No announcement yet.

Teddy Allen Update 11-20-18!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone thinks Teddy is the only player in college basketball to have a weed problem, then they are living in a Disney fairytale.

He could have easily stuck around WVU and continue living the way he did.

At least the kid had the balls to admit he had a problem and that he wants to fix it.
    The Assman

Comment

• AndShock
      AndShock commented
      Editing a comment
      We’re almost to the point where the NCAA should stop testing for it anyways. Leave it up to the programs.

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Only a matter of time before it’s fully legal anyway

College kid with weed issue: OMGtheirfutureisdoomed

College kid with alcohol issue: Nothing to see here folks... just the college experience

Make one illegal, punishable, and ruinous towards background checks for a lifetime; make the other regulated, taxed, and part of accepted “fun”; watch culture create a real life example of the concept of cognitive dissonance.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Maybe WV had no issue and the NCAA didn't believe #1 had been met....

Just wondering, in his time at WV, what was out of his control? I get all the stuff beforehand, but from the time he started at WV, I didn't see what event transpired that was out of his control.

I read the Athletic article and all I read was there was too much freedom at WV, so he smoked weed all the time.
      His mother dying was a little out of his control. He had already committed and tried to give it a go. However, with her loss and the lack of accountability apparently at West Virginia, he struggled and started to backslide and therefore needed to move closer to his support group that could help him stay in line and continue his improvement and keep him from completely losing all of the progress he had made the previous couple of years.
      The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

• ShockerPrez
        ShockerPrez commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought his mother passed prior to him committing to WVU.

I wonder if it would have been approved had he gone back to Creighton or UNO

Comment

• Shock Top
        Shock Top commented
        Editing a comment
        They have evidence that he tried to go CU.

They said no, so he found the closest school that matched his talent level.

I know you probably understood this, but it seems simple explanation if they denied based on location/distance.

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
      College kid with weed issue: OMGtheirfutureisdoomed

College kid with alcohol issue: Nothing to see here folks... just the college experience

Make one illegal, punishable, and ruinous towards background checks for a lifetime; make the other regulated, taxed, and part of accepted “fun”; watch culture create a real life example of the concept of cognitive dissonance.

Yes x 1000. DoD is finally figuring that out.

Comment

He realizes he has a problem with weed. He used that to cope at WVU because he didn't have a support system there. He has a support system here. The fact that he had to rely on that at WVU only strengthens the case for an approved waiver.

Comment

I'm unclear why some on this board think that trying to cover up his addiction problem would have been a better policy than being honest about both his mental health issues and his self-medication in the absence of a support system. In fact, if he had not come clean on that front, I think the NCAA's case for denying the waiver would be much stronger, not weaker. I guess it should come as no surprise, however, that covering up a problem is preferred by the NCAA to being open and honest and trying to resolve the underlying issue since that seems to be their default position on everything.
          Last edited by The Mad Hatter; November 22, 2018, 08:55 PM.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Teddy has made some poor choices in the past, nobody owes him anything. We tried to game the system and failed. If it's meant to be and Teddy is responding to his "support system" then he will be a great asset on the team next year. All this B.S. about Teddy needing dope to cope, or even more laughable, to play basketball immediately to cope just needs to stop. This participation ribbon bullshit is making me regret eating so much for Thanksgiving. If Teddy is tough (and mature) enough to make it 3 years under Gregg Marshall, he'll wind up A-OK in life. His first test will be how he responds to the NCAA rejection.

I knew Teddy had big-time behavior issues long before he stepped a foot on our campus. I also knew he was a great basketball player. His future is full of potential and it now all rests firmly in his hands. Be smart Teddy!

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              He realizes he has a problem with weed. He used that to cope at WVU because he didn't have a support system there. He has a support system here. The fact that he had to rely on that at WVU only strengthens the case for an approved waiver.
              Exactly . I have been saying this too. "The first step to recovery is the recognition of the problem"

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                Teddy has made some poor choices in the past, nobody owes him anything. We tried to game the system and failed. If it's meant to be and Teddy is responding to his "support system" then he will be a great asset on the team next year. All this B.S. about Teddy needing dope to cope, or even more laughable, to play basketball immediately to cope just needs to stop. This participation ribbon bullshit is making me regret eating so much for Thanksgiving. If Teddy is tough (and mature) enough to make it 3 years under Gregg Marshall, he'll wind up A-OK in life. His first test will be how he responds to the NCAA rejection.

I knew Teddy had big-time behavior issues long before he stepped a foot on our campus. I also knew he was a great basketball player. His future is full of potential and it now all rests firmly in his hands. Be smart Teddy!

T

...:cool:
                Cold,
                Good call.
                Teddy has had issues, but those on here chiming in with the "its ok to get baked all day" cause he was having trouble coping is weak. I know many on here are heartbroken he was deemed ineligible this year, but get over it.
                If he had that many issues less than a year ago, its a good move to give him some time to get his life in order, from a long term perspective. It is especially important with the right support system now in place.
                Did WVU have some influence on the final decision?
                Maybe.
                But even if they did, it may end being the best thing in the long run.

That is all.
                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Cold,
                  Good call.
                  Teddy has had issues, but those on here chiming in with the "its ok to get baked all day" cause he was having trouble coping is weak. I know many on here are heartbroken he was deemed ineligible this year, but get over it.
                  If he had that many issues less than a year ago, its a good move to give him some time to get his life in order, from a long term perspective. It is especially important with the right support system now in place.
                  Did WVU have some influence on the final decision?
                  Maybe.
                  But even if they did, it may end up being the best thing in the long run.

That is all.
                  Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• The mental health professional disagrees with your assessment.
                    The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

• I’ve seen a lot of vets come back from overseas and self medicate to cope. They may or may not have seen or done bad things. Each person has their own threshold of where that tipping point is. I am not comparing Teddy’s issues to what some vets go through but just to dismiss his reasons for smoking weed as weak or snowflake like is a bit odd without being there in that place they are in. When I think of snowflakes I think of kids that are never held responsible for anything they have done because they are unique. Teddy was sent to Boys Town, suffered through his moms illness and death, and was held to and maintained fairly high standards. That is not being treated like a snowflake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dark Lord View Post
                        The mental health professional disagrees with your assessment.
                        Agree: find something positive you love to do, immerse yourself it in as much as humanly possible and do it with people you love and that care about you.

“As much as humanly possible” means playing in competitive games in Teddy’s case, IMHO.

Funny thing (ironic not ha ha) is that the NCAA guidance on mental health issues says pretty much the same thing.

Comment

• I think we are selling Teddy a bit short. Yes, it would have been better IMHO if Teddy was allowed to play this year and perhaps that will still happen. But I believe Teddy is capable of surviving and thriving whether he plays or not. Whether he will or not is primarily up to him. He can immerse himself in helping this team get better as much as he can in practice, take care of business off court and perhaps prove to his teammates that he will be the guy to lead this team next year and enjoy what is now a pretty good life situation if he takes advantage of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X