No announcement yet.

WSU Versus Louisiana Tech Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn’t we have a second exhibition game?

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
      Why didn’t we have a second exhibition game?
      Per NCAA rules, each team has the option of playing either two exhibition games, two closed scrimmages, or a combination of the two. We typically do one of each.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Jhook89
        Jhook89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks bud. Didn't know the rule.

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/

Wichita State favored by 9 points over Louisiana Tech
      26001.jpg
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        KenPom has the same with a 78% chance of winning.

Nolan has us at 13 favorite.
        Last edited by im4wsu; November 5, 2018, 04:40 PM.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Find out why WSU’s season-opening opponent will be ‘all we can handle’

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...221165260.html

“We’ve got to ratchet our mindset back a little bit,” Marshall said Monday. “At this point, we’re not playing for seeding, we’re just trying to win games and trying to get better every day. I’m going to have to, as a head coach, try to maintain a positive attitude because we’re going to lose more games than we have around here in quite awhile. I’m going to have to see how we improve each time out and try to harp on the things we’re doing better.

“It’s going to be a process and it’s probably going to be a season-long process, if not longer.”

Louisiana Tech is a demanding opening challenge for such a young team.

While the Bulldogs only have one senior (standout guard DaQuan Bracey), they bring back seven members of their rotation from last season’s 17-16 team. Louisiana Tech was picked by conference coaches to finish sixth in the 14-team Conference USA, while KenPom, Sagarin and Bart Torvik all have the Bulldogs rated between No. 136 and No. 149 in the country.

“When I watch their film, I don’t know why they were 16-17,” Marshall said. “It’s hard to fathom they would have that type of record because they look really good. They’ll certainly be all we can handle (Tuesday).

Marshall did say the team was coming off a “refreshingly good” practice on Sunday but did not offer any hints about who would be the opening-night starters.
          Comments on Samajae:

Playing in control: Senior point guard Samajae Haynes-Jones was brilliant at times in WSU’s 75-64 exhibition win over Catawba with a game-high 19 points. It wasn’t a surprise to WSU’s coaches, who have said Haynes-Jones has been scoring consistently in practices.

But there were a few occasions where the Wichita native was a little too eager to chase his own shots.

Marshall trusts Haynes-Jones to create his own shot but prefers that only happens with the shot clock in single-digits.

“He went 1-on-1 quite a bit, which he has a tendency to do because he can,” Marshall said. “And we’re going to need him to do that, so it’s a fine line. But we’d also like for him to run the offense and see if we can a real high-percentage shot before he has to do that at the end of the shot clock.”
          Comments on Markis:

‘Yo, you gotta slow down, bro’: Those were the words, relayed by Marshall, that West Virginia transfer Teddy Allen told Markis McDuffie following the Catawba game. McDuffie scored 14 points, but several of his 13 shots were forced, leading to four turnovers.

Following the exhibition, McDuffie called Allen for his opinion. The film study only backed up what everyone has told McDuffie since Tuesday: slow down.

“I didn’t really have to say much to Markis,” Marshall said. “It was pretty evident watching that film. I said, ‘Hey, this is not going to do it, bud. You have to slow down.’ I don’t know why, but at this stage, he’s pressing. He had played so well in practice prior to that. He wants to achieve and he wants to play at the highest level, but he’s going to have to be more efficient for sure.”
          Comments on Teddy:

Speaking of Teddy Allen… One day before WSU’s season opener and a final verdict hasn’t been delivered to the West Virginia transfer regarding his waiver to play this season.

Even if Allen is unable to play, Marshall said he provides tremendous value to a young team.

“He’s been through it and he knows what to expect,” Marshall said. “He doesn’t mind speaking his mind. He’s been a good sounding board for the guys. He’s not afraid to call them out. We’ve got to make sure that’s done the right way and keep Teddy in check too because he doesn’t always do the right things either.
          “Like (Sunday), he was hard to guard, man. He was scoring baskets left and right on scout team, but then he would blow a check or blow an assignment or throw the ball 10 rows into the stands. I would then stop coaching my guys and start coaching him on the scout team. ‘If you get this waiver and you start playing, we love the buckets you’re able to get, but this is going to hurt you and it’s going to hurt us.’”
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 5, 2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Get the latest Wichita State Odds, see their recent and upcoming schedule, matchups, injuries, stats, and team news.

The Shockers opening up as 10 point favorites.

Comment

There is some twitter account by a Celtics fan that reminds me of this Jeorg guy. I will see if I can find it

Comment

la tech had won 23 games per season five years in a row until last year. i'm interested to see them play.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  There is some twitter account by a Celtics fan that reminds me of this Jeorg guy. I will see if I can find it
                  So it's not even an original troll job?

Even lamer.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                    http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../wichita-state

The Shockers opening up as 10 point favorites.
                    I'm laying a dirty Benjamin on La Tech at +10. That seems absolutely insane easy money. Which means I'll likely eat it. Which I'd be ok with.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockTalk
                      ShockTalk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for taking one for the team, Fev.

Just FYI for any Tulsa area Shockers (this does not include Dave), game can be found on Tulsa Cox 1334 at 7pm tomorrow night.
                    Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

I’m not concerned that Wichita State won’t be well prepared for this game, however, I’m really interested to see the Shockers on the court this season as they have a ton of question marks. Charles Koch Arena is a tough place to play, however, I think the Bulldogs will be a better team then people expect as long as DaQuan Bracey stays healthy and I’m going to take Louisiana Tech and the points in this one.

Comment

Shocks 72
                        Dunkin Dogs 68

Comment

Hard to predict this first game with so many young players and inexperience. We’ll have to play tough, smart defense to make up for our offensive problems and control the boards. SHJ and McDuffie will have to play smart and within themselves to lead this very young team. Close game, to the wire, home court pulls us through......75-68 Shox

Comment

ESPN-3 has the game listed on their game schedule at 8:00 p.m. EST.

Comment

Working...
                            X