No announcement yet.

Black and Yellow Scrimmage scouting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teddy Buckets was better the first 10 minutes than the second.
    Chance much better on both sides on the ball in the second.
    Impressed with Burton at the point in the 1st 10.
    Freshmen are indeed athletic, but still freshmen.

Comment

Burton Stevenson Dennis Moore Morris all freshmen lineup

Comment

Pretty ho-hum. Defense seemed to be way ahead of the offense.

Good news: There's still about 3 months until league play
        Bad news: Didn't look like that would be enough.

Dennis - OK.
        McDuffie - Emmy-Award performance as The Invisible Man
        Burton - Played some PG
        SHJ - Looked pretty good, but the lights were not all that bright for this scrimmage
        Brown - Looked really good on the big screen during introductions
        Stevenson - The best thing I could find was his attitude in interviews last spring.
        Udeze - Foul machine. 3 fouls in 20 minutes of a non-stop clock
        Echenique - Made Midtgaard look like an obvious starter
        Moore - Had swagger and the game to back it up! Player.
        Allen - Answered the "man or boy" question. The answer is "man"
        Midtgaarfd - Looked more mobile and agile than last year

Midtgaard easily got the tip away from Echenique.

For those who think Stevenson's shot will fall, please check his shooting stats in HS. I think some on here are taking his shooting percentages off his highlight films. I thought he looked like an early contender for the end of the bench.

There's a lot of things going to have to make significant changes if the Shox are going to finish in the upper half of the league.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• choida
          choida commented
          Editing a comment
          Just have to find 5 players to play well at a time...

• Chickenhawk hunter
          Chickenhawk hunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Good thing they only played two ten minute periods.

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          "Echenique - Made Midtgaard look like an obvious starter"

Crazy talk. And Jamie didn't take the jump ball. Jaime would beat Midtgaard everyday and twice on Sunday for jump balls. His arms are eleventeen feet long. Midtgaard is scared of Jamie's arms, just ask him.

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by Slykryck View Post
        Lots of mentions of SHJ from Taylor on Twitter. All positive. What’s the deal?
        He must've just been commenting on 2 of the 12 shots he made.

He's a shoot-first PG. He only passes when he realizes he's not going to get a clean shot off and flails it off at the last minute that usually leads to turnovers. He just doesn't run the offense at all. He stands and dribbles way too much. It's just a looming disaster. He's still 85% JUCO/15% D-1.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• TheShocktocles
          TheShocktocles commented
          Editing a comment
          In my opinion I don't think SHJ is a point guard that leads a team and run the offense. But I do think he could fill the role that Conner Frankamp had last year only more athletic and certainly more quicker. I liked JB at point. Somebody said he looked like he was just out there. Right. But that's not bad. He ran the offense, played good defense and did not turn it over. My big concern with him is that he did not penetrate to the basket enough. He did make the winning shot and that's good. To bad we didn't get to see Ricky Torres.

It was nice to see the new guys, but if this is how the event is going to be moving forward....

It’s time to take it out back and kill it.
        The Assman

Comment

• proshox
          proshox commented
          Editing a comment
          Terrible take. Play basketball. This was by far the least embarrassing version. Give me more basketball...

Originally posted by shelback View Post
        SHJ is going to be one of the guys this year!!!
        Well then he's gonna be one of the guys on a 16-14 team.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Your thoughts on SHJ are akin to celebrities on Trump.

Nothing during the scrimmage was impressive.
          Wtf does that mean? I don't care what his stats are in a scrimmage. I care the way he manages and plays. There were plenty of other players that were more impressive in the scrimmage in their first years in the program.

SHJ was doing the exact thing he was doing last year when he got minutes. So no, nothing has changed.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I have to keep reminding myself that we have a boat load of new players learning 3G's system. learning their roles and learning how to play with each other. Plus I think this year's event is quite a bit earlier in the season than it has been previously. This was never going to be a fine tuned performance.

General impressions were that we look like we will be able to pick it up on the defensive end this year. Right now the bigger question is where the offense will come from.

No sign that the Sophomore version of Markis is back. Still showed a tendency to force things and when he forces things he is not very good.

Samajae had one of his patented wild out-of-control drives but overall wasn't too bad. Knocked down several perimeter shots. OTOH hand Jamarius seemed to be the more steady floor general. Jamarius really didn't look to score much until the game was on the line then he just bulled his way to the basket to bank in the game winner when the game was on the line. Jamarius won't face too many guards that have a strength advantage over him. With Ricky not playing we may not have seen this year's starting point guard.

Teddy Allen understands how to use his body and he has great instincts for being in the right spot. Doesn't look like he will give us much on the perimeter although he only took one outside shot but it was pretty ugly. But he sure can maneuver in the paint.

Dexter Dennis, Chance Moore and Jamarius Burton were the most impressive of the Freshman and they all look like the will be key components this year which each bringing a little bit different skill set to the table..

Our bigs are big. What they bring beyond that remains to be seen. Looks like we may be using another 3-headed monster approach this year. Poor Bear unfortunately was still in hibernation.

No doubt a lot of work ahead for this team. Probably didn't see enough today and at this very early point in the season to form any strong opinions about this team one way or the other.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 6, 2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

So far Eric Stevenson is and has been our best cheerleader... And I mean that with the utmost respect.

Comment

MM may have forced a bit, but that line up, well let's just say there was a log jam in the paint. There was no spacing. All the shooters, or at least the ones who were looking for a shot, were on the other squad. So I'm not gonna take away much from that.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well. I had no idea this event was even happening and that it was replacing shocker madness. I wasn’t even looking for an event to take place for another week or two. Guess I missed it. Need to pay better attention. Is it just me or was there no effort to market this? Oh well

Comment

So...............Duff looked the same as before, SHJ looked the same as last year...........AM looked the same as last year?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          So...............Duff looked the same as before, SHJ looked the same as last year...........AM looked the same as last year?
                          Markis did not have a good outing. I did not think Samajae looked as bad as he was last year although not convinced he will be the starting point guard. I thought Asbjorn look a little quicker and a bit more mobile than last year. He was 2nd in rebounding with 6 behind Teddy's 7. He had a couple of put back attempts he missed, one of which was pretty difficult. He needs to work on his finishing. At this point I am expecting he will be part of the 3-headed solution at the 5. Remember Asbjorn is still just a sophomore who played very little as a freshman.

Comment

Working...
                          X