will
                note that RT had 8 assists - he does see the court and finds open team mates but his defense is poor.
                Going into the season I thought the center position would be our main weakness but it has been our
                strength. Both seniors take too many BAD shots and both are playing poorly on defense and those are
                two areas where, as seniors, they should be doing much better at.

Comment

• wusphlash
                  wusphlash commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Which play in the So Miss game bothered you the most. Was it when he was put in for the final free throw? Or maybe it was when he was put in for the final free throw? I guess it could have been when he was put in for the final free throw? Just wondering.

• Topshock
                  Topshock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He played at the start of So Miss comeback. I guess you missed that.

• wusphlash
                  wusphlash commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was wrong. He was in for 60 seconds that amounted to two trips down the floor. One where Ricky turned the ball over which resulted in a made 3 by So Miss and one where Markis missed a 3 and So Miss came down and made a jumper. I was wrong to suggest he was only in for the final free throw and not recall that 60 seconds.
                  Last edited by wusphlash; January 5, 2019, 02:29 PM.

• Five plays that show WSU's issues in road loss (Plus some positive plays)

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  Just saw this too. Great analysis. In all the bad of last night, Poor-Bear was really good. He's very mobile for his size and has now shown some good post moves. If we can just figure out how to consistently get the ball into the post for JE, Poor-Bear, and MU I think we can take that next step. That's a HUGE hurdle with how our guards and seniors play though.

Comment

Working...
                  X