No announcement yet.

Shockers in the NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's when he lost out on some of his assists.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
      What was evident at the game last night was Fred's incredible court vision; being able to penetrate just far enough to hit an open man. My Son-in-law, who went to the game with me, said at half that FVV should've had double digit assists but teammates were missing shots he fed them.
      I noticed that too. He easily should have had 10-12 assists as well.

Comment

• Fred is going to get PAID this offseason. If he can get his shooting % up he could get stupid money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
          Fred is going to get PAID this offseason. If he can get his shooting % up he could get stupid money.
          Yep. He is making $9.3 mil this year and is an UFA after this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Yep. He is making $9.3 mil this year and is an UFA after this season.
            I read somewhere (fan speculation) that he could make in the neighborhood of $80mm over 4 years - that would call for a ‘mega’ Yipes Stripes Beechnut Gum!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I read somewhere (fan speculation) that he could make in the neighborhood of $80mm over 4 years - that would call for a ‘mega’ Yipes Stripes Beechnut Gum!
              It is a perfect time for him to hit free agency. The free agency market is the thinnest I have seen in a while. The only superstar that could hit the market is Anthony Davis and it would be a massive surprise if he didn't resign with the Lakers. DeRozen is the only other player that you could classify as a star that hits the market. The other free agent PG's Fred will be competing against will be 30+ year old Dragic, Teague, and Jackson. He should be the clear cut top PG. My initial guess is there will be a bidding war between the Raptors, Pistons, Timberwolves, and possibly the magic.

Comment

• What are the tax implications if he were to stay in Canada?

Comment

• Much worse than in Orlando.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                    What are the tax implications if he were to stay in Canada?
                    Professional athletes are taxed in the state (or province) where they earn their money. He pays Florida state taxes (none) when he plays in Orlando. He pays whatever tax rate there is in Toronto when he plays home games.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Professional athletes are taxed in the state (or province) where they earn their money. He pays Florida state taxes (none) when he plays in Orlando. He pays whatever tax rate there is in Toronto when he plays home games.
                      That sounds like a real mess to deal with every year.
                      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post

That sounds like a real mess to deal with every year.
                        Yeah, agreed. I think they may technically be NBA employees, thus the ability to do this. They're not "technically" employed by the team.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Yeah, agreed. I think they may technically be NBA employees, thus the ability to do this. They're not "technically" employed by the team.
                          It really doesn't matter who your employer is. If you earn money from working in a particular state or you have business interests that operate in multiple states than the income from the activities within each state are taxable by the state in which earned. For a W-2 employee like Fred's NBA salary the employer is responsible for filing state W-2's in each state where Fred earns money. The fact that he works mostly in Canada presents additional complications. My guess, is that for tax purposes Fred is domiciled in Illinois but I don't know that for sure.

Generally, your state of domicile, Illinois in Fred's case II think, taxes you on 100% of your income and allow credits for taxes paid to other states and foreign tax credits for any Canadian income taxes paid.

I think it is safe conclude a few things: 1. Yes, Fred's tax returns are complex. 2. No, Fred is not sitting at the kitchen table in April preparing his own tax return and 3. None of us would want or perhaps would even be able to pay Fred's tax return preparation fees.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 15, 2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

It really doesn't matter who your employer is. If you earn money from working in a particular state or you have business interests that operate in multiple states than the income from the activities within each state are taxable by the state in which earned. For a W-2 employee like Fred's NBA salary the employer is responsible for filing state W-2's in each state where Fred earns money. The fact that he works mostly in Canada presents additional complications. My guess, is that for tax purposes Fred is domiciled in Illinois but I don't know that for sure.

Generally, your state of domicile, I think, taxes you on 100% of your income and allow credits for taxes paid to other states and foreign tax credits for any Canadian income taxes paid.

I think it is safe conclude a few things: 1. Yes, Fred's tax returns are complex. 2. No, Fred is not sitting at the kitchen table in April preparing his own tax return and 3. None of us would want or perhaps would even be able to pay Fred's tax return preparation fees.
                            4. I would gladly trade incomes with Fred and have to deal with that headache.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

4. I would gladly trade incomes with Fred and have to deal with that headache.
                              As would I, but am confident he wouldn't be interested in a trade. Not sure how long it would take him to stop laughing. The thing is with Fred's income taxes are not really a headache for him. He outsources those headaches. Most of us will have more headaches dealing with our taxes than Fred will.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 15, 2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

As would I, but am confident he wouldn't be interested in a trade. Not sure how long it would take him to stop laughing. The thing is with Fred's income it's not really a headache for him. He outsources those headaches. Most of us will have more headaches dealing with our taxes than Fred will.
                                My one caution to Fred would be... choose your business manager and friends wisely and be careful who you trust. I'm sure the 'Klingons' are coming out of the woodwork.

I'm betting Fred's on top of his 'business game' also...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X