Wichita State vs. Jacksonville State Pregame Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. Jacksonville State Pregame Thread

After the riot(s) that occured over the weekend, maybe McDuffie and Co. with shut everyone up with a dominating win over ...Jacksonville State? An easy opponent is what some of these guys here need, and hopefully this board will calm down and threads about how Chris Jans needs to leave his head coaching job to be an assistant again and how we lost our edge will stop.

Jacksonville State started 0-3 but has turned it around to 5-3 and is 153 in KenPom. A 15 point win on Wednesday is in the cards and I predict Stevenson shows off for 18 points. Shockers move to 5-4 with an 8-4 record still possible for the non-conference.

8-4 would make me feel...

14666965.jpg
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I admittedly know next to nothing about JSU, but I will be interested to see what kind of offense is run and how we respond if our 3 pointers arent falling. Seems like our two decent wins were due to good 3 pt shooting, but when that isnt working well we cant seem to muster much offense against a team with a pulse.

I'm hoping to see some nice, crisp sets, and some cutting/driving to the lane. I know GM likes the guys to be confident shooters, but I think Torres needs a yellow light on 3 point shots as those have essentially been turnovers at this point. If our post players can avoid eating Orville Redenbachers right before the game, I look forward to more practice entering the ball into the low block and letting them work a little bit.

No predictions - I'm 0-fer and who knows which team will show up. Go Shocks

Comment

My concern is this. We dominate our next three opponents and SHJ / RT look like stars against weaker
        competition masking their true weaknesses. GM then gets a false warm feeling about their abilities and
        it won't be until mid January before he recognizes he has to go with bigger stronger guards to compete
        with the upper half of the AAC. The other scenario, which I suppose could happen, is that the small
        guards get their sh++ together / confidence and elevate their games for the rest of the season. I think
        scenario #1 is more likely but would be happy to be proven wrong. Personally, I don't see this team
        winning 17 games and the more we build toward next season the better and I don't see RT starting next
        season. I'd like to see us go BIG the rest of this year. JB and ES at point. ES and DD at the two guard.
        MM and DD at the three spot. JE/IPBC/MM at the four with MU and AM at the five with the other two bigs
        sprinkled in as necessary. ES, DD, MM, JE and IPBC playing more than one position as necessary. Our
        big guys need more minutes and the little guys less - that is MY thinking. We win the next three either way.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          I see no downside to dominating our next three opponents. I'll take the wins any way we can get 'em. We gotta get our swagger... (notice I didn't say back...)

T

...:cool:

I remember Coach saying we will be a little bigger stronger this year. Thus far...I haven't seen it. Man I miss ShaQ.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• TheShocktocles
          TheShocktocles commented
          Editing a comment
          We are bigger. I don't know about stronger. Our bigs play soft and they don't post up strong. They do not attack the glass for offensive rebounds. I wish it wasn't true but a blind man can see it. Not sure what the remedy is? I am sure Coach will try and fix it.

The Little Jerry's - 69

Eat Mor Chikin - 85

:poster_wu::cowbell::poster_wsu:

Comment

Mark Turgeon's old team 78
          Mark Turgeon's old team 59

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            I remember Coach saying we will be a little bigger stronger this year. Thus far...I haven't seen it. Man I miss ShaQ.
            We are bigger and stronger at the guard positions. Post wise, we don't have the Shaqs which is definitely an offensive deficit, and we don't hit the boards like we did with Shaq and Kelly. We got our dobbers down early in the 2nd half after OU put it to us. We weren't making shots, and it affected our defense. Last year, we had a very good offensive team, and this team doesn't know how to play offense, especially when we start missing shots, and then it affects our defense.

Landry, Conner, and Austin were 45% 3 point shooters. No one on this team will end up above 40%, most below 30%.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how our guys respond after last Saturday. This was the team that beat Alabama in a closed scrimmage right? I know you can't read too much into those scrimmages but at the very least hope our guys don't take them lightly.

JSU has won 5 in a row (albeit not so stellar competition) including 2 in a row on the road. While our guys are recovering from well, you know...

I hope we look to dominate the paint with our bigs first and I hope they crash the boards like there's no tomorrow. You can tell there's so much potential there but yeah, they're too damn finesse. I know that nasty edge is going to come through in them eventually. Big Dawg and X need come talk to these guys.

Comment

I just want any sense of improvement and a W. After Saturday we just need the good medicine that a W provides.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the "old days" a loss was the good medicine for our team. We always bounced back with ferocity. In fact even the media used to comment on how they felt sorry for our upcoming opponent after a loss. Let's see what happens.

T

Losing one of the next three games is not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Landry, Conner, and Austin were 45% 3 point shooters. No one on this team will end up above 40%, most below 30%.
                  Conner hit 44.0% his junior year after shooting 35% as a sophomore and he shot 36.4% last year. Perhaps the size of AAC guards contributing to his senior year drop off. For his career Conner hit 39.1%. Landry was 44.2% last year and 43.7% for his career. Austin shot 50.9% as a freshman although only 55 attempts and 42.5% on 127 attempts as a sophomore (again against the bigger and more athletic guards of the AAC) for a two year average of 45.1%. I remember Conner having a terrible time in his 1st season at WSU especially in front of the home folks.

But you're probably right in that no one will end up over 40% this year. Markis is currently close at 39.6% but who knows if he can sustain that. Dexter is at 38.9% but he has only taken 18 attempts in 8 games. Actually, Jaime is at 50% but on only 10 attempts and 3G will wring his neck if he takes too many. Samajae is at 34.7% and who knows which way that will go but with his shot selection (some impacted by taking a lot of the end of time clock shots) it's hard to see that climbing. Erik hast the most attempts this year but is only hitting 31.4%. The dichotomy with Erik is he is 11-22 (50.0%) in the 3 games at Koch Arena and 5-29 (17.2%) elsewhere. I doubt he will sustain the 50% home shooting but surely he will improve substantially on his road shooting

One thing that strikes me is that the 5 players mentioned above are the only scholarship players to have made a 3 point shot this year. We have 5 scholarship players who have combined for an 0-fer on 26 attempts with only Morris and Asbjorn not taking any 3-point shots and unlikely to do so. The 5 guys who have found the bottom of the net from behind the arc are a combined 36.4% which is not great but okay. But add in the 0-fers and our scholarship layers are shooting 31.7%. Last year we had 10 guys make treys(including 8 who made at least 14) with the team shooting 38.1%.

Hard to believe Ricky leads the way among the 0-fers at 0-16 especially considering he shot 43% from behind the arc last year. It could be the size and athleticism of the competition has him pretty sped up on his perimeter shot and at this point his confidence has to be pretty much shot as well. I don't think anyone was counting on this from Ricky. Ricky is 6-9 from inside the arc.

The competition lightens up over the next 3 games. Maybe a chance to restore some confidence. Of course, that is assuming we really have the ability to shoot any better than we have from distance. Opponents are only shooting 34% from behind the arc against Jacksonville State but I would point out that includes one game against Carver Bible College and a Non-con SOS according to warrennolan.com of 312. Jacksonville is only shooting 30.5% from behind the arc but have averaged 9 fewer attempts than the Shockers.

Jacksonville State has won 5 in a row but those were over (with NCAA NET rankings) Western Carolina (275) and North Florida (187) in Cancun., a 101-61 win over Carver Bible at home, and road wins over North Alabama (329) and Delware State (351). JSU which has a NET ranking of 173 did play Bradley to within 9 points in Peoria. The Shocker's NET ranking is 134.

Time for the Shocks to bet back on the right track. Maybe a little steady home cooking over the next 8 days with a lot of basketball and no schoolwork is what these guys need.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Hard to believe Ricky leads the way among the 0-fers at 0-16 especially considering he shot 43% from behind the arc last year. It could be the size and athleticism of the competition has him pretty sped up on his perimeter shot.."

This is why I was so dismayed when I finally laid eyes on the little man. He - is - little.

I'd rather us never sign a guard shorter than 6'3 (now that Fred has graduated :)). Nobody is asking for my opinion though.

Stevenson is 6'2, SHJ and Torres are less than that. Lomax at 5'10 (who knows what his real height is) made me terribly uneasy.

T

• ShockerFever
                    ShockerFever commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cold, I think you have Todd Butler Disease.

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    C'mon now...

...why you gotta bring Butler into forum.

JINXJINXJINXJINXJINX

P.S. There is a reason or two why tall basketball players are important...

T

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                  Losing one of the next three games is not an option.
                  Gregg Marshall said that if we don't play better than we did against OU we are losing to Jacksonville State.

T

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, you know, as long as he understand where the buck stops.

#FREEASBJORN
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• wusphlash
                    wusphlash commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Why do you assume that?

• im4wsu
                    im4wsu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    wusphlash, maybe because 3G has said it publicly on many occasions, you earn your playing time in practice.

OTOH, I think there are games where AM can be a force, but those will be with bigger, less mobile centers, and more half-court offense tempo teams. JMHO.

• wusphlash
                    wusphlash commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So we can assume 1) that whatever he did pre-season to earn the start in the first game he's no longer doing or 2) the other 3 have become so dominating in practice that he's been overwhelmed.

I invite all to sit down and watch the replays of Baylor and OU and tell me what he did in those games that limited him to 4 minutes total. If you can't stomach the last 60 minutes you really only have to watch two. By the way, two games with teams that had a good supply of bigs. Not teams like LA Tech with 6'6" big men.

My assumption that this has more to do with over recruiting and the need to make room.

Quotables: Gregg Marshall Pre-Jacksonville State

...Jacksonville State:
                  "They've won five in-a-row. We haven't won five in-a-row. I think our longest streak is two and that just ended. Very talented team. On the other end of the experience scale (compared to WSU). They've got fourth and fifth-year seniors. I think, four or five of them in their starting lineup. We're going to be going against a well-coached team. Ray Harper is a tremendous coach. He's done a great job wherever he's been. He came in here one time for a midnight game when he was at Western Kentucky. Before that, he was at Kentucky Wesleyan - - won at least one or two National Championships in Division II. The guy can coach basketball. He's got a veteran club, he's got transfers from Tennessee -- a fifth-year guy. He's got a transfer from Clemson -- starting guard. They are going to be very talented and very scary. They could easily come in here and beat us."

....Jacksonville State's defense, which ranks 13th nationally in steals-per-game:
                  "They play hard. They get right up in you. They're men, grown men... They've got some good players. We're going to have to take care of the ball. We're going to have to pound it inside. We're going to have to try to compete on the glass. Who knows what can happen on Wednesday."

Other comments on:

....the loss to Oklahoma

....the guards' performance

....working the ball around in the offense

....how he hopes the team will respond this week during practice

Comment

Working...
                  X