Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankamp playing summer ball!

Comment

• Posted this is Landry’s thread, but what the hell. This is big news.

The Assman

Comment

• Great article on Fred and his place in Raptor lore.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Malcom was also at the 2 a lot when FVV was at the point.

As much of a FVV homer that I am, I'm not sure I'd say Fred was "leading Wichita State to upsets" in the NCAA. They were TEAM efforts of which Fred became one of several key players.

I would say, however, that I believe FVV had a bigger impact on the 2019 tournament Raptors success than the 2013 NCAA Shockers.
          Last edited by ShockTalk; June 28, 2019, 08:12 PM.

• wheathead
          wheathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Even an ol’ “shocker” pun to end the story.

2 things I hate: shocker puns and wizard of oz jokes.

• Steeleshocker
          Steeleshocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree Wuzee, it's like those old fishing tales that keep growing with time. Fred was a fantastic piece on that F4 team, and made some incredible plays, but he wasn't alone. And he certainly was never the starter. It's also somewhat forgotten that Fred had a couple of costly turnovers in the 2nd half against Louisville when Malcolm had to sit with foul trouble. In fact, we all thought Fred was good but many weren't certain how he would handle being the lead guard his sophomore year (which looks silly in retrospect).

• Comment

• From the Athletic: "Before the Raptors, there was Wichita State. That’s where Fred VanVleet was ‘destined to be something great’"

https://theathletic.com/1046894/

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence Shocker View Post
            From the Athletic: "Before the Raptors, there was Wichita State. That’s where Fred VanVleet was ‘destined to be something great’"

https://theathletic.com/1046894/
            Great article! Gives me confidence that, like Eric Wedge, when we need to replace a legend coach in HCGM we've got our man! (Ignoring the Butler years)

Comment

• Comment

• Kawhi Leonard to the clippers! So Fred just got a ring, Landry is next!

Comment

• Paul George too.

Glad Landry wasn’t part of that trade; could have easily been him instead of SJA.

Time to buy a Shamet jersey!
                  The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                    Paul George too.

Glad Landry wasn’t part of that trade; could have easily been him instead of SJA.

Time to buy a Shamet jersey!
                    I’m glad they didn’t either! I’m looking online for a jersey! Lol

Comment

• That's an unreal trade for OKC. George wasn't all that happy in OKC and had off season surgery and will probably miss some of the start of the 19-20 season and frankly didn't exactly bring success to the Thunder, for all his talent and stats.

OKC gets 20 year old rising star Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and versatile 30 year old 6'10" forward Danilo Gallinari. Neither anywhere near PG material, but 2 starters for the Clippers last season. But the real part of the trade are the 5, that's right, FIVE 1st Round picks going to OKC and additional 2 swap rights.

OKC will get the Clippers 1st Round plcks in 2021 (via Miami), 2022, 2024, 2026 (ALL unprotected), the 2023 1st rounder (via Miami which is protected) and then two 1st round swap options in 2023 & 2025. Who knows what they can parlay all those picks into?

Comment

• I like Kawhi to the Clippers if he wasn’t going to stay in Toronto. Him and PG both going there worries me a little for Landry’s minutes. I guess he can still be a starter if they’re comfortable with him at the point, but if not, he’ll be sitting behind one of those guys unless PG plays the 4, and I don’t think that’s going to happen.
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• But why leave Toronto after just winning a Championship???
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                            But why leave Toronto after just winning a Championship???
                            Ego? To show the world that he can win and Toronto wasn't just luck. That's why the Lakers never had a chance. His Ego won't allow him to be 3rd fiddle to LJ and AD.

Comment

• Originally posted by California Shocker View Post

Ego? To show the world that he can win and Toronto wasn't just luck. That's why the Lakers never had a chance. His Ego won't allow him to be 3rd fiddle to LJ and AD.
                              He was born, raised and went to college in southern California. I see it more of a homecoming than ego.

Comment

Working...
                              X