Overall #1 Recruit James Wiseman Commits to Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall #1 Recruit James Wiseman Commits to Memphis

According to ESPN, James Wiseman (7' big man) is regarded as the #1 overall 2019 recruit, and just committed to Memphis live on ESPN. Wiseman was coached in high school by Hardaway (haven't we heard this before...) was all set to go to Kentucky until Hardaway became the Memphis coach. So we're going to see just what kind of coach Hardaway is cuz he's clearly got the talent now to win the AAC. According to this ESPN article they are also pursuing two other top 20 recruits. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ommits-memphis

Originally posted by IdahoShocker View Post
    According to ESPN, James Wiseman (7' big man) is regarded as the #1 overall 2019 recruit, and just committed to Memphis live on ESPN. Wiseman was coached in high school by Hardaway (haven't we heard this before...) was all set to go to Kentucky until Hardaway became the Memphis coach. So we're going to see just what kind of coach Hardaway is cuz he's clearly got the talent now to win the AAC. According to this ESPN article they are also pursuing two other top 20 recruits. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ommits-memphis
    Good for Penny, Menphis, and our league. I am not angry at Menphis or Penny for their recruiting success. Its about relationships and trust. And it makes me very happy that Kentucky and Kansas lost this battle. Look forward to seeing Wiseman play in Koch. I just want to beat them when we play.

Comment

Good deal. I’m not sold on Penny as a coach but what do I know? Glad to see an American team pull in good recruits. Now they’ve got to go out and win some games.

Comment

So far Penny has done what was expected. Get his players that he's coached for the last few years to commit to Memphis. Now he has to do the hard part. Win. Then continue to recruit once his connections dry up. Getting #1 doesn't guarantee anything (see Fultz, Simmons)

Comment

• Bluzrover
          Bluzrover commented
          Editing a comment
          That is exactly my thought as well. I'm really happy for their program and really do want him to succeed as 3G has made it clear that he wanted to move to the American for just this sort of situation. But, what happens once all those young players Penny coached on the AAU circuit and highschool all grow up? Can he continue to pull in key talent? I'd like to think so but it's going to take some time to see how this all plays out.

This is why WSU jumped leagues. A competitive conference will continue to be a place kids want to play in and elevate WSUs appeal across the board.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Comment

"A rising tide lifts all ships."

Good for Memphis, good for the American, good for Wichita State.

Comment

We as a conference should want Penny and Memphis to be successful... It gives us another chance at a quality win. Same goes for UConn. If y'all wanted crappy conference games maybe staying in the Valley would have been ideal

Comment

• WuShocker2006
                WuShocker2006 commented
                Editing a comment
                I think Mitchell would be an amazing stretch 5. Positionless basketball my friends! So many possible combinations adding next year's class.

Shocks need to add a post to compete and draw him outside. Ahem.. Tre Mitchell... ahem...

Comment

• Bluzrover
                Bluzrover commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not so sure that Tre is a post. Seems like he's more of a 3/4 based on some of the stuff I've read. Regardless, I'm with you, I'd like to see 3G add Mr. Mitchell to the roster next year.

Makes it easier to recruit good bigs to this league for the next year or two. Very excited about this. It is so fun to be in a league with programs that can pull.

Comment

Good for them. I dont know what the long term outlook of Penny is. Too soon to tell how good of an actual coach he will be. But short term it's great. Definitely a shot in the arm for Memphis and the league.
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Penny only has to be an average coach if he keeps landing recruits like this. Alas, he'll soon be running out of players he coached in high school...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Big Blue Nation will demand an investigation continuing their hypocrisy—this should be fun to watch. Wonder how many “Penny Cheated” threads there are on their ten message boards.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                      We as a conference should want Penny and Memphis to be successful... It gives us another chance at a quality win. Same goes for UConn. If y'all wanted crappy conference games maybe staying in the Valley would have been ideal
                      THIS!!!!!

Comment

I got in a twitter argument with some troll a few months back with my position that I thought what Penny was doing at Memphis would have a positive effect on our own recruiting. Athletes want to be the best so they want to compete against the best. I'm really interested to see how we compete against the talent he's attracting to Memphis. We did pretty well last year with what I would consider top of the MVC talent. I believe the level of recruit 3G pulls into Wichita will just continue to rise each year and as scholarships open up. We just getting started folks!

Comment

• Bbfan
                          Bbfan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There have been years when, like the city of Memphis currently, that our high school cupboards have been full. That will happen again. Good for Memphis. Enjoy it now as it never lasts forever.
                      Working...
                      X