Wichita State vs Baylor Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good win for the Shocks. :wsu_posters:

As young and inexperienced as the team is I only have two complaints.

#1 The first is and will always be in the hearts and minds of so many, the calling of an appropriate time out. Settle down, set up a play or two out of the time out. Refocus efforts defensively, catch your breath, come out with some real energy for the next 2 minutes to give yourself a boost. Zion Williamson doesn't play hard on every single play - and he isn't perfect, but there are "energy" moments of the game where he is an unstoppable force. Oh, the one time I recall seeing a time-out called during the Baylor run, the offensive set out of the timeout was, well, offensive to say the least. :culpability:

#2 If you are a "older" guard (I'm not saying any names) for an inexperienced team, and you commit a travel in front of everyone to see, do not, and I mean DO NOT EVER jack up a three point shot from +26 feet after the call. Were I coaching, someone would have been sitting for a while afterwards. I might have even insisted the ref call a delay of game technical on the player just to prove a point. I don't know how they say it on the street, but that's some "weak-azz shite."

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post

#2 If you are a "older" guard (I'm not saying any names) for an inexperienced team, and you commit a travel in front of everyone to see, do not, and I mean DO NOT EVER jack up a three point shot from +26 feet after the call. Were I coaching, someone would have been sitting for a while afterwards. I might have even insisted the ref call a delay of game technical on the player just to prove a point. I don't know how they say it on the street, but that's some "weak-azz shite."
      Yep. I called it out in the game thread and it’s happened before. Just proves there’s literally only one thing on his mind at all times.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Just throwing this out there: Marshall couldn't have been more effusive of SHJ in the postgame. I sense a lot of residual criticism on this board from bad games' past, but this was a solid performance by SHJ.

Stevenson is the real deal, and you can look no further than the last 4 minutes of the game. When others were playing not to lose, Stevenson came in clutch with a few shots that got our heads up and swung the momentum in the right direction.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• JVShocker
          JVShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          We're fans, that's what we do. We recall moments from a ball game that were just completely out of touch with what should be happening. As far as SHJ is concerned, he had a good first half playing the off guard.There were moments in the 2nd half where his play offset much of the good he accomplished in the 1st half.

• Shockm
          Shockm commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are fair, you’d be hard pressed to find a Shocker player who that statement didn’t apply to. I will just say that SHJ had an excellent first half and a better game than pretty much all of the other Shockers. As a Senior, we need more games like Baylor for SHJ.

One additional comment. SHJ played some point guard the first half when played with Eric S. He also played Point with Burton playing the 3 when I believe ES was in. Whenever Ricky played he was the PG.
          Last edited by Shockm; December 3, 2018, 11:45 AM.

• ShockingButTrue
          ShockingButTrue commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya he was (effusive). SHJ has the green light because GGG says so... It's a good thing he didn't give it to Burton, or we'd really be bi******.

• Not to mention any names... :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Yep. I called it out in the game thread and it’s happened before. Just proves there’s literally only one thing on his mind at all times.
          Players do it all the time, not just SHJ. The way the NCAA is making new rules, maybe they'll have a new rule in the future where shooting after a dead ball is considered a delay and counts as a technical against the player that shot the ball.

Comment

• After reviewing the game it appeared J.E. did some the good things on the glass, just like he's been doing all year.

I haven't looked it up, but he has the highest per game board average since Jaime Arnold?

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
              Just throwing this out there: Marshall couldn't have been more effusive of SHJ in the postgame. I sense a lot of residual criticism on this board from bad games' past, but this was a solid performance by SHJ.

Stevenson is the real deal, and you can look no further than the last 4 minutes of the game. When others were playing not to lose, Stevenson came in clutch with a few shots that got our heads up and swung the momentum in the right direction.
              You are so correcto. Stevenson has been my favorite, since his high school game tapes were available. I just like everything about him. He has a perceptive consciousness about game situations and he knows exactly what to do. One his strengths is making the right pass, particularly in press situations. He is not perfect, but he is pretty damn good and he will get a lot better.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Players do it all the time, not just SHJ. The way the NCAA is making new rules, maybe they'll have a new rule in the future where shooting after a dead ball is considered a delay and counts as a technical against the player that shot the ball.
                I am not a fan because he is not a very good traffic player, given his position.

I am a big fan of his quickness, however.
                Last edited by Ricardo del Rio; December 3, 2018, 02:11 PM. Reason: balance
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Obviously SHJ does not even come close to being a Fred or a Landry, and like many others, he has faults.

But, at this point in time, he is the best shot on our squad.

Even this kid, and let us not forget, he is still a kid too, earns the respect of us fans, when he performs well.

I don't question his being identified as a Chucker, but if any one of our boys, hits as many 3's in a game, as he did, Chucker quickly changes to SHOCKER.

And so it should remain.

Comment

• If he was our only offensive option I might agree with you but he is not. If he was shooting north of 45% I
                    might agree with you....but he is not. When he has the ball and "doing his thing" the rest of the team has
                    a tendency to stand around and watch and the ball doesn't move around the perimeter as it should. The
                    other players lose their offensive edge when they start watching and stop moving. The offense then stalls
                    and the lack of offensive flow can carry over to the defense, as well. Works in reverse also.

Comment

• 12eagle
                      12eagle commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He is shooting 37 percent from 3 which is roughly the same as shooting 55 percent from 2. As long as he keeps that percentage or better he should keep shooting.

• I think you’re overstating your case. He plays a ton of minutes, has the ball in his hands a lot, and makes a lot of bad decisions. Blaming all of the offensive and defensive issues on Samajae’s over-dribbling seems excessive.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• I, too, am somewhat frustrated with SHJ lack of quality decisions. But let’s keep in mind we have been spoiled with the way above average guard play of Fred, Ron and Landry. A pretty high bar, wouldn’t we say?

Comment

• One of the oddest games I have ever watched. Glad we won but please dont stress us out like this again!
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                          One of the oddest games I have ever watched. Glad we won but please dont stress us out like this again!
                          Get used to it for awhile 11, that is what is in-store.

Comment

• Yes, SHJ does things at time to make all of us cringe but 3G is obviously very high on him. After watching the game again yesterday, we do not win the game without his play, especially the And-one drive toward the end of the game. We have one of the most sought after coaches in the country so I for one will take his word over the arm chair quarterbacks saying how bad Jones is. Perhaps someone should get a question to Mike tonight asking coach why he doesn't know what the he'll he is doing?

Comment

Working...
                            X