Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think SHJ should start or be benched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of having a sniper come off the bench once the starters are worn out, or the opposition's 2nd unit comes in. Samaje would be much more effective to come in at this time and "do his thing". Nothing wrong with this concept, nor does it demean his importance to the team.

Comment

• Snapshot99
      Snapshot99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Anybody that think that Torres can't shoot should go watch the highlight video of him in the recruiting forum. He looked terrific in it. Don't know what his problem is, going to D1 ball can be hard for some guys. I think he will find his shot before long.

• Dark Lord
      Dark Lord commented
      Editing a comment
      In what world would Samajae be considered a sniper?

Does anybody have any clue as to whether Torres is shooting well in practice, but not games? Or is he just in a total shooting funk? Is he working on shooting before/after practices?
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• IndianaShocker
      IndianaShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      #1) & #2) - No clue
      #3) - Without question. Zero chance he touches the court if he were not. Can you imagine...his career % projected him to be a B/B- shooter this season. Likely 3G and staff expected as much. Instead he's 0 for the season, never works on his shot outside of the mandated team practices, etc. Pretty confident that wouldn't fly. If that were even remotely the case no way he would be getting minutes ahead of some talented youngsters

IMO SHJ does not have the skill/mind set to run a team. He is an undersized, extremely fast 2 guard. Give the ball to Ricky, who has the potential to make players around him better. Use SHJ as a scoring threat off the bench, ala Jamal Crawford, or the point against teams with less athletic guards who can’t get in front of him.

Comment

I like it when SHJ breaks ankles with his crossover and then drains a three. I like it when SHJ drives to the basket and then dishes the ball off to the open man. If he would just alternate between those two strategies every time down the court he would be a star.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        We don't agree on many things sir, but on this comment you are spot on. Have a like.

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        Just know that when we disagree you are wrong and all will be well.

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

But, there can only be five starters. WSU has had some pretty slaty sixth men who have started occasionally, but seemed to perform better coming off the bench. Why are you so hurt that someone might suggest that that might be the case wuith SHJ? All 17 guys are on our team, but only five start.
      Because the question said BE BENCHED.....not COME OFF the bench...huge difference....

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Because the question said BE BENCHED.....not COME OFF the bench...huge difference....
        It was "benched" vs. "starting." Maybe if you really stretch it and say that since one option reads "bench him but make him the 6th man," then the "bench him" option means no playing time, but what about the 7th-10th or 7th - 15th man? Guess there is room for interpretation, but IMHO, that's a very long streeeeeeeeeeeetch.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

SHJ is inconsistent, but he's a credible threat, so defenses have to play him honestly and respect both the drive and the ability to knock down a shot, at least when he's not forcing it. Compare that to how defenses play Jamarius--they play way off him because he hasn't shown he's a credible threat to shoot, just to drive. Ricky hasn't shown either of those skills yet, so he doesn't open up anything. SHJ's skill set SHOULD be opening up other options, even if just by degrees, and maybe it is. But this is where the point guard problem comes in. He's not one, so he can't identify or capitalize on those opportunities other than the occasional drive and dish, and nobody else seems to be able to either. So SHJ may actually be helping the team by forcing defenses to cover him, but we aren't able to take advantage of it. If he or anyone else could learn to throw an entry pass (and if our bigs could learn to post up in position), or if we could get enough motion in the offense to force quick (and sometimes erroneous) decisions by the defense, SHJ would be able to take good shots, not forced ones.

Because he's not able to play the point well, the offense doesn't run smoothly when he's in. But since nobody else plays the point especially well either, the offense also doesn't run smoothly when he's NOT in. And since we need points, we have to look for someone who can create a shot, and that turns out to be him. It's not a good situation, but I don't know that short-term it helps if he sits. Long-term, maybe it does. Coach has to make the decision when development takes precedence over giving the best chance to win the current game. That's a tough thing to do when you're used to winning 25-30 games every year.

Comment

In a "normal" year I'd like to see SHJ come off the bench to ignite some energy and speed up the game a bit. BUT this year is far from normal with a gazillion Freshmen and new guys...so right now he's our best option until Torres finds his shot and learns how to get in the lane for a kick-out or pass to the post.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

My suspicion is GGG starting lineup is what he believes gives WSU the best chance of winning. His job is to win games, he doesn’t get any bonuses or higher draft picks for losing or writing off a year as “lost”. I would hope his ultimate goal is regardless if his team record is today is by the end of the season to be NCAA team (whether having it all come together during conference play or winning the tournament).

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                3G.also is not afraid to change things up. Remember the Conner Frankamp point guard experiment? How long did it take him to realize Conner is a not a point guard?

Moving SHJ from the 1 to the 2 does not necessarily solve his problems.
              1) Before the last 2 games, SHJ had a 2.27/1 assists to turnover ratio. That may not be what we're use to, but it's not bad either.
              2) There are 40 minutes required of someone to play the PG per game. RT is playing 21-25 mpg recently and has never played more than 25 so far. ES is not a PG and was not recruited as a combo. JB can play the point, but he plays it more like someone who trying to not mess up and eat up some minutes rather than being more assertive and a playmaker. Seems to me to be a pick your poison situation.
              3) So far, we have only 5 guys who can shoot the 3. One is a center. That leaves 4 guys for 3 positions. If RT or JB are in, we have to have the other 2 spots with shooters. And if RT and JB cannot be any more effective at scoring themselves, how many minutes can a team afford to have them out there.
              4) At this time, the only players at the 1-3 who could take on more time are ES and DD and they are both 2/3s.

Comment

Not sure it makes much difference whether he starts or comes off the bench. How much he plays and in what role he takes should be dictated by how he performs in practice and especially in games. Unfortunately, it's not like anyone else is exactly playing lights out lately. I guess a lot depends on when you want to start focusing on next year and beyond.

Comment

Guess I'll chime in again. First, and most important, is that many are forgetting the defensive end. Second,
                  Baker was not recruited as a combo guard either. I truly wish that the light comes on for SHJ as far
                  understanding the role of a PG because he has such GREAT quickness - he just needs to be able to use it
                  to benefit the team rather than just creating for himself. Maybe GM can get that through to him soon. I genuinely
                  hope so ! I continue to believe he is too small for a two guard especially on defense. His strongest asset is
                  is speed/quickness which needs to be used at point if he can just apply it correctly. In no way do I think this is
                  a "lost season" I believe every game we have left is a winnable game and I will watch every minute rooting
                  for every player to play his best. Just because I am not always on the same page as the coach doesn't mean that
                  I don't appreciate how great he is, has been and will be. Right or wrong I just have my own opinion on various
                  things. Bottom line - I trust the coach.

Comment

Early on, it seemed like there was a concerted effort to be more patient. Then the JUCO came back out.

He led the scoring effort tonight but he still cost us a lot of points too.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

He did not play a perfect game but we lose if SHJ doesn’t show up. We need to accept him for what he is. Haters need to lighten up a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post
                        He did not play a perfect game but we lose if SHJ doesn’t show up. We need to accept him for what he is. Haters need to lighten up a little bit.
                        That would be most of the folks in my section............did not realize that until tonight

Comment

Working...
                        X