No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Oklahoma Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We also have to remember that we lost Lomax who decided to stay home,a pure point guard 4-star recruit. That’s a lot of talent we lost at the guard position. Which is one of our big problems

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
      The Shockers are who we thought they were. I can't believe folks actually predicted them winning this game. 9 newcomers to D1 ball and some of ya'll think this team is NIT worthy? Finishing .500 this year will be a huge victory for the Shox.
      I agree with Revenant. No NIT this season. Should be good enough for the NIT next season though. Unfortunately, this season the Shocks are going to act as conference spoilers. Not good enough for the NCAA Tournament or the NIT, but just good enough to eek out a few wins over fellow conference teams that are on the NCAA Tournament bubble, thereby knocking those teams out of contention, and into the NIT. We're about to face some serious hate from the AAC. But hey, look at the bright side; it's not the 1990's.
      :encouragement:
      "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• It is sad about Lomax. Isn’t he basically just playing a back-up bit part up there in Memphis? And they’re in arguably worse shape than we are, thus far. Emotions made that kid make a decision he will regret for the rest of his life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
          We also have to remember that we lost Lomax who decided to stay home,a pure point guard 4-star recruit. That’s a lot of talent we lost at the guard position. Which is one of our big problems
          Lomax has not looked any better for Memphis than Burton has this year for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Lomax has not looked any better for Memphis than Burton has this year for us.
            He would look different if he was in Marshall’s system, you can bank on that.

Comment

• Kentucky lost today to a very average Seton Hall. Their 9 player rotation is made up of 4 - 5 star freshmen, 1 - 4 star freshmen (rated #4 SG), 3 - 5 star sophomores, and 1 - 5 star senior transfer from Stanford for a total of 7 years D-I experience.

Think about that when you consider we're playing with our top 11 players made up of 5 freshmen, 1 RS freshman, 1 sophomore with very little experience, 2 first year Jucos, and 2 seniors, one a Juco, all mostly 3 star players with maybe two 4 stars with a total of 5 years D-I experience.

Comment

• Lomax has been starting for a young Memphis team, I’m sure Marshall would take him in a heartbeat. Turnovers are killing us because we don’t have a real point guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

Our weakest link is a senior. We need to start prepping those future teams ASAP
                  Exactly. Why is a JUCO player getting meaningful minutes? He doesn't help us. He doesn't attempt to pass the ball or run the offense. He's a 30% FG shooter that chucks like he's touching 90%. He scores points because he's a volume shooter. Anybody on our team can score the same amount if they were given the same amount of shot attempts.

If we're playing for the future, the future needs experience and playing time. They can't do much worse and more importantly they'll need this for the next year, 2, and 3 down the road. With SHJ, there's nothing this year and there's definitely nothing next year. Him being our savior and only option is a **** excuse at this point.

0-9 today. Hey wufan, can I get a FG% update on this guy please?

Now listen, I'm not saying SHJ is the only one to blame for today's results. But those that think we need him to win are full of it. We need TEAM players that run TEAM offense. When SHJ is in, it's Hutchinson JUCO ball. Hutch JUCO ain't beating many teams with a pulse.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WUs Your Daddy
                    WUs Your Daddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Couldn’t agree more. People around me at the Baylor game were ecstatic about SHJ’s play and couldn’t understand why I was hanging my head when he was going off. All I could say is that it was bad for our team and in response I got “man, the hate is real.”

He will go off against low-level talent, one-on-one play by a 5’ 10” guy works in that environment, just like it works over lunch at the Y, the problem is that it doesn’t grow the team and it gets it into his head that he is a savior and can do that against actual DI talent. He can’t and he shouldn’t and Marshall should under no circumstances accept it.

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Samaje is an Evansville player. He’s a DJ Balentine and needs to be ina system where he takes 60% of the team shots so he can “get his”.

• I knew this season would be a struggle with all the young and new pieces, but it’s very disappointing to be over 1/4 of the way through the season and not see any noticeable improvement from this group.

There is no way to sugarcoat it. I am trying and trying to put my trust into Marshall and the coaching staff, but there’s honestly not a lot to be excited about at this point in time.

This team will likely go down as the worst offensive team we’ve had since Marshall’s first two years here. I know Marshall’s system is built on defense and rebounding but if you want to win in today’s game you gotta put the ball in the basket. Maybe it will start clicking for these guys soon, but I’m not going to hold my breath based upon what I’ve seen to date.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    The Eagle had a video of 3G and Austin meeting each other in the hand shake line. I should probably just drop it, but it was interesting to see how fast, cold and awkward it was. I guess you can't really expect anything else considering the circumstances, made worse by the lopsided score.

Almost seems Reaves hates his old team, to the point of vindictiveness. Maybe not. Wish it wouldn't have happened this way. Sure would be nice if he was helping lead this team this year.
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Really? I saw love and respect when Austin hugged McDuffie. Any vindictiveness seems, unfortunately so, firmly entrenched amongst some on this board and throughout Shocker Nation.

If Austin Reaves said as much as one word that was derogatory towards WSU in any way, I'd like to see it. Did you expect him to wear a WSU hat on the OU bench? I don't get it. I realize we've been spoiled for a decade or so, but sheesh, some of the responses here.

• Walker
                      Walker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah he seemed to be friendly and cordial to McDuffie and a few others, but the handshake at the end was pretty cold but what else could we expect really? Pretty awkward for them both I imagine.

The whole Reeves thing has me a bit bi-polar. I'm super appreciative for his time here. He was definitely one of my favorite players. Then the irrational fan in me feels that it was kind of a dick move to not only leave after a mass exodus, but also choose a team he knew would be facing his former team. Had he stayed here, he could have really helped this team, and probably gone down as a Shocker great. It is what it is though and I get it. He's a kid that has the right to do what he wants.

Super thankful for the guys we have now. While today was another rough one, I know these guys are winners and will be great eventually.

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                    Lomax has been starting for a young Memphis team, I’m sure Marshall would take him in a heartbeat. Turnovers are killing us because we don’t have a real point guard.
                    Like Memphis isn't having turnover problems? Their top 4 players in assists have a combined 10.2 assists to 9.2 TOs with Lomax the second worst at 2.8 assist - 2.5 TOs.

Comment

• In addition the softest front line I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, we got size but we don't have any men playing in the paint. I am sorry but our front line plays like a pu $$y. When have the shockers under Marshall been out rebounded in a game 52 to 33. When? These guys expect the ball to come to them. They don't go get it. They don't grab with two hands. I watch them fumble ball after ball . I know we're young but they have to play with more passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        The Shocks did hit 13-15 from the line (83.7%) so they didn't stink at absolutely everything.
                        A lot of meaningless free throws with no pressure and nothing on the line today.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No doubt but we didn't stink at shooting free throws today. Maybe that might come in handy at some point down the road when they are meaningful.

• We don’t have a great ball-handling team and creating off the dribble is not our strong suit. We have no presence inside to take the pressure off our offense when the 3s aren’t falling. These long offensive droughts will probably be the norm this year till we find someone besides McDuffie who can score consistently

Comment

• Not sure just what people are expecting of Reaves. Good or bad terms, he left WSU; he's on the bench with his new teammates; his old team just got blown out by his new team; now he has to go through the handshake line which is mostly a lose-lose situation. Quick, little emotion is probably good and most definitely it was awkward.

Comment

Working...
                          X