No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Southern Miss Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations after ten games. The strength of the team is defense when it doesn't let down but it tends
    to let down with a lead. We have a chemistry issue on offense and unfortunately it stems from the play of
    our two seniors who both look to shoot first and / or create something for themselves and look to pass or
    keep the ball moving as a last resort. When the ball moves around the perimeter quickly it creates better
    shots both inside and out with the result is a better team shooting percentage. Two biggest issues
    going forward are sustaining defensive intensity longer and improving chemistry on offense and the two
    seniors have to understand and lead in these important areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
      I simply do not understand the lack of basketball IQ of this team. Even if we have not prepared for the zone for this game the remedy is always the same. If MM is in the game go to effing free throw line to take the pass with option to shoot or pass. Option 1. If MM is not in the game R Brown or JB can take the pass at the free throw line. A good point guard or team should know this. It's not like we haven't played against a zone this year. WTF

A. Burton nor Brown can’t make that shot if given which they would be—unless you’ve seen something different in practice
      B. We are not a good team
      C. Last year when Markis caught that pass he had four seniors, an OU transfer and an NBA first rounder playing with him. They wouldn’t sag off on him this year and I’m not sure how good of a passer you think he is and how good of a receiver our other players are
      D. Coaches thought the 5 should catch the ball out too which is the other way to attack that zone. If it’s JE it’s the sensible play, if not Morris doesn’t have that shot in his repertoire so it’s not a good play
      E. Did I mention we are not a good team?
      F. Why don’t our players bunt more?
      G. Dex has worked into that small 4 spot in practice but he wasn’t around if we were to switch from 5 high to 4 high.
      H. It all sounds wonderfully simple until you really look at our skill level to execute
      I. If you think Gregg Marshall doesn’t know how to attack a zone, go watch a practice or one of his coaching videos. Or ask Chris Jans, Steve Forbes or Earl Grant what they think.
      J. AAU Ball has hurt the 3G system of having a coach on the floor. We will have one next year.
      K. Did I mention we are not good?
      Last edited by shoxlax; December 16, 2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• TheShocktocles
        TheShocktocles commented
        Editing a comment
        Roderick Brown is a great midrange shooter. Look at his high school videos. In fact thats all he did. He is not a 3 point shooter. But look his free throw percentage on this team. It shows he can shoot the midrange shot. So can JB. When we go to make that pass at the free throw line We have to have guys that can hit that shot. Those two can. Look at JB free throw percentage. And I didn't say Coach did not know how to attack the zone. If your going to quote me than read the effing qoute. I said our players should have known how to attack that zone and failed to put the right people in the middle to recive the pass.and did not do so in this game.

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      I repeat that the low attendance can entirely be blamed on the price structure. You CANNOT charge the same prices for Southern Miss that you did the past two years against OSU and OU. That’s just arrogant to take your fan base for granted like that. The entire upper level should have been $10. If that happens and a similar turnout appears, then you can call out the bandwagoners.
      Didn’t they do that a few years ago with a groupon or something? Did it help the attendance? I honestly don’t remember.

Completely agree with you though.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
        Woke up this morning thinking I might feel different about last night win, I was wrong. I am still disgusted. Haven't been this angry about a win since last year win over UCF in Orlando. That's when I realized that those shockers were not going to do much in the NCAA tournament. It was the same formula. MM missing 2 free throws with 3 point lead with 15 seconds in the game. UCF shoots a bad 3 pointer we don't rebound and they throw up a 35 ft shot off the glass to send the game into overtime. We win in overtime but it did not feel like a win. Yeah it's the same feeling.

​​​​​​ Can anybody imagine what shocker fans would feel like if that kid had hit that 3 point shot and smj fouls and they win on a 4 point play? Just so DUMB to foul. The next shocker player that fouls a 3 point shooter should be benched for 2 games and hang a sign on his jersey saying I am DUMB. And the shocks shot 52% from the free throw line last night. They missed 4 free throws in the last minute of the game. WTF So many chances to close the game out and simply don't do it. I guess these type of errors is what caused Coach to say if we don't improve we will not win a conference game. These mistakes are correctable but they should not be happening 10 games into the season.

Shocker fans are not used to this type of continuous low basketball IQ mental errors. I am sure even loyal shocker fans might not want to see that kind of play in person. Thus some may stay home and watch in agony.
        What exactly did this add that you didn’t say yesterday?
        Im just messing with you. Everybody is doing the same thing.

Last edited by shoxlax; December 16, 2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
          38% from the field, 28% from the arch, 52% from the line...thank goodness we played Southern Miss.

We did win the rebounding battle 48-31, but committed 16 TO's to 10...thank goodness we played Southern Miss.
          58.8% on 10 of 17 LAYUPs. But 100% 4 of 4 on DUNKs. Combined, that's 66.6%, 14 of 21 from less than two-feet. Only MM's were maybe really challenged and he was 0-3 on LAYUPs, but did have a dunk. So the rest of the team was 13 of 17 combined LAYUP and DUNK, a surprising 76.5% masterpiece.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
            I’ll ask again. Where was Chandler?
            Gregg stated in Monday's coaches show that he was not happy with Chandler's play in the Jacksonville State game. As long as it took IPBC to get off the bench this season I suspect he had a very short leash. His defense is not good. His rebounding is not good. He's 1 for 7 from the field. I still think he might be JT Durley reincarnate. Kid has potential, just don't think he's ready to meet Gregg's expectations.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
              38% from the field, 28% from the arch, 52% from the line...thank goodness we played Southern Miss.

We did win the rebounding battle 48-31, but committed 16 TO's to 10...thank goodness we played Southern Miss.
              Our season averages are 40% and 31%. 38 and 28 is now "normal".
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• It seems that our Seniors think that showing leadership means they need to shoot more than the freshmen

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

A. Burton nor Brown can’t make that shot if given which they would be—unless you’ve seen something different in practice
                  B. We are not a good team
                  C. Last year when Markis caught that pass he had for seniors, an OU transfer and an NBA first rounder playing with him. They wouldn’t sag off on him this year and I’m not sure how good of a passer you think he is and how good of a receiver our other players are
                  D. Coaches thought the 5 should catch the ball out too which is the other way to attack that zone. If it’s JE it’s the sensible play, if not Morris doesn’t have that shot in his repertoire so it’s not a good play
                  E. Did I mention we are not a good team?
                  F. Why don’t our players bunt more?
                  G. Dex has worked into that small 4 spot in practice but he wasn’t around if we were to switch from 5 high to 4 high.
                  H. It all sounds wonderfully simple until you really look at our skill level to execute
                  I. If you think Gregg Marshall doesn’t know how to attack a zone, go watch a practice or one of his coaching videos. Or ask Chris Jans, Steve Forbes or Earl Grant what they think.
                  J. AAU Ball has hurt the 3G system of having a coach on the floor. We will have one next year.
                  K. Did I mention we are not good?
                  Lax,
                  1) We are not a good team - agreed!
                  2) HCGM does know how to attack zone. No question about it. However, his knowledge is not being received and transferred to the floor - and that's on him! It's what he gets paid a large quantity of dead Presidents to do.
                  3) Totally agree with the AAU ball assessment. It has done a lot of harm to the collegiate way of doing things. However, it is what it is and not about to change.
                  4) We will have one next year - and truly is the real deal.

Say what some may about ES, but I wouldn't take him off the floor unless he is calling for oxygen. He is the type that has an off night game, but still hits the big trey, knocks down his FT's, out leaps and slaps back the missed free throw for a crucial late game possession - all in crunch time. He is a stud.

That is all.
                  Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• proshox
                    proshox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We used to have three or four of these guys on the floor.... i guess that trait doesn’t grow on trees.

• 1979Shocker
                    1979Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Of course, if ES was hitting shots earlier in the game, we wouldn't have needed him to hit the "big trey."

• Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                    Is the update only the picture?
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Any word on why Chance Moore wasn’t even on the bench?

Comment

• Shock Top
                        Shock Top commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Who?

• That was a brutal fall on the head by Dexter. My son and I jumped out of our seats. Sure hope he's gonna be okay. I read a concussion...but that type of head collision may have some lingering effects as to his "want to go to rim for a rebound" thoughts. Eee-gawds.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• pinstripers
                        pinstripers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Prolly not the first time he's been undercut

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      Observations after ten games. The strength of the team is defense when it doesn't let down but it tends
                      to let down with a lead. We have a chemistry issue on offense and unfortunately it stems from the play of
                      our two seniors who both look to shoot first and / or create something for themselves and look to pass or
                      keep the ball moving as a last resort. When the ball moves around the perimeter quickly it creates better
                      shots both inside and out with the result is a better team shooting percentage. Two biggest issues
                      going forward are sustaining defensive intensity longer and improving chemistry on offense and the two
                      seniors have to understand and lead in these important areas.
                      I agree with you. I'm slightly concerned because that seems like an issue that could be fixed pretty easily by the coach. I'm not sure that's happening. Unfortunately, I think Marshall is telling them both to carry the load. I hope not. But there sure seems to be little to no adjustment from the first game to now in that department. The two seniors are taking the majority of the shots. And unfortunately, they aren't good shooters and take horrible shots. Bad formula.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Is the update only the picture?
                        https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/s...thread%2Fpage5

Dex posted the following below the picture:
                        Thank you all for your concerns but I will be fine. God makes no mistakes.
                        If you click on the picture you can see it.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 16, 2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X