Rice arrested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice arrested

Get the latest Des Moines news and weather. The KCCI news team brings you the best in local coverage and all the top stories from across the state.

Tough blow for Drake but maybe now they can finally end the Phelps project. Time to start from scratch.

Comment

Wow, pathetic. Petty shoplifting?
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Pathetic indeed.

Potentially throw away a year of Division I basketball for possibly a pair of sneakers?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

D+

Comment

Good thing he's not from a big name school. Otherwise we would have to hear the pay for play argument yet again.

Comment

I would expect both players to be in uniform for Drake this year after serving a relatively short suspension of 2-3 games or something like that plus some community service time.

Comment

It's amazing reading the different Valley borads how many posters think this is no big deal. If convicted, DU will have 2 thieves representing their school.

I don't care if it is "petty" thieving or not, the fact is, if convicted, these 2 players are THIEVES. They are the face of DU hoops and also The Valley.

It IS a problem having known thieves representing The Valley. :-x
                KEEP IT ROCKIN' VALLEY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyclimber
                  It's amazing reading the different Valley borads how many posters think this is no big deal. If convicted, DU will have 2 thieves representing their school.

I don't care if it is "petty" thieving or not, the fact is, if convicted, these 2 players are THIEVES. They are the face of DU hoops and also The Valley.

If this were a discussion of a WSU player and centered around Wichita State, I would stay out of this, but since this is a Drake player and you have directed this to your dismay over what others think, I'll add my $.02

What they did was wrong. What they did was inexcusable. What they did is an embarrassment to the university. It was also more than a simple lapse of judgement; thye knew it was wrong and did it anyway. With that, what do you think should be done?

I suppose we cut cut their hands off. We could put them in prison for a few years, force them to wear a big letter "T" on their clothes that would identify them to everyone as a thief. That would show 'em!!!

At the university level, Drake could cut them loose, afterall, they embarrassed the school and trampled all over the expectations of athletes. That too, would show 'em!

With that, it would probably be in the best interests of all parties that they go to court, pay a fine, be placed on probabtion and set free. At the university level, they should be punished, sit a few games and be placed in some sort of probationary status. With that, they didn't get away with a crime, they paid a price and were placed under greater scrutiny by the government, their coaches, peers and the administration. Therefore, they would be punished for what they did, and still have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and have the opportunity to learn, earn a degree and become a productive member of society.

To me, yes it is a big deal. But it's nothing to get too worked up over. I have always believed that athletes should be placed under the same microscope as non-athletes. What does Drake do to the accounting major that commits an act as evil as shoplifting? I bet for a first offense, it's nothing. What I have offered is more exterme than what happens to students that aren't athletes. In other words, while not always popular with fanbases from other schools, it's probably fair and just. If the general population of colleges were limited to those that had never shoplifted, campuses across the country would be much smaller. Much, much smaller.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

should we give them the business when they come to town?

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John
                      To me, yes it is a big deal. But it's nothing to get too worked up over. I have always believed that athletes should be placed under the same microscope as non-athletes. What does Drake do to the accounting major that commits an act as evil as shoplifting? I bet for a first offense, it's nothing. What I have offered is more exterme than what happens to students that aren't athletes. In other words, while not always popular with fanbases from other schools, it's probably fair and just. If the general population of colleges were limited to those that had never shoplifted, campuses across the country would be much smaller. Much, much smaller.
                      Academic scholarships can be revoked over the recipient committing a criminal offense, so I don't really think that A) non-athletes see no penalties for this kind of offense, or B) that a couple of games suspension is a harsher penalty than the penalty a non-athlete might receive.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

+1 MVJ

Comment

I'm in the "ho-hum" camp on this. For something that happened in Iowa and gets talked about in Kansas, shoplifting is just barely above the insignificance threshold.

He's already had the detainment, the arrest, he's going to have fines, possible restitution, court dates, etc. That's enough for me. I won't think less of Drake University or Drake's basketball team because of this.

Rice didn't show a lot of intellect or deductive reasoning. It doesn't take a genius to figure out there's a reason for the detectors at the door and the deactivating devices at checkout. Any reasonably bright person can figure out that the entire store is under surveillance from multiple camera angles. Stores are more efficient at catching shoplifters than they used to be.

But, I don't follow Rice's college career because of any expectation that he is a great intellectual thinker.

Breaking into another student's room and stealing their stuff, kicking down doors, punching girlfriends, unwanted and inappropriate touching in closed elevators, etc. I'll save my indignation for stuff like that.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John
                            Originally posted by valleyclimber

If this were a discussion of a WSU player and centered around Wichita State, I would stay out of this, but since this is a Drake player and you have directed this to your dismay over what others think, I'll add my $.02

What they did was wrong. What they did was inexcusable. What they did is an embarrassment to the university. It was also more than a simple lapse of judgement; thye knew it was wrong and did it anyway. With that, what do you think should be done?

I suppose we cut cut their hands off. We could put them in prison for a few years, force them to wear a big letter "T" on their clothes that would identify them to everyone as a thief. That would show 'em!!!

At the university level, Drake could cut them loose, afterall, they embarrassed the school and trampled all over the expectations of athletes. That too, would show 'em!

With that, it would probably be in the best interests of all parties that they go to court, pay a fine, be placed on probabtion and set free. At the university level, they should be punished, sit a few games and be placed in some sort of probationary status. With that, they didn't get away with a crime, they paid a price and were placed under greater scrutiny by the government, their coaches, peers and the administration. Therefore, they would be punished for what they did, and still have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and have the opportunity to learn, earn a degree and become a productive member of society.

Sanity restored.

Seriously, a class 5 misdemeanor could be a couple of idiots stealing a $1 pack of condoms because they were too embarrassed to take 'em to the counter.

Did they do something wrong? Yup. Did it endanger innocent citizens' lives like Eglseder's drunk driving episode, which he got suspended 3 games for? Not -- even -- close. Just suspend 'em a game or two and be done with it. Sheesh.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Intellectually he has to be smarter than any of the players or graduates of our fine PUBLIC University because thats what they tell us at the drop of a hat. How is this any different than what happened with jacob pullen and his buddy last year at k state? Let the authorities handle it and the administration deal out the punishment. Lets keep moving folks not a lot to see here.

Comment

Working...
                              X