No announcement yet.

We've lost our edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just a little worried about the chemistry on this team. I think it's obvious there were problems last year, and I'm concerned this year too. I noticed that Markis made a free throw and only Samajae went up to give him the typical hand slap. The mutual love and support among our players used to be evident; just wondering if there are personality issues. etc.
    "Long wave the Yellow and the Black..."

Comment

The ball has to move around the perimeter AND inside out to spread the court and to make the defense
      work. When our post players do make good moves and don't get rewarded they are less likely to do it again.
      When players move without the ball to get open and/or make a sharp back door cut and don't get the
      ball then they are less likely to do it again. Our lack of an effective post up game and the lack of
      successful back door plays are sure indicators that something is wrong regardless of talent level. Look at
      really good teams and they do both well. All five players have to see the court, move without the ball and
      keep the ball moving around the perimeter, as well as, inside out. One or two players trying to create for
      themselves boggs this process and the offense down.

Comment

I don't see this as anything but a young, inexperienced team lacking an understanding of what it takes to succeed at the next level. It may not work itself out this year to allow a "successful" season, but I'm not worried for the long term. This year may be bad turbulance, but the flight path still looks strong.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          The ball has to move around the perimeter AND inside out to spread the court and to make the defense
          work. When our post players do make good moves and don't get rewarded they are less likely to do it again.
          When players move without the ball to get open and/or make a sharp back door cut and don't get the
          ball then they are less likely to do it again. Our lack of an effective post up game and the lack of
          successful back door plays are sure indicators that something is wrong regardless of talent level. Look at
          really good teams and they do both well. All five players have to see the court, move without the ball and
          keep the ball moving around the perimeter, as well as, inside out. One or two players trying to create for
          themselves boggs this process and the offense down.
          We tried ALOT to get the ball into the post Saturday. Most of them ended up in turnovers. Either due to someone fumbling the ball, a bad pass, a shot getting blocked or someone shooting it into the bottom of the goal.

There is a lot to work on but I don't think its a lack of trying for the right plays. They just didn't execute those Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Husker4Shockers View Post
            I'm just a little worried about the chemistry on this team. I think it's obvious there were problems last year, and I'm concerned this year too. I noticed that Markis made a free throw and only Samajae went up to give him the typical hand slap. The mutual love and support among our players used to be evident; just wondering if there are personality issues. etc.
            I believe these kids are shell shocked. When do you think the last time was any of them played on a .500 team, faced a 2nd half barrage like Baylor, or took a beatdown like OU.

Hopefully, their eyes are more open to the reality of who they are (young and unexperienced) and they can man-up to who they can be by hard work, great effort, and a desire to learn. None of them, none, are above this or not a part of the problem.

Comment

Time for a little intervention with Big Dawg and X-MAN?!
              The Assman

Comment

I don't think this team has lost its edge. I think this team is still discovering who they are. You can't lose an edge you've never found. I think because of our mix of youth and talent, we can and will look like world beaters one night, and a little boy lost in a huge department store the next. Someday it won't be like this. That's where sound, quality coaching comes in. Cut down on the time it takes to establish an identity, and then walk in it consistently. We have quality coaching, but we haven't given them enough time yet. Be patient, good to great things are on the way!
                "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Comment

Some of you guys are more emotionally unstable than a teenage instagram influencer. Ironically, a good portion of you are the same subset of people who like to throw around the term "snowflake" as a pejorative.

I'd tell you to chill out, but, to be honest, it's quite hilarious to watch. So keep it up; I'm sure it's accomplishing everything you hoped it would.
                  The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't be embarrassed, I had no idea either. I'm not going to inquire as to why rjl is up on all the latest teenage social media trends. Let's just leave that one hanging shall we?

T

...:cool:

• rjl
                    rjl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, let's leave that hanging and continue the thread you started bashing a bunch of teenagers for losing their "edge."

Funny, I didn't mention you by name in my original post, but you sure seem awfully triggered.

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's my boy. :)

I wasn't really bashing the teenagers but I can understand why you wouldn't want to read all my posts. I can be verbose...

T

I'm not totally surprised by the butt kicking... After Baylor... Most the players drank the Kool aid and thought they were better then they really are.

Comment

Here's a happy video for ya'll to heal by. A real tear-jerker. The artist is Freddie V's doppelganger. Or is it the other way around? ;)

T

Comment

I was able to pick up a relatively inexpensive Christmas present for 3G. I think he will greatly appreciate it.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        2 hours after you posted this, how can I be the first to "like" the post. I swear, some people just don't get it (most of the time it's me).

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Maybe it's both of us and I'm afraid you'll have to be second in line.

But hey, as long as 3G likes his gift I'll be happy.

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If he read this thread, I'd think he'd get a kick out of your "gift".

Threads like this one are always fun to visit a year or two later.

Well, fun for everyone but the poster who starts threads like this one, I should say.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                        Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cold, I use to think it was impossible to troll your own fan base. You have proved me wrong, so thanks for setting me straight.

The question remains, though, SHOULD you troll your own fan base?

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LoL. I'm really not trying to troll the fanbase. I truly believe our program has gotten soft. I just do not know the exact source of the problem. It could be a combination of things. I have my suspicions. I wouldn't be bringing this up if I hadn't gone, "WTF?" to myself multiple times over the past 1.25 years. I assure you something has changed. I can't tell if we are evolving or devolving. I can say that in the interim (last 1.25 seasons) we have declined in the toughness/Play Angry category. That is crystal clear.

T

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Glad to know ‘Colds’ train didn’t go completely off the tracks...

https://media.giphy.com/media/vLm1Mzr7mNwWY/giphy.gif

Saw a glimpse of something very special tonight. Also drank heavily so hopefully missed a lot more.

I

Am

Hopeful

Again

T

Comment

A actually shared the company of a flaming ChicKUn Lover tonight. Man that boy was funny. Talked about Self's little fling with a student a couple year's back and how it was covered up. He was happy to admit that the ChicKUn's are cheaters and the NCAA will NOT touch them. I hammered him mercilessly but all in good fun because CB is always good fun. Especially when drowning in Wichita brewed beeeeer.

T

Comment

I wish I could be as upbeat as the rest of you. Don't get me wrong cause I am always excited about watching
                          the team play and never miss a game regardless of how a season is going. On the positive side I really like
                          the way JE is playing lately and I like the teams level of effort most of the time. The easy part of the schedule
                          is now over and were going to find out soon just how good or very average we are. Still lots of question marks
                          for me. How will JE and complimentary centers do against the AAC? Can our small guards compete against
                          AAC level guards? Right now, I'd have to say going .500 in the AAC may be a bar a little too high but I'll
                          enjoy watching the team evolve each and every game.

Comment

Working...
                          X