No announcement yet.

Overall #1 Recruit James Wiseman Commits to Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This confirms Penny is cheating. A relationship with your high school coach isn’t worth the $200k+ that was offered by UK and KU.

Comment

Back when Calipari coached Memphis, he did the same thing and dominated the conference. Penny will keep retaining the local talent because he’s a legend there. Whether he can coach them is TBD.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
        I got in a twitter argument with some troll a few months back with my position that I thought what Penny was doing at Memphis would have a positive effect on our own recruiting. Athletes want to be the best so they want to compete against the best. I'm really interested to see how we compete against the talent he's attracting to Memphis. We did pretty well last year with what I would consider top of the MVC talent. I believe the level of recruit 3G pulls into Wichita will just continue to rise each year and as scholarships open up. We just getting started folks!
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Why should I be happy for Memphis? They are getting superior talent to WSU! I guess more eyeballs on the conference is a good thing, and maybe that helps bring in people to WSU

I don’t think the “rising tide” thing will play out in this scenario, because they are only going to Memphis because of Penny and would normally not be caught dead at an AAC school. Top 100 kids? Sure! I would not get used to Top 10-20 kids though.

Sorry for the pessimism, but just calling it like I see it at this moment in time. Just in that kind of mood lately.
          Last edited by Shock Top; November 20, 2018, 03:24 PM.
          The Assman

Comment

• shock
            shock commented
            Editing a comment
            Just to be clear, you think the AAC has a ceiling to the type of recuit it attracts?

How in the hell did Marshall get Fred, Cle, and Landry to commit while in the lowly MVC?

• Shock Top
            Shock Top commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m just saying, don’t get used to the #1 kid coming to the American.

It’s a great conference and vastly superior to the MVC. I am more than happy WSU is in it.

I’m just being honest with myself too in that the AAC schools aren’t going to pull the kids the Duke’s and Kentucky’s of the world are going to pull.

• Bluzrover
            Bluzrover commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm certainly not predicting a bunch of 5* are going to flood the American, and certainly not Wichita State (I know Gregg has commented he would be interested, I'm not convinced those are the types he really wants on his team).

I just believe that talent is attracted to talent and that the American is building some strong programs and this can only help the rest of us, at least those who want to have competitive programs.

Do we need to just eliminate the recruiting forum since everyone wants to use the men's basketball forum as the pulpit with more opportunities for ears?
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

If Penny doesn't have an assistant that can coach this year, he damn sure will have one by next year

Comment

Got to admit that I'm a glass half empty sort... all the talent flowing out of Memphis and into that program at the moment scare's me. The " rising tide" may work for some schools in the AAC but not necessarily for WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                Got to admit that I'm a glass half empty sort... all the talent flowing out of Memphis and into that program at the moment scare's me. The " rising tide" may work for some schools in the AAC but not necessarily for WSU.
                Change the lenses in your glasses...

Red-Blue-Plastic-Glasses.jpg
                41GOOZvyakL.jpg
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
                  Got to admit that I'm a glass half empty sort.
                  Lack of fluids does affect the brain along with other body functions.

Comment

• N Crestway
                    N Crestway commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I missed out on a promotion in the Army due to my negativity and being overly critical. Golly, maybe fluids were and are the problem. Must drink more water...

Perhaps all the new NEWS about players and families and agents and coaches and shoe companies are starting to resonate amongst the high-schoolers. Maybe a little pause in the Matrix for a couple years (until Kentucky, Carolina and the Rug can fix it of course) where kids and families are starting to think a little "long term" as opposed to winning the lottery out of high school and the thought of going to jail or getting a bad rap is actually a consequence. Damn that President Trump guy and the conservative narrative. He's got me thinking of a better world. Lol
                  Last edited by AZ Shocker; November 21, 2018, 02:33 AM.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Aargh
                    Aargh commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Part of your post is in the wrong forum.

3G and Co. are just going to have to step up the recruiting game. As much as some of you love developing 2 star players, we need to start getting more 4 stars and a few 5 stars if possible.

Comment

• ShockerPrez
                    ShockerPrez commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What he said.

• choida
                    choida commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just follow the Villanova recipe and we should be ok

• Topshock
                    Topshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Some truth to that. To be at the top of this conference 3 an 4 star players will probably have to be the norm for our recruits.

I tend to think Gregg will have better success with those 3 and 4 star players who continue to be overlooked by the P5 schools and have the huge chips on their shoulders. And I also believe it will be a rare day when Marshall brings a 5* to Wichita. I just don't see those types of youngsters fitting in with his philosophy on life, let alone basketball. And I'm really okay with that. I love the scrappy attitude of the athletes 3G brings to the program.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a 5*, I just don't think it's in Coach Marshall's DNA to want to coach those types of players. I've never met the man but I've watched him build this program to national prominence without those diaper dandies that Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and other blue blood programs have on a regular basis, and I don't think he's going to change. I honestly believe that's one of the reasons he hasn't taken a job with a P5 school.

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spot on!

And I've heard coach Marshall say, "we're not going to play in the slop"; you have to play in the slop to get most of the 5 star players.

Better for us to get 4* that believe they should have been 5*.
                  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Bluzrover
                    Bluzrover commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Couldn't agree more.

Will only strengthen the league and add to the tv ratings when we are all playin prime time

Comment

The three's and four's generally stick around longer. Wiseman will be at Memphis two years tops, but more likely, only one year. This is why I like WSU's style of recruiting. The only five stars Marshall gets would likely be five stars from the Wichita area.

Comment

Working...
                    X