Wichita State vs Baylor Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Yes, SHJ does things at time to make all of us cringe but 3G is obviously very high on him. After watching the game again yesterday, we do not win the game without his play, especially the And-one drive toward the end of the game. We have one of the most sought after coaches in the country so I for one will take his word over the arm chair quarterbacks saying how bad Jones is. Perhaps someone should get a question to Mike tonight asking coach why he doesn't know what the he'll he is doing?
    Apparently the conference media agrees with this take, because SHJ was granted all-conference mention for his performance Sat. night.

Comment

• If it's all about points, then SHJ will likely win a few weekly awards from time to time.

Marshall has no choice but to prop up SHJ. He lost Shamet, Reaves, and Lomax in the same year.

We will be limited greatly this year with SHJ and his JUCO caliber play. That's just a fact. It's not hate. It's just is what it is.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        Opinions posing as facts is a regular part of our current day media. Are we sure Fever isn’t a journalist or Bob Lutz maybe?

• N Crestway
        N Crestway commented
        Editing a comment
        WSU has another JUCO point with a better floor game plus possible offensive upside...also Stevenson and Burton take it up a notch later in the season. And possibly some additional upside in Jones game. At this point Glass still half full.

• Stickboy46
        Stickboy46 commented
        Editing a comment
        If one of Burton or Torres can start hitting shots, they will take SHJ's minutes .. but right now, they barely shoot are missing lots of shots outside the paint. It's a pick your poison type thing.

• lultz.jpg

Comment

• We just can't help it but to keep grading SHJ as a point guard -- which he never was. When Torres comes fully up to speed (and I think he will by the end of this season), SHJ will still get a ton of minutes but he will be at the 2, and kicking arse. And we will be a dangerous team.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Bluzrover
          Bluzrover commented
          Editing a comment
          I think we're starting to see this already. Ricky has really come around the past two games and it would seem the offense is much smoother with him at point. This pushes SHJ over to the 2, a more natural spot for him, and this keeps the ball out of his hands which is better overall for the offense.

• ShockingButTrue
          ShockingButTrue commented
          Editing a comment
          This scenario is enticing, and could vault the Shocks to the next level, if successfully executed. The next level being an upper league finish.

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        We just can't help it but to keep grading SHJ as a point guard -- which he never was. When Torres comes fully up to speed (and I think he will by the end of this season), SHJ will still get a ton of minutes but he will be at the 2, and kicking arse. And we will be a dangerous team.
        Torres’ minutes at PG may continue to grow. He is definitely their best passer. However, SHJ will still be our 2nd PG. Burton’s minutes seem to be moving toward the 3 position at this time. SHJ’s passing has improved and his PG skills have improved along with his assist total. He will still get 5-10 PG minutes per game.

Comment

• Bluzrover
          Bluzrover commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I am bummed that JB is losing minutes but he's losing minutes to the right PG, Torres. I suspect the fluctuation of the starting lineup and bench minutes will be about the only constant this season.

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Burton has to learn how to shoot. At his height, he can't rely on getting all his shots in the lane. I like this kid, but his shot is not good.

• SHJ may get some looks. He's so quick with good handles that knocks down shots. He settles in some more and keeps that up while making some great passes...he'll get some looks.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          We just can't help it but to keep grading SHJ as a point guard -- which he never was. When Torres comes fully up to speed (and I think he will by the end of this season), SHJ will still get a ton of minutes but he will be at the 2, and kicking arse. And we will be a dangerous team.
          Totally agree. SHJ was never a point guard with a point guard mentality. He is a small athletic 2guard with quickness that can shoot. Does he make mistakes? Yes but his value will help this team if he improves his basketball IQ and does the things he can do well.

Comment

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree but you deal and try to help grow the players you have this year. You can’t trade and SHJ is the 2nd best option right now at PG. GGG will continue to improve Ricky’s shooting (and Jamarius too) but will play SHJ PG minutes.

• ShockingButTrue
            ShockingButTrue commented
            Editing a comment
            Have to agree. He played a major role in our 2 biggest wins to date (Baylor, Providence), and is capable of the same, at least, against the same level of opponent, which is to say, most of the AAC. If he elevates his on-court performance then so will the Shocks...

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            Coach Marshall said once Ricky Torres starts hitting shots (and he will), this team will take off.

• Criticism of one hometown player, Frankamp, was not tolerated here. Criticism of another hometown player, Haynes-Jones, is encouraged (by some) here.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• N Crestway
            N Crestway commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe because Haynes-Jones seems to lose control more often. I got the feeling that last year Frankamp played the role of Marshall's "security blanket". He was more careful and deliberate than Haynes-Jones which trumped Jones athleticism when crunch time came.

• I listened to the coaches show twice last night... once on the radio and again on Cox 2022 (yep, once again, I'm a Cox sucker); it's pretty cool watching coach Marshall and Mike Kennedy do the show. As you can imagine (after a win), coach was upbeat. He said after watching the tape, SHJ's defense was even better than he thought... something they've been focusing on with SHJ.
          He specifically mentioned the 'block' call late in the game where SHJ planted himself in front of one of Baylor's big men... it was an obvious charge and Samajae Haynes Jones went flying into the basket support. The ref immediately came over to coach Marshall and admitted he missed the call; it was a charge. The referee said he felt bad about the call; probably the reason coach Marshall didn't go all 'Canada' on him. Coach also mentioned that SHJ took a couple of bad shots during the game. After watching the first half replay, I counted at least 3 bad shots. I couldn't bring myself to watch the second half; that's a memory I don't want to relive. There were others that took questionable shots in the first half. Coach Marshall said the players quit playing as a team in the second half and starting hunting for their shots. They had the mindset that the game was well in hand... something they are working on with this young team.

When I complain about SHJ, I'm reminded of Mike Jones in the early 80's. He was the player that received most of the wrath from the fans. People would '***** and moan' when he checked into the game. We called him "Bomber Jones"; sometimes the bombs hit their mark, while other times, they missed everything. "Bomber Jones" was the epitome of a streak shooter and had unlimited range (at least in his own mind). I even witnessed a couple of fans get into a skirmish in the stands right after Mike checked into a game; one guy was berating coach Smithson for playing Jones and the other guy took offence to his criticism. Fortunately, Mike got the last laugh when he "tickled the twine" a couple of times late to beat KU in the Battle of New Orleans in 1981... those "Bomber Jones" bombs were on target that night.

Let's face it, SHJ is the type of player that will continue to drive some of us nuts. His style is much different than the typical coach Marshall player. Some call it JUCO ball, but I call it SHJ ball. I sincerely hope he hits some big shots this season to shut up naysayers like myself. I'd love to eat some crow.

This is worth 5 minutes of your time... some classic dunks and "Bomber Jones" highlights.

P.S. Maybe it's just a 'Jones' thing? :)

P.S. II. I once had a thing with a Miss (no, not Mrs.) Jones...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Damn, Carr, Levingston, and McDaniel were tremendous.

Comment

• Shocker1976
            Shocker1976 commented
            Editing a comment
            The entire roster was tremendous, even Benedict Arnold Dreiling.

• For some of you SHJ haters and others who are skeptics......

This is what Taylor wrote about the game and it included Gregg's thoughts and other thoughts...............
          2. ‘Samajae did have that look’

Haynes-Jones’ electric night began early in the first half.

The Wichita native brought the crowd to its feet and forced Drew to burn a timeout after he crossed over Baylor defender Makai Mason so badly that Mason was four feet to the left of Haynes-Jones when he elevated and swished his second straight three of the game for a 10-0 lead.

Haynes-Jones made a career-high six three-pointers in the game, while he also registered a career-high 10 rebounds.

“Samajae did have that look,” Marshall said. “He was very, very confident. It’s really gratifying for me to see that young man play that well in a such a big game.”

For a 2-minute, 41-second stretch midway through the first half, Haynes-Jones and Stevenson bombed Baylor for six combined three-pointers to engineer an 18-3 run to boost WSU’s lead from 16 to 31.

Haynes-Jones would sink a three, then Stevenson would follow with back-to-back threes. Haynes-Jones made his own pair of threes before Stevenson capped the run with his final three to tie the shoot-off between teammates at three apiece.

“Whenever he puts a good move on and makes a shot, he gets me going,” Stevenson said. “I feel like my next shot is going in, you can pass me the ball, period.”

Haynes-Jones and Stevenson combined to make 14 of 30 (47 percent) field goals and 9 of 19 (47 percent) three-pointers; the rest of WSU combined for 12 of 36 (33 percent) field goals and 1 of 13 (8 percent) three-pointers.

It was a season-high scoring performance by Haynes-Jones, but he said the victory was more satisfying to him.

Comment

• what i like about samajae is that he was a high school state champion (east) and also a national champion (hutchinson). he's a winner that will find a way to win in the end of the game/season, in my opinion.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
              X