2018-19 Coaches Show with Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
    Because we do not like to give up our biases.
    I am having some trouble uploading a GIF. What is the secret?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by ABC; December 3, 2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Coach reminds everyone that he doesn’t play guys with two fouls to start the second half. He takes
    more minutes away from his best players than any referee crew could. He has to realize that hurts us more than helps us.

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      There is nothing magical about halftime.

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe there is nothing magical about halftime but then how do you explain the disappearance of the Shocker team that played the 1st half with a bunch uninspired, somewhat hapless bunch of doppelgangers in the 2nd half.

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      Starting the half with your best player on the bench.

Just to clarify and add some context; he says he doesn’t do it if they start the half on offense. He feels like the refs talk during halftime about cleaning things up and setting a precedent with a quick whistle. He doesn’t want our guys to pick up a cheap one from that.
    Last edited by 1989; December 3, 2018, 10:54 PM.

Comment

1989 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I’ll support Gregg Marshall’s coaching philosophies over yours.

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      Fair enough - It “works” for him, but I can give you examples of coaches with National Titles in their trophy case who disagree with triple G.

We rarely get guys with four fouls which demonstrates the amount of conservatism and thus minutes HCGM takes-away from his best players.

The strategy has rarely come back to bite WSU, but it has made WSU less dominant than it could have been.

1989 commented
      Editing a comment
      Most if not all of those coaches you are thinking of probably get better players than coach Marshall. How many guys who have gotten the level of talent Marshall has gotten been as or more successful than him? Clearly this man knows what he is doing. I’m not saying he is perfect, but his way has been proven to work for this program.

Coach mentioned something about SHJ receiving all-conference honors mention for his performance Saturday night? Glad to see the local kid make good.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
      Coach mentioned something about SHJ receiving all-conference honors mention for his performance Saturday night? Glad to see the local kid make good.
      Haynes-Jones Named to American Honor Roll

Comment

Damn. I forgot.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Watch it on Cox 2022 at 9pm... assuming you’re a Cox sucker?

Originally posted by ABC View Post

I am having some trouble uploading a GIF. What is the secret?
        Try unchecking "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" if you are using the picture icon.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

So...that was it? Nothing else of substance from GGG? Didn’t get a chance to listen.

Comment

What’s up with this schedule anyway? Is this three weeks in a row with no midweek game? Driving me crazy! It’s hard to get through a week with only the coaches show to keep my attention.

Comment

• shockerofandover0943
              shockerofandover0943 commented
              Editing a comment
              We go nearly 2 weeks without a game after VCU. It’s been a weird schedule. 5 games over the first 12 calendar days. Followed by 7 games between November 25 - January 2.

• kcshocker11
              kcshocker11 commented
              Editing a comment
              We need time tp prepare.Lots of time!

• WSUwatcher
              WSUwatcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Very true, kc11 -- at this point, the more practice time the better.

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
            What’s up with this schedule anyway? Is this three weeks in a row with no midweek game? Driving me crazy! It’s hard to get through a week with only the coaches show to keep my attention.
            Lots of factors...

--The college basketball season started a few days earlier this year (starting on a Tuesday as opposed to a Friday). I remember when it started mid/late November. Now it starts early November.

--I suppose that Thanksgiving being the earliest possible date also plays a factor (since our early-season tournament most always is around that holiday...Gregg didn't like the Christmas tournament in Hawaii a few years back).

--The particular MTE this year had all games at the tournament site...and we either chose not to or weren't able to play the fourth game of the tournament. Next year will be a bit easier since we will play just two games in Cancun and would have two campus games prior to the tournament. That will spread out the games a little bit.

--We also now play in a conference that plays the postseason tournament a week later than we are used to playing. Thus, the conference regular season schedule is pushed back a little bit. For whatever reason, our first conference game is January 3 this year, as opposed to December 30 last year. (This all said, the Valley season started around a similar time, so it just basically made more of a time crunch, not allowing for off dates like we have now within our conference schedule).

--Speaking of the calendar differences, it seems like Selection Sunday is the latest that it can be too. Last year, it was on March 11. This year, it is on March 17. Nothing sinister about that since I remember the 2013 Selection Show also being on March 17...just the way the calendar falls this year.

All those factors combined together make this seem like a LOONNNGGGG non-conference season.
            78-65

Comment

• Aargh
              Aargh commented
              Editing a comment
              And a LOONNNGGGG non-conference season is pretty much what this team needed the most. Get in a bunch of early games to see how the players react and get lots of film. Then start the real work of sculpting a team with a game a week to check on progress. Sounds like some damned intelligent scheduling.

P
            Originally posted by wheathead View Post
            So...that was it? Nothing else of substance from GGG? Didn’t get a chance to listen.
            Just listened to the replay at https://knss.radio.com/media/audio-c...-december-2018

My takeaway:

He’s pumped about this team. Said he was worried about being down 30 at this point in the season, so they’re ahead of schedule in their development.

Said Ricky is a good shooter and that when his shot starts falling this team is really going to take off. Said Ricky is an extremely cerebral player and understands the offense completely. Had high praise for Jaime, as well. Said both kids are delightful to work with and be around. He clearly loves both of those guys.

The Juco guys are the key to the team reaching its potential.
            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'”

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• shocker43
              shocker43 commented
              Editing a comment
              His tone in almost every post-game interview has been very optimistic and excited. I think he's happy to have a team that has bought-into the system again that are also very coachable.

I am not normally a fan of a week between games. With as young a team as we have, this time is very valuable. The coaching staff has many teaching opportunities, while the new players have the time to better understand the coaching message and practice time to commit it to memory.

Comment

REMINDER: COACHES SHOW TONIGHT (12/10/18) at 6:00pm

The Gregg Marshall Radio Show returns to the airwaves, Monday, Dec. 10th. Join Coach Marshall LIVE from 6-7 p.m. every Monday at AJ's Sports Grill at The Alley, or listen to the show on KFH (98.7 FM / 1330 AM). The show is rebroadcast in a television format Mondays at 9 p.m. on YurView Kansas (Cox 2022).

Comment

Do many of you ever go to the show? Never been...what is it like?

Comment

I might try to show up for tonight's show... Get your popcorn ready right?

Comment

Working...
                X