No announcement yet.

WSU vs Catawba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM just has to come to the realization that he can actually be our leading scorer and rebounder without being our leader. He will get his time and his shots, just needs to settle down and let someone run the team.

Comment

• FadedCrown
      FadedCrown commented
      Editing a comment
      Best option for him would be to play smart offense and aggressive D, lead by example.

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Not really responding to you ShockBand ... thanks for posting this.

What's wrong with this video? It's decent.
    Is this really a serious take? Is so I have a feeling you would have considered a three stooges video as decent.

IMO it's not acceptable to not incorporate our proud history into the video. The main purpose of the video should be to excite the crowd and nothing does like the pride and excitement generated by reminding them of the great plays and accomplishments this program has achieved.

Comment

• He seems to want to be the star. That ain't the same

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
        Boatright should be embarrassed by his tweet. I assumed it was someone else of the same name or a parody account when I first saw it.
        Agreed, And. That was such an implausible public response from an AD I also thought it had to be a fake, something straight out of The Onion; and I also agree that the use of a personal rather than official account is a "distinction without a difference," as the saying goes in the legal biz.

As for pushing back at higher levels in public life, Doc, I believe that's a different story altogether. Trump was never my preferred candidate in 2016 unlike he became the nominee. But I've actually become a fan of the way he responds to criticisms he considers bogus, because I believe that (a) there are lots of bogus criticism out there -- probably the great majority of them that appear in the mainstream media; and (b) the failure by his predecessors to do likewise has contributed to both the country being pushed significantly in the wrong direction and the widespread acceptance of wrongheaded leftist premises in political and cultural matters. But that's a discussion for a different forum.

By contrast, the interchange between an AD and a former Shocker athletics participant is of somewhat less significance -- a matter of management technique and even possibly mentoring rather than public affairs. And I don't think the response attributed to Boatright was one of his better efforts in any of those respects.

Comment

• ‘20 minutes to not be a national story’

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...220859875.html

Speaking to his team in the locker room following a first half where WSU struggled to create any separation from Catawba, Marshall had a simple motivational message to his team.

“You’ve got 20 minutes to not be a national story,” Marshall told them.
          This article includes a video of 3G's post-game presser which got off to a bad start when 3G was irritated by a new stat sheet format that he said he couldn't read. "Can we please go back to the old one."

On Markis McDuffie:

“In the first half, he played like another freshman,” Marshall said. “He got caught up in the same things that caused him to have a poor year last year. He’s been practicing so well for us, so I was really surprised by that. I thought Markis was back to being mature, really smart, but (Tuesday) he reverted back to the way he played last year when he struggled.

“He’s got to slow down and let the game come to him. He’s so talented and such a great kid, but for whatever reason, he’s in a big-time hurry.”

McDuffie admitted afterward that he was pressing in the first half. He felt obligated to be the team’s go-to player, the one who should handle the scoring burden. Instead, it led to McDuffie rushing into several contested jump shots that were well off the mark.

Down the stretch, McDuffie took more shots in rhythm and made three in a row to help the Shockers pull out the win.

“In the first half I tried to do too much in terms of trying to carry the load when I really didn’t have to,” McDuffie said. “That’s all learning. I’m still learning how to be a great leader. I couldn’t wait for this first game. You’re playing with these guys every single day and once you get to play another game you get anxious. That’s what happened to me and I’m learning.”
          Markis Not the Only One to Struggle Offensively:

McDuffie wasn’t the only Shocker who struggled offensively. Dexter Dennis and Ricky Torres figured to be two of WSU’s better players, but both were held scoreless on a combined 0-for-9 shooting night. Neither Asbjorn Midtgaard (four points, two rebounds) or Jaime Echenique (zero points, one rebound) capitalized on their height advantage.

The other freshmen — Chance Moore, Morris Udeze, Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler and Erik Stevenson — had a play or two that stood out, but no consistent stretches. Rod Brown had four points and four rebounds in 13 minutes.

“We had some guys that were kind of frozen in the moment, not playing with their hair on fire,” Marshall said. “I’ve got a lot of coaching to do. We’ve got to get guys to speed up on defense and rebounding and then slow down on offense.
          Bottom Line From Coach Marshall:

“It’s going to be up-and-down, I’ve been saying that for several months now and I hope now people can see what I’m talking about.”

Comment

• Beyond the box score: 10 stats you didn’t know from WSU’s exhibition win

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

1. WSU was at its best when Udeze, Stevenson and Brown saw the floor.

2. WSU’s defense struggled to protect the paint area.

3. The Shockers played a small-ball four for 39 of 40 minutes.

4. It was just a bad jump shooting game for the Shockers.

5. Only 13 of 36 lineup combinations for WSU outscored Catawba.

6. The Shockers didn’t share the ball like they normally do.

7. WSU could lead the country in bench minutes.

8. The most-played lineup only saw 3:39 of court time together.

9. WSU might struggle with turnovers like in the early years of the Marshall era.

10. The starting lineup was actually the worst lineup of the night.

Comment

• WSU player grades: Freshman Jamarius Burton turns in complete performance vs. Catawba

BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE

In a new feature this season, The Eagle’s Taylor Eldridge will hand out grades for each player after watching a replay of the game and studying more than just the box score stats.

The grading scale is from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best performance. Players begin each game at a 6, so that is considered an average performance.

Jamarius Burton (8.5) About as well as a freshman could play off the bench in an opening game. Showed maturity and always looked in control. Only took good looks and as a result made 6 of 7. Rebounded well (five) and finished with three assists. Displayed a high basketball IQ several times on top of terrific on-ball defense. Only negative was three turnovers.

Samajae Haynes-Jones (7.5) Scored a game-high 19 points on a good shooting night. Consistently beat his defender off the dribble to create open looks, but settled for a few too many long twos for my liking. Didn’t create much for others, but also only had one turnover. Defense was acceptable given his offensive burden.

Erik Stevenson (7) Nothing flashy, but did a ton of the small details that it takes to win. Also showed high basketball IQ with his positioning and never tried to force things on offense. Played terrific defense, hustled for loose balls, rebounded well (five) and had two (should have been three) assists.

Rod Brown (6.5) An under-the-radar good performance. Did everything WSU asked him and did it well. Gets after it defensively and crashes the glass hard. Plays bigger than 6-6. Played his role perfectly on offense as a cutter and finished twice inside. Only negative was two sloppy turnovers.

Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler (6) Foul trouble limited his minutes, but it was telling Marshall had him on the floor with the game on the line. WSU even responded with its best stretch of the game with him out there. Looked the most natural on offense of all the posts and showed some nice range with a 15-footer. Troubling he failed to record a rebound in six-plus minutes.

Morris Udeze (6) Has a nose for the ball rebounding and showed his rim-protecting skills with a volleyball spike block. WSU even ran a set to open the second half to get him a post-up chance and he converted. But Catawba exploited him defensively when it made him guard around the perimeter.

Markis McDuffie (5.5) Salvaged his night with a great 5-minute stretch late with clutch shots. But the first 30 minutes saw him constantly rush himself on offense and fall victim to too many defensive lapses for a senior. Pulled the trigger on a lot of contested shots and made some open looks he did have tougher than they should have been.

Chance Moore (5.5) Looked confident attacking and flashed late in the first half on a drive and finish. Ball-watching is an issue with his defense and caused a late reaction that led to him fouling a three-point shooter to end the first half.

Asbjorn Midtgaard (5.5) The botched wide-open layup is what many will remember, but Midtgaard was aggressive pursuing rebounds and had several tip-outs that gave WSU extra possessions. Did well to catch a bullet entry pass and finish through contact for a slam dunk. Still, WSU’s offense struggled when he was on the floor.

Dexter Dennis (4.5) Didn’t leave an imprint on the game because of foul trouble for most of his 13 minutes. Pressed on offense which led to forcing a handful of contested shots and an 0-for-5 night. Never had opportunity to showcase his athleticism.

Jaime Echenique (4.5) Never capitalized on his size advantage. Only grabbed one rebound in nine minutes and missed a box-out that led to giving up an offensive rebound. His stroke from deep looked good, but missed both shots. Not many mistakes, but not many positive plays either.

Ricky Torres (4.5) Looked out of rhythm in this game. Struggled defensively and died a little too easily on screens. Finished 0 for 4, but took three great looks that just didn’t fall. WSU wasn’t good on either end in his 15 minutes.

Comment

• shockerfan
                shockerfan commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree, they will hear worse from their coaches. And in this day and age of kids feeling entitled, the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality and only feeding kids positivity...learning to take criticism is a GREAT thing.

I think this is perfectly acceptable.

• im4wsu
                im4wsu commented
                Editing a comment
                Stickboy -- Taylor didn't say anything the coaches hadn't already said, but probably in a different way.

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought the range of 8.5 to 4.5 where 6 is average was mild to most anything said here or, especially, the locker room. He found good in not-so-good performances or understandable reasons that hurt performance. A good "let me review the game again before I open my mouth" approach.

• couple random thoughts on the game...

** it's obviously going to be a long learning year. the guys seem eager to learn and they have a great coaching staff to lead the way. watch out when these guys get some experience.

** i really don't care about the ncaa tournament streak - i just want these guys to learn the right way. nit would be a nice first step.

now to the things that we can control today... and old wounds.

** here we are again talking about in-game production.
              ** my personal opinion is that the intro video looks as if it was created by a 5th grade class and not a professional or college student. i expect better from a top 50 basketball school.
              ** everyone around me turned and asked me why player stats weren't on the board.. i didn't have an answer. it needs to change.
              ** please bring back the sound guy from last year. it sounded like the system at baylor for anyone that made the trip there last year.. not good at all.
              ** can we do something with the in-game promos? i know that the companies write checks that help the school and this year is probably spoken for, but can someone in the athletic department hit the web for some ideas on what other schools/teams are doing. hell, i don't advertise for my company, but if i did, i'd sponsor the band or dance team and let them get the crowd fired up during the timeouts. that is one thing that baylor did a damn good job of. our place is a dungeon unless someone hits a prayer of a shot from half court on the furniture promo.

for those that don't know me, i served six years on the scholarship board and was a member of the coach's club.

Comment

• The in-game stats seemed to be a glitch. Not an intentional change. Unless I read this tweet wrong:

Due to technical difficulties the in-game videoboard stats are not working tonight. Fans can find up-to-date stats here: https://t.co/y5gOLLVee1
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• lol the new "Yurview" thing pulled the replay of the game already due to a "Rights holder Request"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    lol the new "Yurview" thing pulled the replay of the game already due to a "Rights holder Request"
                    I saw that too. Who is the rights holder?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        lol the new "Yurview" thing pulled the replay of the game already due to a "Rights holder Request"
                        Wtf does that mean? I was able to watch the replay last night.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Stickboy46
                          Stickboy46 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I thought they were the rights holder... But no clue.

• ShockingButTrue
                          ShockingButTrue commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Aren't they out of KC? That would explain it.

• Going back and reviewing game tape revealed an uncanny similarity between Burton's game and that of former Hoosier great Q. Buckner; quick hands. Smart. Big class state champ.

Really like Haynes-Jones' new found confidence too.

GGG is gonna' shorten up the bench next Tues. I look for a hard-earned win. Confidence builder.

Comment

• I think he shortens the bench after Charleston Classic...

Comment

Working...
                          X