Players auditioning for team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players auditioning for team?

"If P.J. is in, then we still probably make some decisions," Marshall said. "With the way we're playing, it's kind of an audition. Some guys are trying out for the team. Some guys are trying out for the starting lineup."
    I know this article is being discussed about PJ, but what about this comment?

Sounds like my prediction of wholesale changes might be coming true.

purely imo but it has nothing to do with "your off the team"

Hes saying who wants to play and who doesnt.

Do you want to be a backup or do you want to be a star.

Do you want to be second fiddle or the top dog?

Comment

All he is saying is that no one is "safe" on this team and every player should feel like they have something to prove. Regardless, I don't think you are going to see whole sale changes for a couple of reasons: (1) I just don't think Marshall has that many options; and (2) I do think players like PJ, PT, MB and RC will rise to Marshall's challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
        All he is saying is that no one is "safe" on this team and every player should feel like they have something to prove. Regardless, I don't think you are going to see whole sale changes for a couple of reasons: (1) I just don't think Marshall has that many options; and (2) I do think players like PJ, PT, MB and RC will rise to Marshall's challenge.
        My wholesale changes are who is and isn't on scholarship next year. That's what I'm referring to. I know he doesn't have that many options this year, but he has alot for next if he doesn't have some of the current scholarships taken up by players that aren't working out.

Comment

Based upon gut feeling only, I suspect there will be several players, who will not return.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
            Based upon gut feeling only, I suspect there will be several players, who will not return.
            i feel the same.
            ________
            An1X
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

I thought this topic would be about a possible WSU version of "Knight School"

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                Originally posted by Maggie
                My wholesale changes are who is and isn't on scholarship next year. That's what I'm referring to. I know he doesn't have that many options this year, but he has alot for next if he doesn't have some of the current scholarships taken up by players that aren't working out.
                I understood what you were saying and in a broader context, I agree with you. It is becoming increasingly clear that Marshall does not have the type of players he needs to make his system effective. I think it is very likely that Marshall will ask certain players on the team now to leave – next year. It happens all the time with a new coach. WSU is, after all, over the scholarship limit. I just don't think that Marshall was looking that far forward. I took his comments to mean that everyone is being reevaluated – who will start and who will play is up in the air. Marshall wants to win now and I don't think he is thinking all that much about next year.

Comment

The following is my opinion. It is not based on any specific or general information I might have about WSU Athletics and represents a concern I have had since Turgeon left.

Marshall coached at a lower level before coming to WSU, illustrated by his lack of success in the NCAA tourney (i.e. one victory and 6-8 defeats). At this lower level, one might be successful by overcoming a lack of ability or size with effort (e.g. "hustle"). When one's team gets to the NCAA tourney, this is not usually enough to obtain victory. At a higher level, the ability to shoot well and an emphasis of shooting in practice may be more important than "hustle". In addition, a structured half court offense may be important. In the UMKC-WSU game, WSU looked (to me) more like a lower level "hustle" team than a major level team (and UMKC was a better "hustle" team than was WSU). While MVC teams get to the Sweet 16 on a regular basis lately, Marshall's old conference rarely (never?) achieved this. I am curious about Marshall's practices (e.g. shooting drills or "hustle" drills).

I will be interested in seeing how Marshall's recruits do; I certainly want them to be successful. I suspect that Turgeon will get better recruits at TAMU and he will be able to successfully use them in his system; I could see him winning a national title at TAMU if he keeps getting good players (like DeAndre Jordan).
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I'll bet Clemente is back, and Ellis and Griskenis and Durley.

Comment

Obviously Ramon, JT, Mantas, and Aarons will be back. Don't know about Wendell, and Graham willl be be back though.

Comment

Obviously strikes me as a pretty strong word.

Comment

Why do you think JT and Ramon could possibly be on their way out?

Comment

IMO, Wendell has never been the same since MT left. I think he took it personally, and I think it would have been best for him to leave as well. I just dont see the same intensity in him like he did when he played under MT. Just my opinion.
                            ________
                            Gm foods
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Spangler, I'm not 100% sure what point you are driving at, but having watched Winthrop play in person twice (once in our Sweet Sixteen year when they should have beaten Tenn. and once in the USVI this year) I did not conclude that Marshall's teams lacked the athleticism or talent to compete in the MVC. They were a first round winner last year, beating a higher seeded ND team.

I also think Marshall will be able to recruit a higher level, perhaps a much higher level, player to WSU than he could to Winthrop. He has a lot more to sell here, including, at least this year, playing time.

In regard to the half court offense, I think Marshall's system has those out the wazoo. If you are not seeing it this year, I think it's more of a factor of new players not running it yet. Frankly, I think that will also be a factor next year, given that we will probably have at least six new players, and perhaps more.

I look for the 09-10 year to be a good year for Shocker basketball.
                              Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Working...
                              X