WSU vs Catawba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    By the way, any comments on this years men's poster. We've got at least 18 men's basketball posters (among other Shocker sports posters and memorabilia) hanging in our "Shocker Room". This poster will not be one of them. I am tired of the senior only posters. I was under the impression that we play as a team and all should be honored.
    Completely agree. I want the team poster back. Not a senior poster. If they want to highlight the seniors, fine. But include the whole team.

Comment

• I was about to overreact, but will wait.
      Last edited by captain; October 31, 2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        Late addition consideration for post of the year. Well done captain.

• pie n eye
        pie n eye commented
        Editing a comment
        Plenty of that going around already.

• I am calling my shot now: We are going to the Final Four this year! Ok, I am kidding of course. However, I do think things are not as bleak as many seem to think in this thread. We have a pile of Freshman, and they are going to be very up and down their first year. This is a rebuilding year and we are looking at 15-19 wins I think. I think we will be strong again within two year though. Its hard to predict a whole lot from one exhibition game, but here are my thoughts:

The good:

1. Burton will be somebody to rebuild around. He physically looks like and plays like a junior already. By far the most impressive last night.
      2, Stephenson - He plays smart and defensively looked pretty solid. Reminds me of a young Graham Hatch or maybe young Evan Wessel. He did not shoot much, but he put up points in high school and I am guessing the shots will come eventually.
      3. Rod Brown - This kid is super fast and athletic. He made some mistakes, but he also grabbed several rebounds over guys 6+ inches taller than him. I think he will be a good one. He plays almost like an undersized PF.
      4. Hayes-Jones - He saved us last night with some key shots.
      5. Poor Bear - Needs work, but has inside skills and puts in the effort. I think he will also be a good one.

The bad:

1. Rough game for McDuffie - Several times he made a basket and immediately committed a dumb foul at the other end of the court seconds later. He may be trying to do much.
      2. Chance Moore - Seemed very nervous and out of sync to me.
      3. Mitgard - Very slow. Their inside guys got around him with ease. I expected a jump up from his Freshman year and did not see it.

Undecided

1. Dennis - Had foul trouble. Not sure on him yet.
      2. Udeze - I guess he just did not stand out to me one way or another. I saw several others very complimentary of him though.
      3. Echinique - Appears to be a roll player. Not great or bad.
      4. Torres - He started didnt he? Did not seem to play much and was not memorable to me either.

We are going to have a few down years, but I think the coaching staff has given us some pieces for the future. I wonder who (if any) he decides to red shirt this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        Boatright should be embarrassed by his tweet. I assumed it was someone else of the same name or a parody account when I first saw it.
        #dontpunchdown

Comment

• Post-game ‘player of the game’ interview...

Freshman guard Jamarius Burton talked with Mike Kennedy and Dave Dahl from Shocker Radio after Wichita State's 75-64 win over Catawba.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            I listened to Mike and Dave with Burton after the game, and he sounded as impressive as his play was last night.

• Originally posted by ShockerD View Post
          The new shocker page does not have the box score. Does anyone have the link to the blog score?
          Marshall wasn’t a fan of the new look box score sheet.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Plenty of lessons to go around here. While DB may need to handle this differently, this young man shouldn’t bite the hand that may feed him. In other words, If he wants help finding a good job and needs references, he needs to be mindful of social media not being on his side but the Athletic Department could possibly help him. Just saying.
            Wait what? The hand that feeds him?

The fans are the ones that feed him. He should probably learn to handle criticism a bit better, given his track record.

And besides all of that, the video was garbage, the sound system sucked, and there were no stats displayed. And this goofball thinks people should be applauding the effort or keep their mouths shut? Is that an unfunny joke?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Steeleshocker
              Steeleshocker commented
              Editing a comment
              He's referring to Talan. Apparently he is a former manager and DB felt like someone with inside connections was making a public criticism. Not making a judgment either way, just trying to clear up confusion.

• I will reserve most player comments until after the next game. Generally speaking, it certainly wasn't our best foot forward out of the gate.

Watching Coach is going to be entertaining all season however. He was full beast mode 15 seconds into the game. Throughout the game several exchanges with players were fun to watch, a few staffers caught an earful, and if not for an exhibition game, I am certain he gets T'd up bigly for his rant against the one ref for the blarge call. Watching coach only is more than worth the price of admission all season long.

Comment

• The team is a work in progress, as we all expected.

In-game production stuff (like the intro video, scoreboard, sound, etc) are not, however. I simply don’t understand how at this point in time and stature of program WSU manages to do stuff like this so, so poorly. Frankly, it’s embarrassing. It’s “hold my beer and watch this” levels of incompetence.

ADDB should OWN criticism as the captain of the ship. The fact that he deflects and gets defensive towards the messenger, rather than focus on the message itself, says volumes. Leaders don’t go into ad hominem attacks when a crack in the hull presents itself, they look to fix the crack and see to it whomever allowed it to start is released of command. Instead we have what amounts to an absentee landlord, in this particular context.

Comment

• TheShocktocles
                TheShocktocles commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree with you. The intro video , scoreboard, sound, etc deserves to receive criticism. It is terrible. I will never understand why some people want to change what''s working. Coach Marshall sheet on the statistics is a classic example. " They " whoever they are changed it and he couldn't read it. This all falls on Boatright. He is suppose to be captain of the ship . Now act like it.

• Darron Boatright, you done jumped the shark brother...

I don't even know if that outburst would have been appropriate via private message. Staff feedback needs to be in person.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Cold, you're ok with most of the President's rants. Many of which I would say were more harsh than Darron's. Am I missing something here?

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                DB is not presiding over the greatest economy in 50 years.

You know I bailed on DB after the Butler debacle...

T

• WichitaStateGuy
                WichitaStateGuy commented
                Editing a comment
                lmao comment of the decade by cold.

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              ... a few staffers caught an earful....
              I watched online and noticed this, too. My wife said, "Well, even the coaching staff is new and he's teaching them, too." Any ideas what the problem(s) were with the staff?

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Each staff member has specific assignments on gameday. Coach might go directly to the player, and sometimes he hops up the food chain and calls out the staff in charge of what that player was supposed to do.

I wish I could remember when it was, but several seasons ago at a home game we were struggling mightily against a lesser opponent (doesn't narrow it down much I know) and Gregg spun around in mid transition and absolutely exploded on his entire coaching staff with a face as red as blood and a volume to match. Trust me, he got their attention.

Not as good as Mark's memorable rant in the SIU game circa 2004, but close.

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              I watched online and noticed this, too. My wife said, "Well, even the coaching staff is new and he's teaching them, too." Any ideas what the problem(s) were with the staff?
              One of them was after a player went in but didn't know who he was going in for.

Comment

• Regarding ADDB's response to the public criticism of the intro video he and his department could perhaps learn something about customer relations from a little restaurant in Burrton, KS (on Hwy 50 beytween Newton and Hutchinson). This restaurant had a nice write up in the Eagle so I looked into it. One of the things I usually do when checking places out is to review the reviews.

Most of The Barn's reviews were positive as they have a 4.6 out of 5 average rating. However, what struck me most about their reveiws was that the owner took the time to respond to the great majority of the reveiws including the occassional poor reveiws. Here is an example of a response to a negative review:

Dennis Farris reviewed theBarn2 star

April 29 ·

We went for breakfast on a Saturday morning, the restaurant wasn’t busy at all. We were seated quickly, received our drinks but then waited for about 15 more minutes to order. 25 minutes later a different server returned to ask what we ordered. We finally received part of our order at about the
                50 minutes mark. After eating about half of our meal the remainder of our order arrived. We were there approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes an never got our water refilled. From our observation other tables received the same quality of service. In all fairness to the service, one of the three servers appeared to be a very good. The food was great, but I hope management understands poor service trumps good food. This was our second visit in the past 6 months and the service hasn’t improved. The two star rating was only because the food was good, otherwise a ‘1’ is the best I could offer. Not too sure we will make the drive again.

Comments
                Dennis, thanks for coming to the Barn and for the review. I am sorry to hear that your visit was not what we would expect any of our guests to have. If you could tell me what time you came in and where you sat or if you know the name of your server. Again we are very sorry for this and want to know as much as we can to visit with staff so they can do better.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/theBarnB...=page_internal

Obviously this business owner believes that you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar.

BTW, I have never eaten at The Barn but I am inclined to give it a try one of these days.

Chicken fried steaks fly out of this small-town Kansas restaurant
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 31, 2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• RoyalShock
                  RoyalShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've eaten at The Barn several times. Always busy, always good food, always good service. Always.

Ok, that sounded like an old Walmart commercial, but you get the idea. The chicken fried steaks are huge.

• abdullah_sharif
                  abdullah_sharif commented
                  Editing a comment
                  been there a couple of times. pretty good food, mediocre service. personally, i prefer the chicken fried steak at cy's in sedgwick.

• Nobody has ANY clue where this team finishes at the end of the year so just stop embarrassing yourselves.

You had two lines of newbies playing in front of 10,500 fans that quickly fell into a hole against a team they "should crush". Then Marshall started undressing them in front of strangers as well as family and friends (I don't know which is worse to a newbie). Then Catawba started hearing the NFL theme song playing inside their heads and the rest was history. That D2 team had a bunch of aggressive, medium-sized athletes who on this night, seemingly couldn't miss. We had floaters, spinners, teardrops, rainbows, backboard free throws (dude didn't even crack a smile). Catawba looked just like an MVC team to me. Ask Loyola's NCAA opponents what it's like to play against a small-to-medium sized team that moves very well and hits 50%. The man defense they played was solid too.

When it's all said and done, it comes down to how many times you put it in the basket versus the other team. No matter our pedigree or size, or what division our opponent hails from, if they are shooting it and play inspired defense, the game will be close. We couldn't throw it in the ocean and the game was still close. I'm not worried. In fact, Burton and Poor Bear gave me even more to be excited about. I thought P-Bear was going to be a SERIOUS project. ****, he looks like he could be a bigger and better Shaq. He was panting and sweating his arse off. That's already light years ahead of where Shaq started from.

Don't worry your little heads one bit about Stevenson, DnD, Jaime, or the rest. You ain't seen nothin' yet. And I wouldn't even be worried about God Bear. He's never going to look good against a small and scrappy team - he's a friggin' giant. When we go up against an opponent with a big center, he'll give us some nice minutes denying the pass, protecting the rim, and forcing the defense to respect him because miraculously, he already knows what to do with the ball when he's inside 3 feet. Stutz never figured that one out in four years.

T

Comment

• Not really responding to you ShockBand ... thanks for posting this.

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                  What's wrong with this video? It's decent.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Video looks solid. I like a bunch of angry faces. JE looks READY!

T

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's what I thought. Sounds like the sound just didn't work well in the stadium.

• proshox
                    proshox commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So the video was shown in portrait mode which definitely effected the “quality.” I am not sure what was going on, but it was like watching a bad iPhone video.

Second the audio was so mumbled that the beat was gone. The song already has a less than obvious beat... so there was absolutely zero clapping. The crowd just waited for it to be over.

It was much better on my iPhone, but i am not sure it will ever “work well” on the big screen in Koch.
                Working...
                X