No announcement yet.

2018-19 Coaches Show with Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's just saying in the AAC you have to recruit even better players than before, and now they are at the caliber where they are getting bought off by P5 schools. It wasn't a slight at any AAC school.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      I was interrupted a couple times. Was he asked how the recruiting trip went?
      I don't recall him talking about it

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        He's just saying in the AAC you have to recruit even better players than before, and now they are at the caliber where they are getting bought off by P5 schools. It wasn't a slight at any AAC school.
        Got it thanks. Just seems 7 straight NCAA trips playing in front of sold-out home crowds every night in a highly respectable conference while putting guys in the NBA should be good enough to land a bunch of talented players. But what do I know...the world has gone mad.
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          If I had to guess, I'd say we have a better shot at the east coast guys now (due to all the games we play there), which is fertile recruiting ground.

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post

Got it thanks. Just seems 7 straight NCAA trips playing in front of sold-out home crowds every night in a highly respectable conference while putting guys in the NBA should be good enough to land a bunch of talented players. But what do I know...the world has gone mad.
        That's fine and dandy...
        but so is 100k

Comment

• shoxlax
          shoxlax commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point but part of the reason 3G doesn’t even mess with top 25 players. Go after the 75-150 range with an occasional steal in the 150 and beyond category. Use jucos and transfers to balance out the classes. Keep our assistants intact for a couple of years and that is very doable. Tyson is a fantastic recruiter, better than anyone he replaced.

We talk about the talent in the AAC which is high quality but here is my question that I’m too lazy to look up: It seems like a lot of our conference has loaded up on D-1 transfers, both undergrad and grad. Does anyone have that number in terms of percentage of players in our league?

Point being, it seems like an abnormally large substitute or compliment in this league for teams that have not won the Top 150 battles very often. The guy that wants to play up but teams like Duke aren’t recruiting and the occasional guy that wasn’t a good P5 fit for whatever reason.

Long post (normally not my style) but this has driven me crazy since I started looking at team rosters last fall—is it the way of the league in the future or just odd circumstances?

• OregonShocker
          OregonShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          shoxlax Good question; seems that transferring/transfers are the new norm. Start out equal as Frosh; if you don't progress fast enough, move on to a better opportunity for playing time. It's even part of our history. Not always bad for either party; we've benefited from Oregon transfers, Texas Tech transfers, etc. Seems to be the wave of the future, but reinforces that kids aren't enthralled with playing for any particular "program" anymore.

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

That's fine and dandy...
        but so is 100k
        To my point above, maybe we need poachers and not recruiters

Comment

• So the FBI indictments didn't do s#%t??? Well that sucks...
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• molly jabali
            molly jabali commented
            Editing a comment
            Several schools in the area still have their entire staffs....

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          So the FBI indictments didn't do s#%t??? Well that sucks...
          A few players lost eligibilities so all is forgiven.

Comment

• KU post players can't seem to stay eligible ....:) OR GET ELIGIBLE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
              KU post players can't seem to stay eligible ....:) OR GET ELIGIBLE!!!!
              That's because KU is constantly being victimized. All these rogue players doing things to hurt KU without anyone at KU having a single shred of knowledge about it! ... Poor Poor KU.

Comment

• nm
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Let's face it, cheating pays for some. The top 'blue-blood' programs have cheated forever. Some get their hand slapped and then they're quickly back to cheating. If a so-called mid-major or non P5 program gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar, they get the book thrown at them. You only have to look 162.4 miles northeast for one of the best examples. They were cheating before Wilt Chamberlain, but took it to a new level when they recruited him. It wasn't a well kept secret and many long time KU fans wear it like a badge of honor. The stories that have been told would rattle an old man's dentures. There's a film about his time in Lawrence and how it changed the university... of course they left out most of the cheating stories.

'Jayhawkers' Depicts Wilt Chamberlain's Lasting Effect On KU And Lawrence, KS

Don't miss the trailer; watch and listen closely...

Jayhawkers, a new independent film, brings the legend of famed 7-foot 1 basketball player, Wilt Chamberlain back to life. The movie, co-written and…

Wilt fell in love with automobiles while at Kansas in the late 50's :); here's his 'slick' '58 Old's Convertible... of course it was purchased by the Globetrotters following his departure from KU (wink wink).

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• 150946shox
                    150946shox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hope nobody in the American cheats. I hope nobody in the state of Kansas cheats. Needless to say, I, like most of you have my suspicions and concerns.

I am convinced that Coach Marshall runs a clean program. I believe that he refuses to cheat and that he makes certain that his staff understands his convictions.

Coach Marshall’s comments obviously indicate that he knows it is happening. It does not necessarily say he thinks another American team is cheating. It doesn’t necessarily mean another team from out state is cheating. I don’t know and I doubt that any of you do either.

I’m just happy to know that our program is clean and will be so as long as Coach Marshall is here.

• OregonShocker
                    OregonShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Even with that conviction, which I share, it is difficult to read about the FVV accusations. (Anyone have new info on that, BTW?)

• WSUwatcher
                    WSUwatcher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nothing new here, Oregon; but it certainly wasn't cheating by WSU unless they knew about it and let Fred keep playing anyway, which is about as likely as having a palm tree sprout tomorrow in front of CKA. That was Fred's own unfortunate (if not entirely surprising, given his financial circumstances -- a further indication that WSU wasn't doing anything extra for him, by the way) choice. I'm still a big Fred fan, by the way -- but he got this one wrong.
                    Last edited by WSUwatcher; February 26, 2019, 12:00 PM. Reason: typo

• REMINDER: Coaches Show Tonight (02/25/19) at 6:00pm

The Gregg Marshall Radio Show returns to the airwaves, Monday, Feb. 25th. Join Coach Marshall LIVE from 6-7 p.m. every Monday at AJ's Sports Grill at The Alley, or listen to the show on KNSS (98.7 FM / 1330 AM). The show is rebroadcast in a television format Mondays at 9 p.m. on YurView Kansas (Cox 2022).

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Let's face it, cheating pays for some. The top 'blue-blood' programs have cheated forever. Some get their hand slapped and then they're quickly back to cheating. If a so-called mid-major or non P5 program gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar, they get the book thrown at them. You only have to look 162.4 miles northeast for one of the best examples. They were cheating before Wilt Chamberlain, but took it to a new level when they recruited him. It wasn't a well kept secret and many long time KU fans wear it like a badge of honor. The stories that have been told would rattle an old man's dentures. There's a film about his time in Lawrence and how it changed the university... of course they left out most of the cheating stories.

'Jayhawkers' Depicts Wilt Chamberlain's Lasting Effect On KU And Lawrence, KS

Don't miss the trailer; watch and listen closely...

Jayhawkers, a new independent film, brings the legend of famed 7-foot 1 basketball player, Wilt Chamberlain back to life. The movie, co-written and…

Wilt fell in love with automobiles while at Kansas in the late 50's :); here's his 'slick' '58 Old's Convertible... of course it was purchased by the Globetrotters following his departure from KU (wink wink).

I also hopes no one cheats in the AAC, but IF someone does....

It's Memphis.

And 100% Tulane does NOT, or they ought to crush their bag man for his choices!!!:)

Comment

• If you have the Radio.com app on your phone, you can subscribe to Sports for KNSS to get the podcast. There isn't any way that I've found to search for the podcast, so you'll have to browse. Just click on the Podcasts bottom at the bottom, then click on the Discover tab. Scroll down to Browse by Category and click Sports & Recreation. The Podcasts are not in any particular order, so keep scrolling until you see the KNSS icon with name Sports to its right. I had to scroll around 35 times or so to get to it. You can also browse for Wichita State Basketball if you want to subscribe to that, too.

Comment

• "We couldn't stop Teddy in practice today"

"we gotta get more DUDES"

"UConn has 3 or 4 McDonald's All-Americans"
                        Last edited by pinstripers; February 25, 2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• WstateU
                          WstateU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’d take a couple of ‘Five Guys’ All-Americans at this point.

• Chubs
                          Chubs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wouldn't Five Guy's All Americans be the one and done type players? That place is way better and costs way more.

• WstateU
                          WstateU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          https://media.giphy.com/media/rTymW9zdd3Yju/giphy.gif
                      Working...
                      X