No announcement yet.

2018-19 Coaches Show with Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been thinking that next year's So class needs to be down to 3 or 4 guys by the time they're Sr's. That's starting to look like a probability. Between this year and next year it can be done fairly gracefully.

Sounds like Marshall is dedicated to shaving, but is going to switch from the recently used electric to a straight edge and a leather strop.

The "perfect storm" of graduation, early NBA exit, a trfr, and the loss of 2 key assistants, followed by a huge recruiting class that (so far) has not shown much on the court that lives up to their pre-signing publicity should be expected to take a toll.

I never consider first-year players as significant contributors. JuCo's can make it second semester, but Fr need an entire year.

I know the Fr on the roster were thrown into the deep end the day they arrived on campus. I know that can affect their confidence and psyche. It doesn't give them a chance to learn and work their way on to the court as they adjust and pick things up. With all that in mind, I don't see any of this crop of Fr who are remotely close to FVV, Baker, Shamet, or McDuffie. Those guys were all showing signs of what they were going to do by this time in their careers. Baker wasn't because he was wearing a cast, but what he did on the F4 run MORE than showed he was well ahead of this group of Fr.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• pie n eye
      pie n eye commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if the fact that the Valley/NCAA tourney was at the end of Baker’s redshirt Freshman season, meaning he’d been on the team almost two years, made any difference?

• rjl
      rjl commented
      Editing a comment
      None of those past newcomers had the pressure of carrying a team their first year, though. They'd come in off the bench, get set up for an open 3 or two, and they weren't the focus of any defender because the defenders had all they could handle with the upperclassmen. We were also playing the Drakes, Evansvilles, and Loyolas of the world, which made it easy to build confidence and get into a winning rhythm.

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      The current Fr aren't the focus of any defenders and it's BECAUSE there's a scouting report on them.

• I really don't want to see major turnover two years in a row, after witnessing the ravages of just one year of it. A consecutive turnover year like this one could be devastating.

Comment

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      Keeping some of these players that are Scott Thompson level players could be devastating.

Counting Teddy, there are 5, maybe 6, players that I would bring back.

• ShockingButTrue
      ShockingButTrue commented
      Editing a comment
      Another year of this type of basketball and all WSU will be able to recruit is S. Thompson type players. This freshmen class could develop.

• Who would I bring back? Let's see here

13 scholarship players?

We lose 2 so does that mean we are over with 3 commits coming in?

I'd cut either Midtgaard or Torres. The Big Dane has shown flashes but I don't think he justifies a scholarship for next year, or Torres because he will be a senior next year, and having Burton, along with Tyson coming in, I don't see a role for him where he gets over 10 minutes a game.

The rest you have to bring back to give them a second chance to prove themselves.

Comment

• RoyalShock
      RoyalShock commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe we have 12 scholarship players after the departure of Chance Moore:

McDuffie
      Haynes-Jones
      Echenique
      Torres
      Midtgaard
      Brown
      Dennis
      Burton
      Stevenson
      Udeze
      Chandler
      Allen

With the two departing seniors that leaves three open scholarship for the three signed recruits.

• FadedCrown
      FadedCrown commented
      Editing a comment
      RoyalShock Forgot about him, thanks

• rjl
      rjl commented
      Editing a comment
      The guys I'm hoping will come back are Echenique, Dennis, Burton, Stevenson, Udeze, and Allen.

• I like defense as much as the next guy, but I want guys that can score the ball. Landry, Reaves and Conner were all average or below average defenders. Shaq was below average until his junior or senior year. I’d take more guys like these than guards that can defend but can’t shoot (not saying our guys are great defenders either).

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
      Shocktoberfest commented
      Editing a comment
      Which is why, on a certain level, it's too bad that Chance didn't buy in. As HCGM once said, Chance is really good at the hard part, scoring, but not very good at the easier part, playing defense. One you can teach, the other is God given talent, plus reps. Some players will never be good scorers. It's just not in them.

• To Faded Crown - cut AM ? You are one of a few that keep suggesting it. For someone who likes
    to site stats a lot you seemed to have missed that AM has the highest FG % on the team. Coach has
    commented that he is an excellent screener and passer which are important intangibles that don't show
    up on your stat sheets. AM is one of six core players I really REALLY hope come back in tact
    ( AM, JE, ES, DD, JB and TA ). Those six with the 3 frosh coming in will be a solid nine. Still want
    MU to consider a RS year.

Comment

• rjl
      rjl commented
      Editing a comment
      Coach has also commented that AM can't play with his back to the basket, which is a crucial element in the game for a good 7' post.

I mean, AM missed some easy, easy bunnies the last two games. I wouldn't go around touting his FG% after that.

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    TAM is one of six core players I really REALLY hope come back in tact
    ( AM, JE, ES, DD, JB and TA ). Those six with the 3 frosh coming in will be a solid nine. Still want
    MU to consider a RS year.
    I'm not as high on JB but recognize that we need someone that can handle the ball. I just think as time goes on, his size/skill combo lends him to become a role player from the bench. I want guys that can compete for starting spots. Agree on the MU redshirt, I want him back. I also don't want to write off IPBC. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but he has the size and skill that would be useful if 3G can get him pointed in the right direction. He reminds me a bit of Shaq and Durley - big guys that might just be a bit lazy and need to grow up and not waste their God given talents.

Comment

• JB just needs to work on his outside shot to be valuable. He has a good skill set otherwise. None of our guards have superior quickness.

Comment

• Dan
        Dan
        WuShock Head Coach
        2 hours ago
        I like defense as much as the next guy, but I want guys that can score the ball. Landry, Reaves and Conner were all average or below average defenders. Shaq was below average until his junior or senior year. I’d take more guys like these than guards that can defend but can’t shoot (not saying our guys are great defenders either).
        1 comment

• Shocktoberfest
          #154.1
          Shocktoberfest commented
          1 hour ago
          Which is why, on a certain level, it's too bad that Chance didn't buy in. As HCGM once said, Chance is really good at the hard part, scoring, but not very good at the easier part, playing defense. One you can teach, the other is God given talent, plus reps. Some players will never be good scorers. It's just not in them.
        Sorry guys, but what you are proposing is exactly what got us the softness we saw last year. Chance Moore would just be more of the same. Of course last year's performance is MUCH better than this years... but last year was MUCH worse than anything in the prior 5. Last year we saw the cracks appear in a system that has brought us more success than we've seen in 35 years. This year was some of those same cracks rupturing with abject weakness flooding into every corner of the program.

Wichita State basketball under Gregg Marshall is: DEFENSE FIRST. We build our offense OFF our defense. When we start to break our opponents down mentally, the easy buckets start coming. HCGM's system has never been about high-octane offense first - going toe-to-toe with our adversaries. Every game we played during the "Golden Years" where we allowed our opponent to get comfortable, we got into trouble. Thankfully it didn't happen often. Our M.O. has always been to shake the tree with the force of a category 8 earthquake before we commenced scooping the ripe fruit off the ground.

People on this board should watch some of our games from 2013-16 for a refresher. Perceptions and expectations are becoming skewed - poisoned from the mediocrity we've endured for two seasons now.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
          I was able to catch the repeat on Cox 22. Listen to the podcast

GM is a man in charge and he ain't messin' around. He will win and he is clearly going to get more personally involved in the recruiting and all other aspects of his team. (reference to Midnight Run)

I think he is more than a little flummoxed on who his assistants recruited. Maybe that is the reason for some of the assistant's departures, though there are lots of reasons. I am sure he does not understand how the program gave scholarships to players who are overwhelmed or don't get it. He is not going to coddle anyone.

This is a guy who is not mailing it in. He could give two shits about $3 million. He wants to win and he is embarrassed on the performance up to date.

I will never forget the wonderful Scot Thompson on the radio show saying game after game. "Mike . . . Mike . . . we just . . . we just aren't very good right now."

That was not GM tonight. He is very transparent. He wants good players who will be coached and if they listen to him, his teams win. Period. If they don't buy into eveything he is saying, they will not play for him. He is a clear leader and I love leaders like this. There is nothing complicated or really nothing to interpret. Either they players can perform AND they buy in, or they don't.

He is a CEO thank thinks he delegated way too much to his VPs and he is pulling back control.

This coaches show gave me confidence for the future.

Don't F with GM . If I am a player on this roster I would get on board ASAP - you won't regret it.
          That sounds like great news! Would love to have heard Marshall speak with some of the "old fire". Back in the "old days" there was no woe is me sad faces coming from the coaching staff, it was all, "This will be fixed - and sooner rather than later." You could set your watch by the steps of improvement that soon followed. All action; very little talk.

T

Comment

• If Chandler doesn't return, then you can't redshirt Mo. A bigger worry is not who you run off, but who runs off.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              We've never had that worry before in the history of Gregg Marshall and Wichita State. What strange times we are living in.

T

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            If Chandler doesn't return, then you can't redshirt Mo. A bigger worry is not who you run off, but who runs off.
            I think Chandler has an AAC body equipped to bang. Brady for Houston was having to earn it when Chandler was in the game. I think he could he could be good and one day "get it." Sooner rather than later at that.

Comment

• Unless we find a no-brainer, I hope none of the bigs we have are run off or choose to run off. They’ve all shown to be serviceable with the potential to be great, imo.

Comment

• Poor Bear can ball... Just depends if he can do it Marshalls system... Only thing that I think is alarming is having back to back sessions of high player turnover... But I'm just a blogger on a fan site. The way Marshall sounded when talking about the TBT announcement, he wished he could have a few, some.. Maybe all of the Shocker TBT roster available for tomorrow's game. Yikes

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Marshall pushing buttons... :)

• MikeKennedyRulZ
                  MikeKennedyRulZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wish we could have some of those guys too. They knew what it took to win and wanted to buy in.

• Originally posted by choida View Post
                Poor Bear can ball... Just depends if he can do it Marshalls system... Only thing that I think is alarming is having back to back sessions of high player turnover... But I'm just a blogger on a fan site. The way Marshall sounded when talking about the TBT announcement, he wished he could have a few, some.. Maybe all of the Shocker TBT roster available for tomorrow's game. Yikes
                Not following . .. TBT?

Comment

• The Basketball Tournament.

Comment

Working...
                  X