No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Appalachian State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy with the W. It was against a mid-level Sun Belt team. But again we'll take wins whenever we can get them.

JB is just a solid player. He doesn't look like a freshman. I feel very comfortable with the ball in his hands. JE played some great minutes. Scoring, passing, and pulling down boards, but man he needs to catch passes better. MM carried us. I hope this is the consistent Marcus. I want him to be the leader that he wants to be. On a sidenote, as a leader, I wish he'd high-five his teammates more and help them off the floor. He can lead but he also needs to know he's on a team also. I've kinda stated my piece on SHJ. Just too many shots and too many misses. He probably misses more than he should because most of his shots are terrible. They're essentially turnovers. He's good for about 7-10 of those a game. Just not good. He just can't be gobbling up this many minutes. If he'd focus more on passing the ball and stop JUCOing it up every time he touches the ball, he'd be an asset on this team. As it stands, he is not.

Oh and we need Teddy. Huggy Bear lost again to WKU tonight so he's probably still a grump bear.

Really would be nice to beat Bama. I'd feel pretty good about the team, considering all it's up against right now, if we were 3-2 at this point.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I think if Torres was playing anywhere close to what Marshall was needing we would be seeing less of SHJ. I really think it’s by default at this point of the season until some of the younger guys get more experience. I agree that Jones shouldn’t be starting or shooting so much but he does offer something to this team if he would quit trying to do too much when the % is against him. Burton will be the starting point sooner than later, and Dennis and Stevens will be playing the two. SHJ would fill in nicely coming off the bench, he has good quickness but does have trouble finishing at the rim.

Comment

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        Burton isn’t really a Point guard either. He is a really all around, solid, very nice prospect who is already good. He has a knack for scoring inside and driving to the basket. His strength allows him to score among taller players but he is an average (at best) perimeter shooter from 17’ in. He does play point a good portion of the minutes. However, if we are running a clock play (end of shot clock) where creativity is necessary, Marshall usually has SHJ with the ball in his hands to create a play.

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, Shockm, HCGM is on record saying that Burton is a 1 and a 3. Said he doesn't shoot 3s well enough to be a 2 yet.

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        I should re-phrase that comment. Burton isn’t a play making point guard. He is a very smart, solid player who doesn’t make many mistakes. He’s not overly quick but plays very solid defense. I like him a lot but he may fit batter at the 3 position if one takes a long view. I do like his ability to guard all positions and is a valuable positionless player defensively.

• I was only able to listen to the today's game, so I just went back and watched the recording and something really stuck out to me. Not one time did Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler clap when one of his teammates scored or stand up in excitement when the rest of the bench was on their feet after a big bucket.

I understand that he's not getting PT and maybe he's not happy about that, but to me, that came across as not being a very good teammate and maybe that has something to do with him not playing.

Just thought I'd share.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
        I was only able to listen to the today's game, so I just went back and watched the recording and something really stuck out to me. Not one time did Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler clap when one of his teammates scored or stand up in excitement when the rest of the bench was on their feet after a big bucket.

I understand that he's not getting PT and maybe he's not happy about that, but to me, that came across as not being a very good teammate and maybe that has something to do with him not playing.

Just thought I'd share.
        3G had mentioned previously that at least one of his guys was pouting when relegated to the scout team and that he would find out that won't fly. Don't know for sure if Poor Bear was the guy but your observations provide some fodder that he might be.

Comment

• Poor Bear reminds me of a young JT Durley. Not sure he will be accorded the time to develop that JT was.
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPruett2333 View Post
            I was only able to listen to the today's game, so I just went back and watched the recording and something really stuck out to me. Not one time did Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler clap when one of his teammates scored or stand up in excitement when the rest of the bench was on their feet after a big bucket.

Just thought I'd share.
            Plus, he was late to get qualified and not here during that time with his teammates. I don’t know how the process works, but that struck me as odd as well.

Maybe he’s just a quiet kid, but I’d rather have someone you need to dail-back than dial-up. Chance and Teddy aren’t playing, but they are still into it.

*****DISCLAIMER*****: This is NOT a personal indictment of IPBC’s life on or off the court!! Just a very simple, very undetailed, and very uninformed observation from and outside perspective!!!!
            Last edited by Shock Top; November 17, 2018, 12:12 PM.
            The Assman

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              He really struggled to qualify. Spent a post grad year at Sunrise and still had to take summer school to get into college. That should tell you something.

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Happy with the W. It was against a mid-level Sun Belt team. But again we'll take wins whenever we can get them.

JB is just a solid player. He doesn't look like a freshman. I feel very comfortable with the ball in his hands. JE played some great minutes. Scoring, passing, and pulling down boards, but man he needs to catch passes better. MM carried us. I hope this is the consistent Marcus. I want him to be the leader that he wants to be. On a sidenote, as a leader, I wish he'd high-five his teammates more and help them off the floor. He can lead but he also needs to know he's on a team also. I've kinda stated my piece on SHJ. Just too many shots and too many misses. He probably misses more than he should because most of his shots are terrible. They're essentially turnovers. He's good for about 7-10 of those a game. Just not good. He just can't be gobbling up this many minutes. If he'd focus more on passing the ball and stop JUCOing it up every time he touches the ball, he'd be an asset on this team. As it stands, he is not.

Oh and we need Teddy. Huggy Bear lost again to WKU tonight so he's probably still a grump bear.

Really would be nice to beat Bama. I'd feel pretty good about the team, considering all it's up against right now, if we were 3-2 at this point.
            And #4 is not a very good traffic player. He looks like a pretzel sometimes.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Samajae seems to have overcome his anxiety issues and that is a good thing and hopefully that continues. But he has another affliction that he is still dealing with. The Juco-itis in him is strong and needs be be exorcised. 3G may have to sacrifice a live chicken. The sooner, the better. Samajae certainly has the skills to help this team if efficiently deployed.

Comment

• Low sample size and could be a coincidence but it’s interesting that the two Sunrise players are at the end of the bench.

Comment

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  At least one of them will break through. I am guessing it will be Chance. He showed enough in three minutes to show upside with a couple of small corrections on defense.

The good news for Chance is that the issues were not effort related. I kind of figure he will be a tough stallion to break, but it will be worth it in the end.

• Samajae is a hot topic. Yes he tries to do too much offensively. That’s fair. I believe Conner Frankamp has a similar shooting issue during the first semester of his junior year, and honestly they are similar players...scoring PGs. Joe Ragland was also a scoring PG, and I believe he was a horrible shooter during his junior year. Maybe SHJs slump will continue (sample size is plenty large) or maybe he will start making buckets. SHJ is a poor shooter when compared to the rest of the team, but let’s take a look at the options to take his minutes:

Ricky Torres is 2-8 from the field and 0-5 from the field.

Erik Stevenson is shooting 34% from the field and 30% from 3. Literally 1% better from the field and equal from 3. Statistically equal.

Jamarius Burton shoots well from the field, but is 0-1 on the year from 3...he can’t shoot.

So, at the 1 JB is probably the best initial option, followed by SHJ. Torres is not ready for prime time just yet.

At the 2, SHJ and ES have equivalent offensive efficiencies. ES is a much better rebounder, but SHJ is our assist leader with roughly the same assists per 40 as JB. Defensively, SHJ is probably ahead of ES right now, so SHJ is option 1 and ES is option 2.

Now, if DD can stay out of foul trouble, you can probably keep JB at the 1 more and SHJ can decrease his minutes and increase his efficiency.

Hopefully all all these guys improve their offensive efficiency, because it’s pretty terrible at the 1/2 right now. Just because SHJ plays the most minutes doesn’t mean that he’s the reason behind the problem.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  moved

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have to stop you on your first line... CF and SHJ are not similar players. CF almost always made the right basketball play... it may not have created a shot, but his passing was always very good within the offense. He often made the that set-up the assist (hockey assist).

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  With that said, i have to agree with your overall conclusion.

• McDuffie is killing it offensively this year. His numbers right now put him first team all-conference. Hopefully he maintains that level. He’s only averaging 3 boards per game right now, but he was our leading rebounder as a siphomore (5.7). He needs to grab an extra 2 boards per game with his minutes and maintain his shooting percentages, and he will carry this team a long way.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  Samajae is a hot topic. Yes he tries to do too much offensively. That’s fair. I believe Conner Frankamp has a similar shooting issue during the first semester of his junior year, and honestly they are similar players...scoring PGs. Joe Ragland was also a scoring PG, and I believe he was a horrible shooter during his junior year. Maybe SHJs slump will continue (sample size is plenty large) or maybe he will start making buckets. SHJ is a poor shooter when compared to the rest of the team, but let’s take a look at the options to take his minutes:

Erik Stevenson is shooting 34% from the field and 30% from 3. Literally 1% better from the field and equal from 3. Statistically equal.

Jamarius Burton shoots well from the field, but is 0-1 on the year from 3...he can’t shoot.

So, at the 1 JB is probably the best initial option, followed by SHJ. Torres is not ready for prime time just yet.

At the 2, SHJ and ES have equivalent offensive efficiencies. ES is a much better rebounder, but SHJ is our assist leader with roughly the same assists per 40 as JB. Defensively, SHJ is probably ahead of ES right now, so SHJ is option 1 and ES is option 2.

Now, if DD can stay out of foul trouble, you can probably keep JB at the 1 more and SHJ can decrease his minutes and increase his efficiency.

Hopefully all all these guys improve their offensive efficiency, because it’s pretty terrible at the 1/2 right now. Just because SHJ plays the most minutes doesn’t mean that he’s the reason behind the problem.
                  Are there any statistics out there that measure bad shots?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• SHJ better than ES defensively ??? ES shut down Davidson' star guard while the other one went off for
                    33 with SHJ guarding him most of the time. ES is a FAR better defensive player than SHJ. You saw which one
                    GM took out the last possession against App st. Having said that I truly hope SHJ gets things figured out and
                    starts moving the ball around better. He is someone who should be able to use his quickness to move
                    without the ball to get open shots for himself. Wish them BOTH success !

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      SHJ better than ES defensively ??? ES shut down Davidson' star guard while the other one went off for
                      33 with SHJ guarding him most of the time. ES is a FAR better defensive player than SHJ. You saw which one
                      GM took out the last possession against App st. Having said that I truly hope SHJ gets things figured out and
                      starts moving the ball around better. He is someone who should be able to use his quickness to move
                      This is highly debatable
                      Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        Samajae is a hot topic. Yes he tries to do too much offensively. That’s fair. I believe Conner Frankamp has a similar shooting issue during the first semester of his junior year, and honestly they are similar players...scoring PGs. Joe Ragland was also a scoring PG, and I believe he was a horrible shooter during his junior year. Maybe SHJs slump will continue (sample size is plenty large) or maybe he will start making buckets. SHJ is a poor shooter when compared to the rest of the team, but let’s take a look at the options to take his minutes:
                        Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        Originally posted by wufan View Post

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        SHJ better than ES defensively ??? ES shut down Davidson' star guard while the other one went off for
                        ES is 2nd in rebounding (and it's not close), 1st in steals, 3rd in assists (while not playing the PG), 2nd in blocks and SHJ and he are a push in shooting and TOs.

ES is doing this as a true freshman in his first 4 games and SHJ is starting his 2nd year with the Shocks as a senior.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          SHJ did shoot .438 from 3 last year.

• ShockerFever
                          ShockerFever commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Against SWAC competition.

• ShockerFever
                          ShockerFever commented
                          Editing a comment
                          wufan, let's give ES another 50 shots to catch up with SHJ and see if his percentage comes up or not.
                      Working...
                      X