After 5 Games (And With A Week Off)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    I would agree that the future is bright but think it's going to be a rough ride from now to at least
    mid 2019 season. We will be around .500 this season BUT dangerous enough at the end to
    make a run at the conference tournament title if we get hot at the right time. I like JB a lot but
    teams sagging on him is a concern. I still believe that ES can shoot and is just in a temporary
    slump. I'd like to us us try a bigger lineup and play a 3-2 match up zone with ES at point, DD at
    the two guard, MM at small forward, JE at power forward and either AM or Udeze at center. I
    think that would be a great defensive line up able to guard the perimeter and the paint.
    I don’t think Stevenson is a PG, so not a fan of your defensive line-up. Burton at the point would be fine, just not enough talent at the 4/5 to push MM to the 3.
    Livin the dream

Comment

I am not concerned with the shooting of Stevenson. His shot looks good and he has shown in previous games that he can knock down those shots. He will get his groove back.
      The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Stevenson = Evan Wessel lol wtf? Stevenson was a highly sought after recruit. Did Wessel even have a D1 offer? If Stevenson ends up as only a Wessel, he will be an epic bust.

I'm a little down on Stevenson after seeing his actual size in person (very down on Torres), but I'm not losing my mind and downgrading my expectations to glue guy. I predict he's going to have a helluva impact sooner rather than later. His chances in the Association are nil though unless he keeps growing and/or turns into a dynamite PG. He looked great playing PG in the summer.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Aargh
          Aargh commented
          Editing a comment
          You seem to have a lower opinion of Wessel than some on this board. I don't consider it an insult in any way shape or form to have a player compared to Wessel. It's actually quite a compliment.

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          Wessel was a very smart player that worked harder than most, but he was not a gifted basketball player. Stevenson was reported to be a very gifted basketball player that specifically chose WSU over PAC12 schools due to Marshall's record sending guards to the NBA. I don't remember Wessel ever having NBA aspirations.

T

I wish we had Wessel right now

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate everything the guy did. I was a hater at first but he won me over. I will say we were 4 vs 5 with Wessel on the floor many times. We made it work no doubt but more Wessels should not be the goal of this program. We want legit ball players who think and fight like Wessel.

I'm thinking Wessel would have a tough go in the AAC. Rebounds would not come as easy as in the MVC.

T

I’ve compared Stevenson to Wessel, but only on determination and how hard he plays. He might be closer to a Ron Baker though. He’s much more skilled than Weasel.

Similarly, I think of Burton as Cotton like, minus the athleticism.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• TheShocktocles
          TheShocktocles commented
          Editing a comment
          Man I grow tired of the Stevenson hype. I heard it all this summer. I didnt say anything because I believe that players should be given a chance. But as of right now, what has Steveson done? Right , Wessel did not come with NBA aspirations but he produced. I do not recall Wessel shooting 1 for 10 in a game. Wessel made open big shots against Northen Iowa, Kansas and others. All Stevenson sems to do is miss wide open 3 pointers. And please don't compare him to Baker either. Both Wessel and Baker played smart, tough, and made big shots. Let's see if Stevenson can meet that standard. It's early in his career.

Back to the subject, after the Catawba game, I assumed we'd be 0-5 now, so..........

Comment

Interesting as I would've never compared Erik Stevenson to Evan Wessel coming out of high school. Neither would I compare Erik Stevenson to Ron Baker coming out of high school. My initial take on learning about ES last year had my mind comparing him to Landry Shamet.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            If he can shoot as well as Shamet he’s going to be a really nice player.

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Landry is an exceptional shooter and leaper. I would actually compare Stevenson to Toure Murry at this point. Good defender, average shooter, above average ball handler. Like Murry, he has the propensity to get hot and drop a lot of threes, but can also look very average some games.

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          Interesting as I would've never compared Erik Stevenson to Evan Wessel coming out of high school. Neither would I compare Erik Stevenson to Ron Baker coming out of high school. My initial take on learning about ES last year had my mind comparing him to Landry Shamet.
          I would agree.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• BOBB
            BOBB commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. This guy is touted as a scoring machine. So was Frankamp. So was Aaron Hogg.

He is a Freshman. He has played five games. He did erupt in an earlier game, so there is potential. But, yes, we can’t have two non shooting guards on the floor at the same time.

Here is the PER (Player Efficiency Rating) for the team. FYI, Teddy Allen PER last year was 21.0

15 is considered an average player.
          >22 is all-star.
          < 11 is fringe roster player

Tier 1
          McDuffie - 26.3
          Echenique - 25.0

Tier 2
          Dennis - 13.5
          Udeze - 12.4
          Burton - 12.3
          Stevenson - 11.2

Tier 3
          SHJ - 10.3

Tier 4
          Torres - 7.4
          Brown - 3.7
          Moore - 3.6
          Midtgaard - 1.4
          PBC - (-6.1)

Stevenson is underrated by PER because he is the 2nd best defensive plus/minus (+3.2) behind Echenique (+5.3). The only other player to have a positive contribution on D is Udeze (+2.1). All the other players are negative (McDuffie is -6.0).

For reference purpose, last year team PER (with defensive plus/minus in [ ].
          Morris - 26.8 [+4.8]
          Willis - 23.5 [+1.0]
          Shamet - 21.4 [-0.1]
          Frankamp - 18.4 [-0.2]
          Kelly - 17.1 [+4.5]
          Reaves - 16.3 [+1.3]
          McDuffie - 15.1 [-0.2]
          Nurger - 14.8 [+1.7]
          SHJ - 14.7 [-1.7]
          Brown - 10.6 [+2.5]

Summary

Those who are writing this team and this season off as a lost season are mistaken and are not paying attention to the state of the American. WSU in KenPom is showing they will be very competitive with the other American teams. Also, WSU was in a much worse position in 2016 season after a 1-4 start and still playing in the MVC.

If WSU gets a break and Teddy is freed, WSU offense will take an incremental step. I expect Dennis/Burton/Udeze/Stevenson offensive potential to improve as the season moves along. The wild card is will this team figure out how to play Defense.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
            Shocktoberfest commented
            Editing a comment
            I love positive posts. Thanks. This season will not be a bust. Teddy would be huge, but regardless, we will get much better. Also, looking at last years list it's crazy how much perspective is gained. We have been loaded for a long time. We had some studs up and down the roster.

What is taken into account when calculating PER?
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            What is taken into account when calculating PER?
            A highlevel description is below. For more detailed answer visit this

It discuses the strengths and weaknesses.

PER takes into account accomplishments, such as field goals, free throws, 3-pointers, assists, rebounds, blocks and steals, and negative results, such as missed shots, turnovers and personal fouls. The formula adds positive stats and subtracts negative ones through a statistical point value system. The rating for each player is then adjusted to a per-minute basis so that, for example, substitutes can be compared with starters in playing time debates. It is also adjusted for the team's pace. In the end, one number sums up the players' statistical accomplishments for that season.

Comment

• wufan
              wufan commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

New line-up:

Burton
            SHJ
            Allen
            McDuffie
            Echineque

Torres
            Stevenson
            Dennis
            Udeze
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
              New line-up:

Burton
              SHJ
              Allen
              McDuffie
              Echineque

Torres
              Stevenson
              Dennis
              Udeze
              I'd actually be disappointed if coach moves Allen directly into the starting line up. Make him earn it in game time like the others have.

Comment

• choida
                choida commented
                Editing a comment
                What makes you think he might not have already earned it? He's been with the team from the start.

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Right, Coach always says the starting spots are earned in practice.

• giskard
                giskard commented
                Editing a comment
                Having him sub in would give the crowd a chance to give him a pretty good welcome.
            Working...
            X