No announcement yet.

We've lost our edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where’s Cold tonight? Past his bed time?

Comment

• insaneykaney
      insaneykaney commented
      Editing a comment
      He's currently making another thread titled "Perhaps We've Got Our Edge Back...."

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably ran out of tissue.

• AndShock
    WuShock Head Coach
    21 hours ago
    Where’s Cold tonight? Past his bed time?

insaneykaney
    #211.1
    insaneykaney commented
    14 hours ago
    He's currently making another thread titled "Perhaps We've Got Our Edge Back...."
      • Kung Wu
        #211.2
        Kung Wu commented
        13 hours ago
        Probably ran out of tissue.
        • Flag
        • Like-50billion
    Smartasses!

I'm too embarrassed to post. I had previous commitments and wasn't able to attend the game (or watch) therefore I missed the "game of the year" and cannot weigh in. I would appreciate a private link to the game if anybody is tech savvy, generous, and feels the spirit move them. I will give you my private thoughts on the matter as well. ;)

As far as losing, finding, forgetting, reclaiming our edge... I analyze complex problems from a macro vantage point. Ya'll are popping your pickles over one good game. I've seen this pattern of softness forming for a long time. I need to see it dissipate over an equally extended period. I personally had hoped the energy witnessed yesterday would have shown itself at the beginning of the year. I'm ALWAYS thankful when it appears though as it's like visiting an old friend; a friend we haven't seen with consistency since Fred, Ron, and Evan left.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      Never. Not ever, have I seen a player forgotten more often than Cotton. When he was here, fans kept forgetting to put him in projected lineups. Forgetting Cotton was almost iconic.

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      You mean the other guy that should be in the rafters Aargh?

• Notice how I was able to collect all your comments, respond to them all at once, while bumping the thread. I single-handedly reverted the board to an earlier version. Bigly.

T

Comment

• Aargh commented
      11 minutes ago

Never. Not ever, have I seen a player forgotten more often than Cotton. When he was here, fans kept forgetting to put him in projected lineups. Forgetting Cotton was almost iconic.
      I didn't forget Cotton. He was gone a year earlier than Ron and Fred. In fact, I was going to say that we really missed him when he left. But the drop-off with him leaving was nothing like the drop-off when Fred, Ron, and Evan left.

That being said, I could be fairly easily convinced that Tekele is just as important as Fred and Ron with regards to our winning. He erased the opposition's best player more times than I could count. That doesn't happen anymore.

T

Comment

• Aargh
        Aargh commented
        Editing a comment
        "Tekele, you got Pangos. He's gonna have a fun night".

One of my favorite quotes of all time for its' accuracy, simplicity, and the fact that was all the pep talk Cotton needed (if he needed that much) to make the prophecy come true. Although "fun night" described Pangos game from the Shocker perspective, not the Zags perspective
        Last edited by Aargh; January 18, 2019, 01:24 AM.

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        What kind of drop-off?
        Cotton's senior year: 30-5/17-1, MVC regular season champion, S16.
        FVV, Baker, Wessel senior year: 26-9/16-2, MVC regular season champion, R32.
        Following year: 31-5/17-1, MVC regular season and MVC tournament champion, R32.

Now I know that part of that 15-16 season record was due to injuries, but then again, how valuable would Cotton have been that year during those injuries? Shamet not getting a season ending injury would have had an impact, but I also remember his Tulsa game before the injury.

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        I think everybody (with finely tuned Shocker sensors) noticed a drop-off when Cotton left. We made the dance by the skin of our teeth. Sure Fred was injured but... we had much less margin for error without Tekele.

T

• Tekele was like a black hole that the opponents leading scorer could not escape from. He just completely erased one player on the opposing team.
      Go Shocks!

Comment

• Samaje for MVP this season

Comment

• pinstripers
          pinstripers commented
          Editing a comment
          Pardon me?

• In before Cold bumps it.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• After the UCF win, I said this team takes one step forward and two steps back. After tonight, we’re due to take a step forward.

Comment

• BostonWu
            BostonWu commented
            Editing a comment
            We'll find out Saturday where this team's psyche is.

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the Shocks will bounce back Saturday. Perhaps that is more of a hope than an expectation. The Shocks may not win but I think they will play better. Hard to imagine them playing any worse than they did against USF.

• I'm now getting a bit closer to calling this season an unrelated disaster to the weakness that was evident last year. The smart money is still likely on the leadership carrying the lion's share of the 2-year downturn in one way or the other, but the tea leaves CB's been reading, at the 2nd derivative, are indicating another possible reality.

Marshall has earned the right to have the full faith of the fanbase up to this point and unto the end of the season. If we are at this same level next year though... fans should prepare themselves for major changes.

T

Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; January 28, 2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• I'm not convinced that Morris ever "bought in".
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• N Crestway
              N Crestway commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure he would if Marshall was serving 9 Lives... tuna and chicken would put the old sparkle back in his eyes.

• Saw some very special stuff the last 8 minutes of the Tulsa game. There was desperation and the smell of burning hair. What's really exciting was the way we increased our intensity to close out the game. That was Shocker basketball.

T

Comment

• choida
              choida commented
              Editing a comment
              Let's build on this and beat some Cincinnati and Houston teams

• Yes it was. But coach Haith handed it to us the last 8 minutes. Easy-capese. Marshall and the youngins were ALL OVER IT!!!! Even if they didn't know it at time.

However...much needed "kill shot". Was commonplace a couple years ago in the MVC. Gregg see's this. Easy-capese...
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• In conference play Jamarius Burton is averaging 7.6 ppg, 3.2 apg, and 3.1 rpg. He’s shooting 49/50/90 on FG/3/FT.

That’s solid stuff from a freshman!
              Last edited by wufan; February 3, 2019, 08:35 AM.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                In conference play JAMARIUS BURTON is averaging 7.6 ppg, 3.2 apg, and 3.1 rpg. He’s shooting 49/50/90 on FG/3/FT.

That’s solid stuff from a freshman!
                Fixed it for you. - https://goshockers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3705

Comment

• wufan
                  wufan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. My phone doesn’t like “Jamarius”

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for posting his bio; definitely a basketball pedigree.

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks from me as well. Don't know why I didn't looked there first instead of different newspaper articles. I want to amend my earlier comments about JB to say that his team won the state championship. When a paper article said "he led his team the state championship finals and was named MVP of the tournament" instead of "he led his team to the state championship and was named MVP of the tournament" I assumed that meant that they lost in the finals. Either way, that's quite the accomplishment.

• Jamarius has improved each game. At the start his play looked loose and a little sloppy. Now he looks loose but confident. He is a big physical point

Comment

Working...
                X