Wichita State vs VCU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

ES had a really bad game but ease up on him. He is pushing and pushing hard to fill-in the role for both DD and him. Give him some time - he will be fine.

Surprised no one on here commented about the start of the second half when VCU ripped off 12 straight points until HCGM FINALLY called a time out.
    Game. Set. Match.

Every other coach in college basketball would have snapped after 3 straight baskets and tackled an official for a time out. HCGM remained stubborn and let the tidal wave roll on until it was 49-34 and then decide he had seen enough.
    That is just stubborn bullshit.

Fred and Ron are gone and not coming back. Start coaching this team as though they are a bunch of inexperienced freshmen and not seasoned NBA caliber players.

That is all.
    I am sick of agreeing with you. Is HCGM taking the same approach he took with the Murry, Kyles, Stutz crew? That is what we need here. Maybe simplify the playbook a bit, or a lot. Focus on execution. Take opportunities to teach during the game, not just explode. These guys aren't just going to put on the Shocker jersey and "get it." He needs to make them get it.

Fans aren't the only ones that got spoiled with Fred and Ron around. Coach needs to get to work. He is clearly capable of molding this team and I believe most of our players are capable of being molded. HCGM just needs to accept his role. We were probably going to lose yesterday regardless, but going from a lead to a blow out requires some coaching mistakes.

Also, I think ES is going to be a good player, just not a knock down shooter. I'd settle for made layups from him just fine right now.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      na

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      In the past HCGM was probably 100% concerned it wasn’t going to work out. The pure fear of failure can be quite the motivator. This year he is able to remember how bad it looked when were in a complete free fall... that is allowing him to take this in stride. I am not sure which approach is better... time will tell.

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
    This Fr. class doesn't appear to be as good as Turg's Frosh class of Burn, Kampamn, Howard and Miller (Redshirt). That class never advanced beyond and NIT.

For what it's worth...
    Marshall is a better coach than Turgeon.

Shox didn’t play well due to 3 combinations. Foul trouble, missing shots and JE’s injury. A three legged stool without a leg to stand on.

Disappointing game.

Comment

• It ain't even close. There is no comparison between Marshall and Turgeon. Marshall is a way better coach and communicates better to our fan base. Heck he even is a great ambassador to my belove city of Wichita.I also think this fpreshman class is better than Burns etc.

But these guys do need better coaching. I know Coach doesnt like to call timeouts but he might have to adjust a little with this group. We not only have a bunch of freshmen but several guys playing Division 1 for the first time. We all knew this was going to be a struggle this year. My biggest gripe is the mental mistakes and missed open shots. I do see them playing harder and that's good. Go shocks.

Comment

• the shockers played well in the first half, i thought. the echenique injury was a huge blow to the team (how long will he be sidelined).. he was getting after it.

one of these days, when we least expect it, the shockers will put together two strong halves. i just hope that they can get and stay healthy from here on out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

I am sick of agreeing with you. Is HCGM taking the same approach he took with the Murry, Kyles, Stutz crew? That is what we need here. Maybe simplify the playbook a bit, or a lot. Focus on execution. Take opportunities to teach during the game, not just explode. These guys aren't just going to put on the Shocker jersey and "get it." He needs to make them get it.

Fans aren't the only ones that got spoiled with Fred and Ron around. Coach needs to get to work. He is clearly capable of molding this team and I believe most of our players are capable of being molded. HCGM just needs to accept his role. We were probably going to lose yesterday regardless, but going from a lead to a blow out requires some coaching mistakes.

Also, I think ES is going to be a good player, just not a knock down shooter. I'd settle for made layups from him just fine right now.
          "...but going from a lead to a blow out requires some coaching mistakes."

Or losing the best big man you've had in 35 years. We had the game under control until Jaime went down. Vegas odds would have been 50/50 at that point in the game at worst.

Losing JE allowed the opposition to stop doubling down low. That was checkmate for our already suspect guard situation. For Christ's sakes we were having walkons bring the ball up the floor in VCU's barn...

T

...:cool:

Comment

This Fr. class doesn't appear to be as good as Turg's Frosh class of Burn, Kampamn, Howard and Miller (Redshirt). That class never advanced beyond and NIT.

For what it's worth...
            This class will blow that class away. Freshman have never really thrived in coach Marshall's complicated system and he brought in a big class. Don't underestimate there is about 300 D1 schools with more experience than the SHOX. People forget Baker, Brown, Sham, and Shaq all had redshirt years. I also remember a class with 3 future NBA players AC, CL, and OJ that was a one and done NIT team.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
              ShockingButTrue commented
              Editing a comment
              It was a good freshman class:

15-15
              18-12
              21-11
              22-10

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              Much better class in a pretty damn good MVC

• shelback
              shelback commented
              Editing a comment
              Of course that was a good class. They started the rise back to were WSU belongs. But this class will win NCAA tournament games. Like I've said on here before Freshman haven't thrived in Coach Marshall's system to date. Its complicated and demanding but once they master the system watch out. I remember Coach Marshall saying when he first got to Wichita the player's he inherited didn't know how to run basic drills he uses daily in practice.

• Santa gave me a lump of coal with JE's injury. We weren't going to make noise this season, but it's still an opportunity for the young ones to develop. JE was on the verge of blowing up, every game he was exhibiting glimpses of being first team all AAC and now he'll probably be out for the year. You can't easily replace a man who was shooting 61%/54% from the field and led the team in blocks. I'm even more pissed when I realize he's a junior and we have him only for one more year.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              A first team 6'11 scoring machine equates to making noise this season. Had Jaime kept it up we'd have been playing every team 5 on 4 the rest of the way. A prolific scoring machine down low throws every coach's preferred defensive plan out the window. SHJ would have been free to jack 'em up with impunity. That would be a winning strategy with a career 3-ball percentage near 40.

T

• ShockerFever
              ShockerFever commented
              Editing a comment
              smh

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              You spelled it wrong... it's SHJ. :)

Did you see that beautiful 3 he swished coming off a screen in the flow of the offense. Magnificent!

LOL!

T

For what it's worth...
            Let's remember that Burns, Kampman, and Howard had Srs Benton, Mack, and McFall, Jr Steven, and So Clark to learn from. McFall being a senior PG was a big help. All 3 of the seniors averaged double digits in scoring just behind Burns and Howard. That team finish .500 in the non-con and conference and went 1-8 in conference away games.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelback View Post

Don't underestimate there is about 300 D1 schools with more experience than the SHOX.
              according to Kenpom (as of yesterday), WSU was ranked 280 out 353 in EXPERIENCE.

The teams ranked below WSU in experience here is their kenpom ratings

Top 50: 10
              51-100: 11
              100-150: 6
              151-200: 8
              250+: 38

Plenty of teams finding away to get it done despite their youth.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll add, did they count Teddy's D-I experience? How about Farrakhan as a Junior or the other 2 So walk-ons?

• shelback
                shelback commented
                Editing a comment
                WSU is not bringing recruiting classes full of top 100 guys. They also dont play against lower level teams in that bottom 200-300 teams,we play a pretty good to very good schedule. Freshman haven't thrived in coach Marshall's system. I am waiting till next year to judge this class. I'm pretty confident they will live up to the expectations they had coming in

• SB Shock
                SB Shock commented
                Editing a comment
                Kenpom rating are adjusted for eligibility. He ratings this year do not have Teddy in them.

• Hey guys, VCU fan here. Never done the "post on another team's message board before" (no hard feelings if you hate me doing so), but reading through this thread and I couldn't help but chuckle as it read almost identical to one of our own. Not gleeful at ya'll's misery, just thought it was funny the common refrains on a message board after a loss. I know it's easy for me to say considering the result yesterday but I always love playing the Shockers and am happy we've got this series going again. Best of luck in the American this season.

Comment

• choida
                choida commented
                Editing a comment
                Hope we can get a series started... would make for great TV and help both programs

• JVShocker
                JVShocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree with choida. This should be a regular home and home. Get it done.

• Originally posted by RamJam View Post
              Hey guys, VCU fan here. Never done the "post on another team's message board before" (no hard feelings if you hate me doing so), but reading through this thread and I couldn't help but chuckle as it read almost identical to one of our own. Not gleeful at ya'll's misery, just thought it was funny the common refrains on a message board after a loss. I know it's easy for me to say considering the result yesterday but I always love playing the Shockers and am happy we've got this series going again. Best of luck in the American this season.
              This is just ONE of at least FIVE threads that you could sit back, read, laugh and enjoy. If fans didn't come here to ***** about the game, we'd all drink ourselves silly. Though some do a little of both, I think. :poster_shocks:

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

according to Kenpom (as of yesterday), WSU was ranked 280 out 353 in EXPERIENCE.

The teams ranked below WSU in experience here is their kenpom ratings

Top 50: 10
                51-100: 11
                100-150: 6
                151-200: 8
                250+: 38

Plenty of teams finding away to get it done despite their youth.

There are FOUR teams with less returning minutes. Most of our "experience" is coming up from the walk ons and people that didn't and still don't play (AM, RB)

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Most of our experience came from Markis and Samajae. Asbjorn minutes count but were minimal. Rod Brown had no experience playing in a D-1 game. I think any minutes from our walk-ons is meaningless mop up minutes.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 23, 2018, 06:12 PM.

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  1972Shocker, apparently, kenpom does not use D-I minutes as his qualifier if only 4 teams had less returning minutes, yet SB Shock had kenpom saying there were 73 teams with less "experience". Kenpom may be taking in RS years and D-I years of walk-ons, not minutes.

MM's minutes 85.7% of our D-I minutes.

• Again I post this. Really the only stats that matter

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The 3 teams below us are a combined 9-27. I looked at total career D-I minutes (transfers from other D-I team minutes included) and 2 of those 3 teams are very close to WSU's career minutes.

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I noticed that Drake was #347, only 3 spots better than us and having a successful season, so I looked closer. They add 2 5th year seniors. Drake's career D-I minutes are 5787. WSU's are 2293 (1964 of which are MMs minutes).

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                http://www.barttorvik.com/returningmins.php

Again I post this. Really the only stats that matter
                Never heard of the site before. I stick with Kenpom. The only stat that really matters is W-L

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We were not talking wins/loses, but the best way to gauge D-I experience. Good experience does not necessarily equal good success, but very little experience most likely means a lack of good success, especially without the highest in talent (4 & 5 stars).

• shoxlax
                  shoxlax commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are right, but for returning experience, this was the site that seems to be the most accurate and consistent as to what we’ve been hearing since the season began.

I didn’t even get into the other analytics tables so have no idea as to their quality or data points.

But feel free....

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That site has been around for a long time and I've seen lots of people reference it.

• Taylor Eldridge@tayloreldridge 33m33 minutes ago

Something to keep in mind: Only 5 freshman (JT Durley, Toure' Murry, Fred VanVleet, Markis McDuffie & Landry Shamet) have played more than 35% of minutes in Gregg Marshall's first 11 seasons at WSU. There will be 4 alone on this year's team that will exceed that mark.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                  Shocktoberfest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ron would be on here had he not been hurt most of the season.
              Working...
              X