Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think SHJ should start or be benched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you have to do to understand our players lack of confidence to step up is to look at our press offense, especially in the 2nd half. It appears as if our entire is unsure and instead of attacking, they are tentative and maybe scared of making a mistake. No one is willing to step up where last year we would have burned that press time and time again with 3 on 2 or 3 on1 scoring plays.

Comment

To those who might refer to jones as the point. He is the shooting guard. Right now Torres and burton share duties at point

Comment

That's a great point, Shockm. I don't understand why we didn't punish them on those 3 on 2 and 2 on 1 fast breaks. If we attack and score on those, they think twice about pressing. I'm sure the hesitancy the Shox are showing is due to the learning curve, but at the end of the day, basketball is basketball. We were letting them get back and get organized defensively.

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          there were 2 fast break situations where Dexter Dennis decided to bull rush into 2 defenders rather than toss it over to his wide open teammate. I'm sure 3G is grilling him on this today. We just don't play smart basketball a lot of the time.

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          "a lot of the time"...

https://media.giphy.com/media/wWue0rCDOphOE/giphy.gif

When SHJ fell down while dribbling, I muttered "Jesus". Several fans sitting near me turned and nodded their heads.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          The F-bombs were being thrown in our section.

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          Poor lil' bastard.

T

...:cool:

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Wrong. Jesus NEVER fell down while dribbling a basketball. Never.

What's with all the SHJ vitriol? Nothing SHJ has done deserves the criticism some fans throw his way. He is what he is, a great JUCO ball player and at best, a sometimes above average D1 player. The root cause of the heartburn is the coaching staff who evaluated and recruited him to Wichita State. HCGM and staff are not unlike what Bill Snyder and his coaches do at K-State. They don't get 4 or 5 star players but find diamonds in the rough and coach them up to be great team players. They miss a lot more than they hit, but those that shine makes the team a winner. Jordy Nelson, Darren Sproles, Tyler Lockett, Colin Klein, etc all escalated KSU football during their playing years. WSU is similar in basketball, our staff has caught lightning in a bottle with some players for some key stretches but this year, our incoming freshman and juco transfers haven't panned out as expected - at least not yet. You could see Baker and VanVleet early on would be great players simply with their IQ they exhibited on the court along with consistent flashes of skill, not to mention their bulldog mentality.

Perhaps Poor Bear or Udeze will be future JT Durleys. Perhaps ES will be a future RB? 4 years ago Butler Bulldogs finished 14-17 and now they're perennial 20 plus game winners again. I haven't lost faith, but I will say....................this year is going to suck donkey *$!@

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome aboard the SHJ love train this is your captain speaking! All campaign contributions are fully tax deductible.

T

Uhhhh. We are perennial 20 game winners. Sheesh. You guys are amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
          What's with all the SHJ vitriol? Nothing SHJ has done deserves the criticism some fans throw his way. He is what he is, a great JUCO ball player and at best, a sometimes above average D1 player. The root cause of the heartburn is the coaching staff who evaluated and recruited him to Wichita State. HCGM and staff are not unlike what Bill Snyder and his coaches do at K-State. They don't get 4 or 5 star players but find diamonds in the rough and coach them up to be great team players. They miss a lot more than they hit, but those that shine makes the team a winner. Jordy Nelson, Darren Sproles, Tyler Lockett, Colin Klein, etc all escalated KSU football during their playing years. WSU is similar in basketball, our staff has caught lightning in a bottle with some players for some key stretches but this year, our incoming freshman and juco transfers haven't panned out as expected - at least not yet. You could see Baker and VanVleet early on would be great players simply with their IQ they exhibited on the court along with consistent flashes of skill, not to mention their bulldog mentality.

Perhaps Poor Bear or Udeze will be future JT Durleys. Perhaps ES will be a future RB? 4 years ago Butler Bulldogs finished 14-17 and now they're perennial 20 plus game winners again. I haven't lost faith, but I will say....................this year is going to suck donkey *$!@
          This is rich coming from you.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
            C0|dB|00ded commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a movement 'Fever, unlike any we've seen before. Plenty of time to hop on board. Don't fight it. We're gonna ride the little lightening man to victory on a rainbow of love.

T

HCGM plays SHJ. He doesn't have to. In fact he plays him a lot. I'll trust HCGM's player evaluations over a bunch of bumptious internet "coaches". Thx

Comment

Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
            HCGM plays SHJ. He doesn't have to. In fact he plays him a lot. I'll trust HCGM's player evaluations over a bunch of bumptious internet "coaches". Thx
            Good use of the word 'bumptious'...love it....:)

Comment

To the 'I trust coach' crowd: Coach plays SHJ because he has no better options, not because all of us 'internet coaches' are completely wrong on assessing SHJ's talents. As has been said, SHJ is what he is. And unfortunately he is this team's best option to play minutes at the guard spots right now. SHJ has his nights, just look at the 1st half against Baylor. He also has his bad nights, which seem to be anytime he sees 'OU' on a jersey. Samajae & Markis are both perfect role guys. It has been thrown around that SHJ is a perfect 6th man, which I would agree. They just aren't quite good enough to carry an entire team by themselves. That doesn't make them bad players, anyone that can get a lot of minutes on a top 100(ish) team is a damn fine player. They just, are what they are. Which is not quite good enough to sustain the success of the last few years.

This fan base just isn't used to this level of ineptitude, 7 straight post seasons... been a while since we've had to watch a WSU team struggle.
              -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                Shocktoberfest commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. And not just 7 straight post-seasons. 7 straight NCAA tournaments. Pretty stinking impressive.

• pie n eye
                pie n eye commented
                Editing a comment
                I think saying it’s been a while since we’ve had to watch the team struggle is a bit of revisionist history. And I feel like there is a lot of that going on around here lately. Sure, we’ve had above average to great teams even going back to the Turgeon era. But it hasn’t always been easy or pretty to watch, even in games we won.

• Slalomshocker
                Slalomshocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't argue with that @Pie. There have been struggles along the way. There is definitely a recency bias for sure. But, that same recency bias is what recruits see. Time will tell how this particular challenge ends. I would not be shocked if this team puts it together by the end of the year and has a chance to make a run in the conference tournament. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were to get smacked around in conference play and have little to no confidence by years end. Likeliest of scenarios is it falls somewhere in between. All I can say right now is there is some individual talent on the floor, we'll see where it leads.

It's frustrating to go through this but all teams do. I always think about the 2013 Kentucky Wildcats. Defending Nat'l Champs that got beat in the 1st round NIT by Robert Morris. They probably had 4 or 5 future NBA players on the roster to boot. It happens to everyone at some point.

Comment

It hardly happens to Duke... Worst finish is an "upset" in the first round of Big Dance

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That just means they’re due at some point. I’ll bet the fans have been incredibly frustrated at some of their seasons though. Everyone has a different bar.

Edit: in 2007 they finished 22-11 and were beat in the 1st round NCAA. We’re not Duke though.

Gregg Marshall hasn't had a team finish below 100th in KenPom since 2008-09 when they finished 17-17 (8-10) in a 1 bid MVC, and that team made the CBI.

Comment

• choida
                  choida commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well this year's team really wants to break that record it seems

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really??

Bench him. Too inconsistent. Shox have other options. Not to say he shouldn't play, but not starting.

Comment

No. He drives me nuts.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                  X