How does this story go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this story go?

Which scenario do you consider most likely?

Kentucky 2014: A very talented, very deep, very raw team grows and gels as the season goes on. The overall record won't turn heads, but by the end of the year, Marshall has another monster.

Changing of the Guard: The seniors are who they are, but a new core (Burton, Stevenson, Echenique?) step up. Coach Marshall hands them the keys soon enough to produce a solidly winning record.

Regression (Upward) to the Mean: Samajae and Markis keep getting a ton of minutes and taking a ton of shots, but they fall at a reasonable rate. Free throws improve. Asbjorn makes some layups. It turns out two games is a small sample; we're still looking at the upper-middle-of-the-pack, bubble-team season we expected.

Blind Leading the Blind: Samajae and Markis fail to set any helpful example, and none of the younger kids have the experience to teach the others. Without the institutional memory built up over a decade of strong, overlapping classes at every position, the kids never really get the schemes learned and it's well into next season before a new culture and ethic develop.

How Green Was My Valley: It turns out we got more credit in the media than we deserved. Our recruits rated well because WSU finally had a reputation, but it was wishful thinking; these guys are truly mid-major 2-stars. We win a few when someone lights it up Evansville-style, but that's the ceiling.

90's-Style Implosion: The team can't win and can't handle losing. We get internal conflict, dropouts, mid-season transfers.
    Kentucky 2014
    4.65%
    Changing of the Guard
    18.60%
    Regression (Upward) to the Mean
    37.21%
    Blind Leading the Blind
    39.53%
    How Green Was My Valley
    0%
    90's-Style Implosion
    0%

I think Burton will move to the point. Maybe we will see Torres be the backup and possibly Samajae at the two guards spot. I think Samajae needs to play a position that best suits him, and PG is not that position. JMO.

Comment

I am still in HCGM's corner; he has the talent to forge this Shocker roster into a formidable MBB team. I am excited to learn who will start against Providence - IMO the starting lineup will include both JB and ES.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
        I am still in HCGM's corner; he has the talent to forge this Shocker roster into a formidable MBB team. I am excited to learn who will start against Providence - IMO the starting lineup will include both JB and ES.
        I am right there with you. We just have to get some smart play from our seniors. HCGM will always have my vote. I believe he will get this team on track sooner or later. The talent is there for sure.

Comment

Surely, nobody expected a bubble team.

Comment

• BOBB
            BOBB commented
            Editing a comment
            CBI Bubble

We might be on the bubble of the bubble. Or we might fold. Its complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Surely, nobody expected a bubble team.
            Lots of media members did, including Joe Lunardi.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

From what I saw last night, in the moments when espn3 wasn't crapping out, we'll be lucky to win 10 games.

Comment

Just so glad we're not stuck in mid-major Valleyland anymore. If that were the case, then yes, I'd be in major depression mode.

As it is, this is a blip with a couple of bad timing issues. Some people need to get a grip.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I haven't experienced a ShockerNet post-game meltdown in over 5 years. The culture on here has really changed during that time. People need to get some freaking perspective. I've actually read comments questioning Marshall's competence - that is seriously over the top. This is the greatest coach in the history of our program and we are damn lucky to have him. If he goes .500 this year that fact still remains. We have a team full of talented newbies that are playing scared, that's going to change.

It appears we have a forum full of newbies as well... that needs to change.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Sorry to relate an old memory, but I will never forget being in STL after WSU lost to Ill St (I think) in a MVC semi-final the year they ended up winning the NIT. I was in a STL restaurant and there were credible? fans calling for Marshall's head then . . .

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                      I haven't experienced a ShockerNet post-game meltdown in over 5 years. The culture on here has really changed during that time. People need to get some freaking perspective. I've actually read comments questioning Marshall's competence - that is seriously over the top. This is the greatest coach in the history of our program and we are damn lucky to have him. If he goes .500 this year that fact still remains. We have a team full of talented newbies that are playing scared, that's going to change.

It appears we have a forum full of newbies as well... that needs to change.

T

...:cool:
                      Run em out of Dodge, Cold!

Comment

This board has streaks of craziness. Marshall is the GOAT. We lost Nurger for this year because he had to but his Redshirt, Landry is a 76’er and Reaves left. It’s going to take awhile for the young guys to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by top20shock View Post
                          This board has streaks of craziness. Marshall is the GOAT. We lost Nurger for this year because he had to but his Redshirt, Landry is a 76’er and Reaves left. It’s going to take awhile for the young guys to learn.
                          Don't forget about A-Lo.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Sam Axe
                            Sam Axe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I was thinking of that exact point this morning.

This young team has talent no doubt. The keep working hard each and every day and get some wins under their belt...they'll become more and more confident. By the time the Conference games start...Marshall will have them cocked and loaded!!!

Then...it's gonna get real and nasty!!!! Go Shocks!!!!
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                          X