Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU-Baylor 300 Tickets Available

No reason this shouldn't be a sellout.

I would think that these 300 tickets don’t include the student tickets that are not picked up by students and are now for sale.

Comment

Cannot go. Already gave our tickets to a friend and his son.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        Cannot go. Already gave our tickets to a friend and his son.
        34b791f1babd7f6789f0e947abaabb82.jpg
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I really thought our fanbase had less bandwagoners. Wow.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I actually don't believe it has a lot to do with "bandwagoners". I just think it's a tough sell, in today's world of quality broadcasting, to entice people to buy 2 tickets in row 34, where it can be miserably uncomfortable and perhaps have an obstructed view, for $86. I think generally folks that don't mind dropping a C note going to a game want, perhaps even expect, a much better seat.

Comment

• SB Shock
              SB Shock commented
              Editing a comment
              I disagree. There really are very few obstructed views. And even if you get a seat in row 34, they are not bad seats, probably better than what u would get at the INTRUST game for the average fan.

Being that said, there were a lot of no-shows in the lower bowl at the home games this year.

The atmosphere at this game will be exciting wherever one sits slthough an obstructed view isn’t ideal.

Comment

I’d take 2 tickets if someone is offering! Things are tough around the holidays for young families. Shameless new-dad plug. Nevertheless, GO SHOX

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                I actually don't believe it has a lot to do with "bandwagoners". I just think it's a tough sell, in today's world of quality broadcasting, to entice people to buy 2 tickets in row 34, where it can be miserably uncomfortable and perhaps have an obstructed view, for $86. I think generally folks that don't mind dropping a C note going to a game want, perhaps even expect, a much better seat.
                Is that correct? Wow. During the Smithson/Turgeon years we sat on row 4 just off the visitor bench (sat next to Kyle Wilson's family for years). I jokingly told someone (told them 2 years ago) what we paid for them the last year we had them and they told me the price was 2x or 3x that now.

I do see a lot more non-students (and its the same people) sitting in the student section in "their regular seats" every single game. They're not students, but a lot of people are having students pick up /buy tickets for themselves to use. My son graduated last year and for 4 years we had choice of seat from row 1-34 depending on how early we wanted to get to the game. Daughter is still enrolled, but pick-up times always conflict with her schedule this semester. :banghead:

Comment

I'm not surprised at all with 300+ seats being available. First, let's look at the 90's to calibrate our gauge. That will give one a much better view of the "hard core" number of true Shocker fans that could afford to go to games. Just as now, there were Shocker fans that simply couldn't afford it or felt like those monies should go to something else, say like helping their kids to a college education or more basic needs.

As those 20-30 years ago numbers dwindle due to age, newer generations of Shocker supporters need to be found and it's just not as easy as getting the older supporters' kids to continue in their place. First, they're not going to be "in their place". Unless they have a lot more money than their folks, they're not getting the seats their parents had and that they sat in for years and years. All the points their parents built are gone and they start over just as any other "new" Shocker fan.

Our number of sponsors have increased (I would assume greatly) since the 90's due to the success of the men's basketball program. Those numbers can go up and down depending on the continuing high level of success. Some here have tried to compare WSU basketball to Gonzaga, particularly after we beat them in the Dance. We are not the Zags. If we have close to their level of continued success, a full house and a waiting line will be no problem. Please don't give me the WCC excuse. The Zags have done well in the non-con and post season (one could say they have even upped their game since we last played them).

Competing sports. People are finding other outlets that they can better afford as in volleyball (given the continual rise in SASO and BB tickets).
                  People who may not have been able to afford basketball in many years past, use to have an outlet in baseball. If positive changes are made, that program should thrive in our current conference with strong baseball programs. HCKA is doing a great job rebuilding (or building) a viable women's bb program and the same goes for HCKB in softball.

Today's technology. It's getting easier and easier to watch who you want when you want.

How thriving is the current employment status? Companies coming in? Companies leaving?

Trying to build a more true college campus life. I think in time, this will help fill the student section. Does anyone know what "normal" sitting section numbers for students are at other comparable universities. The bigger the university, the more students (and fewer non-students) the school can afford to have in the seats. This can help "hide" the paying fan numbers.

While none of these factors (and others not mentioned) may not cause a big dent in attendance, all of them combined can add up to a problem with empty seats.

Comment

We season ticket holders have seen our prices go up dramatically over the last few years. To the point that my 4 seats cost me approximately $61 per seat per game. I've been saying for the last couple years they are almost to the top of my budget. I think that is what we are seeing now, they have found the threshold that the public is willing to spend on basketball tickets. At some point, even the most financially well off fans find a price point where they are no longer will to pay. Its not because any of us are less of a fan than others or we don't support the team, its just the numbers don't add up. Add in the availability of the games on TV as has been mentioned and it really gets hard to shell out the $ to go to the games. Return on investment...
                    -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

• pinstripers
                      pinstripers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, exactly. Mrs. p and I are close to the end as well. Games being available on national TV is both a blessing and a curse.

• 60Shock
                      60Shock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Certainly can feel for a family of four having to plunk down $244 a game just for the seats, plush refreshments. Parking too?

Went to the game in Waco last year when both teams were ranked. Maybe 70% capacity. We are going to sell out or get close in a “down year”. I’ll take that. Plus with the tickets costing more some may be saving for Christmas time.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      Today's technology. It's getting easier and easier to watch who you want when you want.
                      Personally, I think the technology when combined with the increasing cost of in-person attendance and perhaps an aging fan-base is the biggest factor.

Even volleyball attendance is down from the peak years since more and more games became available via some kind of video broadcast starting with games being available on ESPN3 in our last few years in the Valley.

The option of sitting at home in a comfy easy chair or recliner, enjoying a relatively inexpensive snack and beverage and watching the game on a big screen HDTV (or even on a mobile device or a computer) with replays is certainly an option some will find as an appealing alternative to attending games in person.

All things considered I don't think having 300 unsold tickets is too bad in this day and age. I really doubt the atmosphere in the arena is significantly effected by 300 empty seats at the top of he arena. Hopefully, the economic and exposure benefits of the video broadcasts more than make up for the relatively small number of unsold tickets.

Comment

I know for me, in row 29 or 30 (but in three different sections) since 2003, have seen my per seat per game price go from about $15 to $50. Since I've been a season ticket holder that long, my seats are pretty nice as I am even with the "north" free throw line. But if I had to pay the same price for this row or higher but on an end, I'm not sure I would be as good with it.

Thankfully the increases the past couple of years have been smaller than I actually expected, but each year it inches closer to the point where I might choose to watch the regular season games at home or a local tavern, and save the money for going to, when possible, the conference and postseason tournament games.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

This is just one of the reasons that the idea of expanding capacity at CKA is not sound. The atmosphere in CKA is incredible and has a national reputation. It was a bummer to watch the Rice game and see so many empty seats but even through the television one could get a sense of the enthusiasm of the crowd. The challenges of filling another 1000 to 3000 additional seats would ruin that atmosphere IMHO.

I'm pretty sure those two young 4* guards who attend Saturday will fail to notice 200 or 300 empty seats, or at least be all that troubled by it. That's because that crowd will be energized (I hope) by the play on the court.

Comment

Working...
                          X