No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Oklahoma Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well damn, I didn't expect us to win, but I also didn't expect such a lopsided blowout such as was handed to us. Woof. I don't like roller coasters in my advancing age. But I'm not ready to get off of this one. Games don't get easier to speak of from here on out. I have to admit to being really surprised a 3G team would play so, well, uninspired. Seems that only Markis came to play today and at times, the other four guys forgot he was on the court with them. Back to work.

Comment

• Good Lord. That was absolutely pathetic. This Ricky Torres guy unfortunately does nothing out there. Looks to be a deep bench player that shouldn't be getting minutes early in the game. I mean if we're blowing somebody out then yes play him in the waning last seconds.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
        Games don't get easier to speak of from here on out.
        Actually, I think they probably do. Remaining non-con games are Jacksonville State, Southern Miss and ORU at home before finishing the non-con on the road at VCU. Hopefully, the Shocks get back on track in the next 3 hiome games with VCU being a good challenge before starting AAC play.

Oklahoma has a NET ranking of #16. Houston at #18 and Cincy at #31 are the only AAC programs currently in the Top 50.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 8, 2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• I’m sorry, but you have to put this on Marshall and his class management. If several of these freshmen don’t pan out, we’ll be in a hole that will be hard to get out of. By my estimation we need at least three guys to transfer out next year to try to right the ship. Lastly, it was really hard to watch Austin on the other bench while SHJ continues to run around and jack up shots. Yes, we will win some games this year because of him but he is really detrimental to the team both this year and next.

Comment

• SMH for SHJ

Comment

• WUs Your Daddy
              WUs Your Daddy commented
              Editing a comment
              He’s a bad version of James Harden. He hunts his shots and plays terrible defense often going out of his way to avoid contact.

• Don't let the few bright moments SHJ demonstrates disguise the general poor play he exhibits. He still looks like a high level Juco ball player - he is not remotely close to an upper tier D1 point guard. He's really all we have at this point at that position, so we're stuck. Change of topic, while I feel awful for Teddy not getting his waiver, I am happy for the team. Our team WILL be a total 180 from this year's Average Joes. The cream of the team will rise to the top and those guys are going to carry this program back to prominence and Teddy will have not wasted one of his years - this year - on a barely .500 team that has no hopes of making the NIT or NCAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy View Post
              I’m sorry, but you have to put this on Marshall and his class management. If several of these freshmen don’t pan out, we’ll be in a hole that will be hard to get out of. By my estimation we need at least three guys to transfer out next year to try to right the ship. Lastly, it was really hard to watch Austin on the other bench while SHJ continues to run around and jack up shots. Yes, we will win some games this year because of him but he is really detrimental to the team both this year and next.
              If we have Landry, Austin, and Teddy this team looks quite a bit different.

Comment

• 80 - 48 Makes me miss the MVC

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

If we have Landry, Austin, and Teddy this team looks quite a bit different.
                  But we don’t. This is who we are. This is our team. We support them no matter what despite the difficulty. Things should not be at this point. They should not have got to this point. But it is and it did. Stay loyal and keep on Shockin’.

Comment

• AndShock
                    AndShock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree. Just saying it’s hard to blame Marshall when he had to unexpectedly replace 3 players who would be 3 of the 4 best players on the team.

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would say he had to unexpectedly replace 2 players in Landry and Austin. Teddy wasn't here last year so we haven't had to replace him. I doubt the expectation was that Teddy would play this year. My guess is the expectation was the Teddy probably would not be available this year but once he was they decided to take a shot at a waiver to the transfer rules.

The real difficulty was replacing these 2 good players (although some would argue that in Austin's case -- personally I really liked Austins' game) at a time when you were already losing 6 seniors who were all solid contributors including most of our front court experience in Shaq, Darral, Rauno and Rashard. So the Shocks were already losing a lot. Losing 2 more key pieces from the back court really compounded the issue perhaps disproportionalely so.

I don't know how much of an issue losing CJ was but it did add to the challenge of maintaining decent class balance.

The class balance issue will get better but may not be totally resolved until the current class of 8 sophomores-to-be is thinned out and perhaps uses up eligibility. I would expect this group to drop to 6 by next year. OTOH when this group are juniors and seniors we may see a reversal in the pain of watching these young guys develop and enjoy the joy of watching a group of cohesive, experienced basketball players getting it done.

That said I think there is still some potential for this year's team to provide enough good moments to keep our hopes up as fanatics.

• AndShock
                    AndShock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m just basing it on the posters we have on this forum. They obviously expected Teddy to play this year, which means the coaches/athletic department/those connected to the athletic department all thought Teddy would be playing this year. The coaches probably would’ve taken Teddy regardless but I think it’s safe to assume the coaching staff thought Teddy would be on the floor this year.

• Originally posted by wichita View Post
                  80 - 48 Makes me miss the MVC
                  A non con game makes you miss the MVC?

Comment

• N Crestway
                    N Crestway commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mid major talent that might work in the MVC but not against a good P-5 team. The AAC has a few of those P-5 level teams as well...
                    Last edited by N Crestway; December 8, 2018, 02:59 PM.

• Stickboy46
                    Stickboy46 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We played OU while we were still in the MVC too ...

• N Crestway
                    N Crestway commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Given where we are right now, I would prefer to be playing at a mid major level. This team needs time.

• One other thing concerning Reeves...we invested 60-70k in the kid. He gave us some good moments but didn’t do all that much for the program. In fact he had some “moments” that hurt. I wish him welI but don’t miss him in the least.

Comment

• N Crestway
                    N Crestway commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't wish him well. From my standpoint, the fact that he was cheering against his old team while they were in the midst of getting pounded was disappointing.

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would say Austin was above average in what he contributed to the program as a freshman and sophomore. So I don't feel like the program was short-changed. I'm disappointed he left the program. If I actually thought the program had actually been short-changed, as it appears you do, I would also be delighted that he chose to move one. I guess we disagree on this one.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 8, 2018, 10:19 PM.

• TheShocktocles
                    TheShocktocles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Totally agree about Austin. He chocked against Notredame and Houston last year that cost the team the game. I don't have any bad feelings towards him because he transferred. He did what he thought was right but he is history. Some people may miss him on this board but I don't give a sht. I support our current team and the new recruits we got coming in. Go shocks

• Keep recruiting.

Comment

• He had to replace Landry and Austin and we don’t know whether Austin was forced out or not, that said we did do a few things that have compounded the issue like redshirting RB and adding TA ( but maybe he was too good to pass on) and not bring in a couple more junco guys or grad transfers. Unfortunately, the two seniors we do have don’t have the mindset to lead a team frankly a guy like Rashard Kelly would be more ideal to have.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think we do know that Austin was not forced out. What we don't know is exactly what was behind his decision to leave.

• pinstripers
                      pinstripers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      CJ was forced out, sorta, then wanted to come back and was told no. He was Reaves' roommate. Austin didn't like the way he was treated.

• The Eagle had a video of 3G and Austin meeting each other in the hand shake line. I should probably just drop it, but it was interesting to see how fast, cold and awkward it was. I guess you can't really expect anything else considering the circumstances, made worse by the lopsided score.

Comment

• Have to remember we are playing with recruits that were bird-dogged by a high school coach and self-help guru. Not to say the newbies are all bad - some bright spots for sure - but I really think losing Heier and Jans, and replacing them with the above-mentioned “assistant coaches” might have put a bit of a hit on the program that might take a couple years of work for Gudino and Waterman to dig us out of.

Comment

Working...
                      X