Wichita State vs VCU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a quick observation, take it for what it's worth (not much I admit):

It's just not a stretch at all: We lost the LT game. Certainly could have lost the game to a more than decent Providence team (and down 10 early in the first half, I'm sure many of us were trying to find a win on the schedule). We lost to Davidson. Without discussing who we might have played, we certainly could have lost to App State. We lost to Alabama. We almost got it to a one possession game with Baylor and OU hammered us. Jax State and Southern Miss were essentially one possession games and VCU beat us handily. Outside of Rice and ORU, none of the wins were rock solid. This team could be 2-9. Yes a bunch of things would have had to go wrong, but it's far from impossible. I think it's a testament to the grittiness and overall effort of the players and coaches et al that we're 7-5. Sure there have been mistakes, by everyone, even the fans, but the results, in my opinion, are better than expected.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

• pie n eye
      pie n eye commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say they’ve been about what I expected. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. We also could have easily won the Davidson and LT games. Looking back 9-3 seems just as realistic as 3-9.

So far we’ve lacked the consistency necessary to win as many games as were used to. I’m not surprised because from day one coach told us what to expect from this team. It’s played out pretty much exactly like he said.

Unlike the OU game I thought the guys pulled out of the second half nose dive and competed down the stretch but were just too short handed to make enough of a dent.

It’s not much but that’s one of the hallmarks of WSU basketball in the Marshall era - no quit.

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't agree that the Shocks could realistically have beaten LaTech, and they weren't going to beat Alabama on a day when Bama went out of their minds at the foul line even though it was otherwise an even game. But they should have beaten Davidson, and it was really pretty hard hard for them not to. So 8-4 is a realistic upside in my view.

I also don't think the Shocks could realistically have found a way to lose all the close games Doc mentioned. So in my view they're closer to 8-4 than 3-9, and 7-5 pretty accurately reflects that. I also believe they're getting better -- but they'll need good play (and health) from Echenique to keep that trend going as well as it could.

Merry Christmas to all.

• kcshocker11
      kcshocker11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Like I said , I still believe! Merry Christmas to you.

• Would love to see the up vote removed from posting on this forum. The way it is now you have guys formulating their comments based on a group think model in order to garner the most likes. It gets kind of nauseating. Maybe add a down vote for when the gagger gets kicked.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• shoxlax
      shoxlax commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re wrong Cold and that was the worst post in the history of this board.

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for being coldblooded and not pandering...

T

• lostshocker
      lostshocker commented
      Editing a comment
      people actually care about that **** and think it matters?

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    Would love to see the up vote removed from posting on this forum. The way it is now you have guys formulating their comments based on a group think model in order to garner the most likes. It gets kind of nauseating. Maybe add a down vote for when the gagger gets kicked.

T

Those of us predicting a difficult season and rejecting the "top 3 in the AAC - bubble NCAA team" theory last September would have all been banned by all the down votes. Then all the sunshine pumpers could be out here singing various choruses of Kumbaya to each other because there would be no opinions other than their own to degrade from the quality of the conversation.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
      ShockingButTrue commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorta' like the ones who demand a "substantive" contribution? Almost repulsive isn't it?

• Shockm
      Shockm commented
      Editing a comment
      Before the season started, I don't know how I was classified because I didn't know exactly where we stood. I predicted 18-21 wins which I thought 18 was a reasonable prediction. However, I didn't reject the Top 3 in the AAC theory, because I didn't know how the conference would be. I thought it would be down. Obviously this conference is a little better than I thought and Top 3 was never a possibility.

After we played Baylor, I thought 18-21 wins was still a possibility. Now with our injury problems to Dexter and J. Ech., I think that 500 may be too much to ask. This team couldn't afford things outside their control like injuries to multiple young contributors (who appeared destined to make improvements) to muck things up, and set them back.Without these set backs, I still think that this team was potentially a good team. Now, I just hope to see individuals improve and be prepared for next year to be a come back year and be a factor in next years conference race.

Anyone who declares that they predicted the conference wouldn't be down, is blowing smoke.
      Last edited by Shockm; December 25, 2018, 10:52 AM.

• We got our a** handed to us in the VCU game. We couldn't handle their defense, which comes back to the coaches. We are going to have more of those type of games in conference. I have noticed that our offense is not very good without McDuffie and Haynes-Jones. I am beginning to believe our new recruits aren't that good as advertised. Stevenson is the exception to that, and Ech is good. I was a guard growing up, and I am a firm believer that a guard has to be a good outside shooter. We have to have MORE than 2 guys scoring, it spreads the offense, and also allows for more dribble drives. Right now I don't see us dancing, if you think so, you are just going on the past.

Comment

• Dancing? Surely there is nobody who believes that we will be dancing

Comment

• Come on McFly, no rational thinking Shocker fan has said we will dance this year. Ease up on the egg nog.

Comment

• 60Shock
          60Shock commented
          Editing a comment
          Rational being the key word.

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
        Come on McFly, no rational thinking Shocker fan has said we will dance this year. Ease up on the egg nog.
        20% of the fans here think WSU is dancing in 2019

Comment

• WSUwatcher
          WSUwatcher commented
          Editing a comment
          All they have to do is win the conference tournament, which has been done by lesser teams than this year's Shocks. Not likely, but certainly not impossible..

• pinstripers
          pinstripers commented
          Editing a comment
          so you're saying there's a chance

• I said 2019 but only because numbers are hard. I think I meant 3019

Comment

Working...
        X