No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Southern Miss Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just thinking our student section could start using the “you still suck” on our own team after we hit free throws

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be, “we still suck!”

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      lmao! You don't post enough recently. hahahah

• 63520933.jpg
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
      I was just thinking our student section could start using the “you still suck” on our own team after we hit free throws

Comment

• Perhaps Any and All Shocker fans who vocally shout out at a game that one or more Shocker players SUCK, should consider watching future games at home on TV.

Is this the level we are sinking to?

Comment

• pinstripers
          pinstripers commented
          Editing a comment
          Lighten up, Francis

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          60Shock ... they were being sarcastic.

• I don’t know I thought it was pretty funny. If it makes you feel any better it was my wife that said it and I had to bring it here. So really she is the one you should be mad at and I wouldn’t recommend it based on experience :)

Comment

• Back at the Ranch...The SHOX did manage to move up 9 positions to #132 in the NET rankings.

Comment

• Here's the deal. This young team of Shocks is 6-4. Coach Marshall reminds us that each game we play will be an adventure and a mixed bag of peaks and valleys in many if not most all the games. The AAC will start off with 4 super tough bouts at least. So do we think we are about where we thought we would be at this juncture? I thought we might get 20 wins this Season, but now after watching 10 games, could it be closer to 16-18 wins? That depends on several variables and areas of improvement the Shocks are striving to shore up sooner than later.

First of all, is MM leading us in a way that we can survive the AAC Conference to land in the top half of the final standings? He leads our beloved Shocks scoring 18.4 ppg. based on 31.7 minutes per game versus 18.9 last Season with his late start due to injuries. MM has increased his rebounds per game from 3.1 to 5.4 rpg with those extra minutes this Season. Last Season Duff % on FG has slightly dipped from .444 to 429 so far this Season while his 3pt. % has improved from .368 to .339 last Season as well as his FT % increasing from last Season 78.7% so far, compared to .731 last Season. IMO, the AAC teams prolly will not allow MM to average 18.4 ppg. in AAC play, but I sure hope he will. He will need our squad to fill in the blanks for all the extra attention he is sure to receive from our foes. So where will this help come from, or is the Shocker young Calvary ready for all this? MM is tied with ES with 13 steals as team leaders. MM will need lots of assistance and as our young team is planning on stepping up and providing help where it is needed. Will they though? Dunno, but stay tuned as we see what transpires because the AAC will be a war. Even so, the Shocks IMO will land above 8th where they picked us and I wishing and hoping for a top 5 finish.

As a team, overall the Shocks are slightly leading our foes so far in assists, RB, and blocked shots and have a 61-50 surpass on team steals. As already chronicled here on SN, we have to improve our shooting in all categories even though we do have the least experienced team in 3G's tenure here.. Don't get me started on throws, but I must say I checked back clear back to the 2007-2008 Season when the Shocks went 11-20 and it appears all teams back to that point including that team had a better throw average than .651 that we have now. MM and SHJ are shooting throws okay but we are not getting fouled enough and fouling too much. Our opponents have made 161 throws to our 125. Our 3-point shooting at .310 so far and that took me back to that same 11-20 team that only shot .308 as the only Shocker squad that has had such a hard time making 3's. Look for these areas of concern to improve some moving forward and Coach Marshall will whip them into better shape during the holiday practice time before the AAC starts.

In regards to the Shockers to keep improving, look for the Big JE to continue to improve. He is only playing 19.2 MPG, but does have some fouling issues. He has 13 blocks in 10 games and leads our squad easily with 66 rebounds. He is 5-10 on 3-pointers, but I like him hanging out inside much better in 3G's quest to focus establishing our inside first, and then working outside. The closer JE gets to 25 plus minutes per game, the better we will like it IMO. However, Coach must develop all of our bigs stamina per his own words plus get our whole squad playing solid D and fouling less while drawing fouls and making the free throws more. SHJ leads us with 34 assists and has 22 TO's and I don't mean time outs. It has said every rose has its thorns, so we hope SHJ keeps improving all Season long and I sure like his overall performances better than last Season. Another player that shows promise and should keep improving all Season is ES. I'm hoping DD is okay and able to play soon and his upside and rebounding are impressive. Torres has had his shooting woes, but passes well and was keeping turnovers as rare as pulling hens teeth, until the last few games. I just know his overall game and shooting will also improve.

Yes, there are some other players that the jury is still not out on, and we know Coach Marshall will give each of them chances to fit in and help the Shocks in our rotation. Burton, Udeze, Brown, AM, and Poor Bear will keep fighting for playing time and look for at least 2-3 of these players to emerge as the Season marches on. We still have 2 Non-Con games that we might end up in a split, but winning both would be a great jump start into the AAC. So yes, we took quite the thumping from the Sooners, and we want no more of that later. We have blown some leads and hung on for the cardiac wins. We could of, maybe should of won 2 games we lost, but our shooting woes and inexperience stung us somewhat. Of course we believe with Teddy Allen we would have beat their socks off,
          "but this is our squad", as mentioned early on in the Hoosier movie. So double up on the seat belts because the Shocks are going to take us on what we hope is a joy ride but at times could make us emotional wrecks with laughing and crying, and pulling our hair out for those that have some to pull, all in the same game, maybe many games. Even so, fight our beloved Shocks will do, to the bloody end, and as Shocker fans, we will stick to them like super glue through thick or thin, knowing both could occur often. Well, enough of my unsolicited opinions, but that is part of what we do on SN.
          Last edited by forevershockerfan; December 17, 2018, 01:14 AM.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            He’s back!

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            Reading this wall-o-text on my phone is awe-inspiring. I'm gonna search through it for traces of the bible code.

T

...:cool:

• When this collection of individuals starts to play as a team, you will see the growth look like the S&P chart from 2009 - mid-2018. Until they learn to share the ball and play together, its going to look quite ugly. The fast breaks are just the tip of the iceberg.
          -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
            Reading the comments around here, you'd think we lost.
            Apparently the fans aren't the only ones.

“We won the game, but it doesn’t feel like a win the way we played,” Marshall said.

Comment

• Not saying this about our team necessarily but is there any correlation between the stars getting higher in recruiting and the aptitude test scores getting lower? Is it possible that a coach who is used to recruiting high IQ players with lower stars would have to adjust his coaching a little bit as the stars go up? Maybe dare I say possibly simplify the system to accommodate the higher athletic ability but lower IQ? Asking for a friend. This should be fun...

Comment

• The positive is that we built a large 17 point lead again and the negative is that we couldn’t hold onto that our lead. A good team would have built on that large lead. Each of our players has some basketball warts in their game. Even players who I thought were solid IQ guys like JB, ES, and RT who are not great offensive players (not ES) displayed some IQ warts for all to see. For these players, it may be that will be smarter when they become Juniors. Hopefully Etienne is as high IQ as he seems. A really good team has to have guards with high IQs.

Comment

• With the numbers of young and new players to the team, it probably only takes 2 out of the 5 players on the court to not exactly "get it" or properly adjust to make all the players look out of kilter. Players not positioning or moving properly can make PGs not look as good as they are actually able. It doesn't help that our 2 seniors are not floor generals and try to do too much, but this is maybe because plays break down too often. Not having deep solid shooting depth, also fouls things up.

It also seems that when this team clicks, it does quite well. We've built a number of big leads. Likewise, when their confidence is shaken a little, it ends up getting shaken a lot.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not only shaken but stirred as well.

• Really thought my friend would get roasted a lot harder than that.

Comment

• ooops, on the book I wrote earlier, I forgot an interesting stat. Even though the Shocks are only shooting .310 % on 3's, we have made 74 and our foes have made 74 in 10 games.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• game10.JPG
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                  X